TESTING: it's not just for dinner anymore

Discussion in 'Drug Testing and Legal Issues' started by serra, May 17, 2004.

1. serra

serra tentacle girl

so what are your thoughts on drug testing?? isn't it just the most immoral and gross thing that employers/authority figures/opressors/ect. can do??

i think it's a lot worse in the states and especially in certain areas of work. but still. what's in my body is nobody's buisness but mine!!

(ps. first thread in this forum i rock!)

so what's everyone's experiences with being tested? ever loose/not get a job because of your dirtiness? (kidding) i've never had to take a test, just been asked questions by my doctor. i lied, but i won't next time.

2. Jetblack

Jetblack Senior Member

i only got tested wen i was in the hospital because of some nasty DXM effects but ya..that the only time and the test came up with positive for DXm and opiates but some of the stuff in cough syrup are relatives of the poppy seed family or something like that

3. EllisDTripp

EllisDTripp Green Secessionist

Drug testing is a violation of the 4th and 5th amendments to the US constitution. Unfortunately, as in so many other situations involving drugs, the US courts have simply carved out a "drug exception" to constitutional rights, which shows no sign of being done away with anytime soon. :(

There are still places that don't test, and I would advise people who care to seek them out when looking for a job. I have never worked for an employer who tests, and never will. I would rather be judged by the quality of my work than the content of my urine. A pretty comprehensive list of companies without urine-testing programs is available at:

http://www.nontesterslist.com/nontesters/

The only urine sample anybody is getting out of me will be for a taste test! :)

4. Ediction421

Ediction421 Member

Yeah! Word em up Ellis...

5. serra

serra tentacle girl

no kidding! SHIT. that is exactly right- it's an INSULT. as long as a person's preformance remains consistantly good, then whatever is in their bodies is their own damn buisness.
    even if they are at work! what if being stoned made you BETTER at your job? (there are some jobs where this is possible!) so stupid.

*bangs head against wall*

6. xaosflux

xaosflux Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I sued to work in a company that did random drug tests...and they aren't random..when it was test time they had a mobil testing lab pull up and sent employees out...

I was on office staff and was asked to pick out of the people currently on shift (it was evenging shifts 4:00-11:00pm mostly young college kids working part time) and told to try to pick people that 'need to be tested'. I picked the soberest people working there..one was a pregnant girl (6 months preg)!! They weren't to impressed with my choices..I left that company about 2 months after that!

7. UTcolorchangn420

UTcolorchangn420 Member

Good to hear you stood up to the bastards.

I haven't had a job that drug tested yet, but I'm sure I will once I get out of college. When and if I do, I most likely will just quit for a couple of months to pass the test.

Anyone know how long urine will last in the freezer? If it lasts for a long time I'll just collect alot of my piss whenever I'm clean for the test. That way I always have some clean urine on hand if they ever try and spring a surprise test on me.

8. Unkle_John

Unkle_John Member

I have only worked for two companies that required the "piss test" from it's employees. One was Miller beer and the other is my current (thought they stopped 3 years ago..thankfully). Though Miller only required for employment the current one was a "random" with a few days heads up from management. I had one hair sample and it was a BS thing too (thanks block buster).

Mainly companies DT because of the insurance company. They want to keep tabs on who does what so, well lets say, you have a few accidents and try to claim workers comp, they can say "well your DT came back positive for this or that". "how do we not know if you are under the influence..."

I totally agree that it's none of their damn business and I just tell them it's against my beliefs. Ifthey want to fire me for non compliance then I have a few surprises for them up my sleave.

9. EllisDTripp

But the fact that a UA comes back positive (particularly for marijuana) has absolutely NO BEARING on whether an employee is/was under the influence while on duty. Drug metabolites are detectable in urine for far longer than the effects of the drug will last, essentially penalizing employees for what they might be doing on their OWN TIME.

