Terrible Star Trek Sci-Fi

Discussion in 'Sci-Fi TV' started by Shale, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Shale

Shale ~

TERRIBLE STAR TREK SCI-FI

I have enjoyed Star Trek TOS since reruns on TV in the 1970s. I enjoy most of the stories and know the poor production values of the series, but if the sci-fi was sound you just overlooked the special effects. However, some episodes had pretty lame stories that just did not fit with the knowledge of science and space that most of us had even back then - like sounds in space.

One episode really got me and I guess blame the writers and editors and everyone else on production who knew about Vulcan characters. Spock was exposed to extreme light or something and comes out of the chamber stating that he was blind. (cut to commercial). Of course Spock was not blind, he had overlooked the redundant inner eyelids of Vulcan anatomy or some such explanation. Really, Spock FORGOT about Vulcan anatomy? I have never had any problems with my appendix but I know that I have one and if I got a pain in my right lower ab, I would think about it.

Yesterday I saw another Trek episode that had me screaming at my TV.

I just got the DVD set for all 4 seasons of Star Trek Enterprise. I liked the cast and set up when it played on TV from 2001 - 2005.

Still in first season is episode "Rogue Planet," which makes me wonder if the ppl who write sci-fi actually know high school SCIENCE. This rogue planet was not in a solar system, just out in cold space, but heated thermally. OK, I can buy that and the fact that there were life forms on this planet which had a breathable atmosphere. What I don't buy is the JUNGLE landscape on a perpetually dark planet. When the light shined the banana plants were still GREEN. You know like full of chlorophyll for producing sugar in SUNLIGHT, thru photosynthesis.

I know they need a setting to get thru the story, but they should have had a set devoid of plants - just rock formations, maybe with fungi or things that do not grow in sunlight. It was very distracting to the story knowing stupid the background was - worse than hearing explosions in space.

Fortunately the next episode that I watched tonight was "Acquisition," where some Ferengie gas everyone to sleep on enterprise while they loot the ship. Except Trip (Connor Trineer), who was in a decontamination chamber. For half the episode

Trip is tripping around the ship in his blue undies. An eye-candy episode that made up for the irritating previous one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Wait till the fourth season of Enterprise, which is pretty awesome

It will make you wonder why the F they didnt do it like that the first 3 seasons

1 person likes this.
  3. Shale

Shale ~

Yeah, I know I liked some of the episodes I remember - it's why I got the set. This first season, T'Pol (Jolene Blalock) is a much more rigid Vulcan than I recall.

She eventually loosens up a bit.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. ultravio1et

ultravio1et Members

loved the whole Enterprise show, fave trek TV show for me