Terry Pratchett - Discworld

Discussion in 'Humor Books' started by esco, Feb 28, 2006.

1. esco

esco Member

Anyone reading the Discworld novels? I only read a few and they really make me laugh.. :)

2. hippiejessica

hippiejessica Member

I LOVE 'SOUL MUSIC'!!!

Read it! The name of the band is 'The Band With Rocks In It' (the rock band) and they play 'Music with rocks' (rock music), and there are references to a bunch of different '60s and '70s bands. I'm blanking on 'em because it was 4 years ago I read it, but the only one I can remember is the Sex Pistols reference. They write a song called 'Anarchy in Ankh-Morpork' (where they live).

3. esco

esco Member

All of the novels are full of referances like this.. I like the Death novels best...

4. cameltoeman

cameltoeman Member

i luv diskworld my favorites r the ones with the three witches

5. moonlight phoenix

moonlight phoenix Member

I love discworld too and am currently reading them in order, I'm up to Maskerade.
    Soul music is one of the best and also Wyrd Sisters

6. Oz!

Oz! Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Funniest books ever written!

Favourites are the Witches books (mainly cos i have a secret crush on Nanny Ogg :H ) ...... closely followed by The Watch books..... but Mort is by far my overall fave :D

Just finished Monstrous Regiment.... patiently waiting for Thud! to come out in paperback...

7. Buritos

Buritos Member

Ive read colour of magic,light fantastic,interesting times (my favourite so far ^^),the last continent,mort,soul music and eric. He's definitely one of the greatest people in the world ever.

I had a dream the other night that I bought 4 imaginary terry pratchett book's for 55p each,but it somehow summed up to 2.30..

8. Eugene

Eugene Senior Member

i, personally, think it's pretty scary that the taxman can get you in your dreams... those s.o.b.'s never give up.

neways, i've read all of them, most twice (some four or five times).
    my favorite is probably 'reaper man.'

9. Aristartle

Aristartle Snow Falling on Cedars Lifetime Supporter

10. Black_Books

Black_Books Member

I know this is, in effect, bumping/necroposting, this thread, but so be it. Terry Pratchett and his Discworld series is still one of the funniest and fun series I've read. I have watched the movie(David Jason et al...) and it wasn't really up to my expectations.

It is terrible, his Alzheimer's. My Grandfather had it and I'm possibly at risk. It's a terrible thing for such a bright author.

-BlkBks

11. Mr. Frankenstein

Mr. Frankenstein Malice...in Sunderland

I think it's starting to show a bit too... his latest - Snuff - seemed a bit messy by comparison with his others...poor plot development, etc.

I didn't see the TV version, but I heard some of the radio adaptations and I didn't think they did the books justice...though I guess they were abridged somewhat.

12. Isadoran

Isadoran Member

I love disc World. If I get depressed all I have to do is reread one of those books and I will end up laughing my head off. The first time I heard about Terry's illness I cried.