There are alternative testing possibilities involving hand-eye coordination tests, mental agility tests, etc. that can be administered to employees in safety-sensitive positions immediately before they begin their shift that will not only detect drug/alcohol intoxication, but distraction or mental stress from ANY cause. Somebody stressed-out from going through a messy divorce or showing up to work sleep-deprived is every bit as dangerous as somebody who shows up high on drugs, and random urine testing will do NOTHING to catch them. Fitness-for-duty testing WILL, if administered to all employees before work begins. These tests will satisfy insurance company requirements just like a piss-testing program will, without the constitutional or privacy concerns.

In addition to insurance company regs, another leading reason for the prevalence of urine testing in the workplace is a piece of Reagan-Era legislation called the "Drug-Free Workplace Act". Under this act, any business that receives government contracts MUST take steps to reduce drug use among employees, including urine testing.

10. tinkerbella208

tinkerbella208 Member

right on! lol where do you work!?

11. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

Me too! I have never and never would work for a facist company which drug tests. I am amazed so many companies still do. There was a study a few years ago which found the average company which tested "randomly" already hired workers was spending more than $80,000 to find a SINGLE positive test and most of those were marijuana. A waste of money which is passed on to the consumer of the companies products or services. I also have stopped shopping at Franks Nursery because they drug test. (I would think being high would be the only way to get through the day at that place! ;) ) I mailed them a letter saying how much I disapproved of testing of employees, and that I would not shop at their store any more. I didn't get a respose.

12. nesta

nesta Banned

i think in nearly all cases its unnecessary, undesirable, and slightly if not entirely immoral; that said i think its important in a few particular occupations. for example, i wouldnt want there to be firefighters or cops or paramedics using drugs often. although in general people learn to cope with drug use, at some point in time in some way it really does affect your ability to function normally, and when other people's lives are in your hands i think that its very important for you to be at your peak

13. Psilodelix

Psilodelix Member

I really have nothing to add... I just want to chime in in agreement with everyone.

Employers cannot justify their dispicable actions because of insurance company policy. Just another example of how MONEY won out over freedoms of individuals humans, funny how common that is.
    -PsDX

14. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

I used to work at Kroger. They do an oral swab when you sign on and then "randomly" test you if someone is a ratfink. If the management gets word that someones a user you get piss tested. I actually did the job stoned and it was a lot easier. Your supposed to be social with the customers and it makes you converse with them easier. Makes the hour fly by too... then you start to come down and the rest of the day DRAGGGGGGGGS!

15. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

I was chatting with my mom (she's in her mid 60s) last night. I mentioned that I had to pee in a cup for the new job.

My never-done-drugs-in-her-life mom spouts off, "Great, more invasion of privacy! Damn Republicans."

Whoda thunk it?
    Perhaps I'll get her to try SOMETHING with me one day... about the time my son wants to...LOL

16. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

that would only happen if they actually cared.

17. EllisDTripp

If people who are wrongly "convicted" by unreliable piss tests start to haul employers into court, they might START to care.....:)

18. Mushroom Master

Mushroom Master Member

Drug testing is really wrong i think people shouldn't worry what other people do in thier free time. I think the that companies shouldn't drug test thier workers Its not hurting the company if they do unless they like come to work high or something then they should do something but if it's not at work they should deal with it

19. Purple Haze

Purple Haze Member

I think that it's an insult for employers....it's a violation of human rights...what should they care what's in my urine..or what I do with my life....it's what I do for them and how well I do it is what should matter....if I work hard and responsibly...why should they care what I do outside the working area....

My mother made me get tested like twice...like a couple of years ago when I got caught...I was hooked on meth/heroin/coke....bad times....had to go to rehab and everything...it was horrible....

20. pepper8candy

pepper8candy Guest

so i totally got busted a year ago. i was court ordered to an out patient re-hab(on a first offense, class c misdemeanor) i had to do random testing, i so didn't want to stop my lifestyle. i did a lot of reading on the net and i found a very stupid site, but i was desperate that day bought the e book put the formulas together and passed so now i totally recommend the site: www.thestudentloanninja.com. the site is dumb and the domain name has nothing to do with the content, but it worked! and yes it is a total violation of privacy so i figure never trust a person who wants to play with your pee to find out what your into, just ask stupid!