Tennessee Schools Now Required To Trust God

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by tumbling.dice, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

The fact it can be written over all those things and you don't think about it and it doesn't mean a thing doesn't make it harmless.
    The idea we should put our trust in God is implying we shouldn't think too much, but just accept things as God's will.
    It might seem to have no effect but the things we read and hear every day will shape us in ways we might not realise. Look at advertising.

relaxxx likes this.
  2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

You really take "In God We Trust" as in just throwing your hands up, giving up your free will, don't think about anything? I can't see how placing your own nations motto which was adopted in 1956 will have any significant impact on school kids. They're either going to graduate or not whether that slogan is present or not.

I know this is purely an atheist debacle "I don't want my kids going to a school that believes in God" but what about the children's and families that do? If that slogan can help 100 kids it'll have done its job, but what it's not going to do is put a burden on any children that don't. If that's going to get to them, if people are literally going to protest and flunk school based a on national slogal. LOL. There's more problems in the country than a slogan. There's a real attitude problem.

NotMyRealName likes this.
  3. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Yes, yes.. Acknowledged :p

I actually thought of it after i posted! Shouldn't it be 'brought forth'...? But ah well

4. Asmodean

I think Australia has in liquor we trust :p

5. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

But in the US it is a big deal to some. The Ten Commandments once hung on the walls of public schools until the courts ruled it a violation of the separation of church and state. There are fundamentalists who have never gotten over this and ever since have been looking for a way to put God back in the schools. They think they have found a way by using the national motto; there's no way that could be deemed unconstitutional is there?

Incidentally, we have two national mottos; the other is 'e pluribus unum' (out of many, one). It first appeared on US coins in 1795. If the true intention of posting the national motto was not to put the word 'God' in public schools then Tennessee could have chosen that one but, you know, it might have been interpreted as being too inclusive.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2018
  6. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Ah well, in another 100 years or so it won't even matter as the atheists will just continue to grow in numbers like they are, we will have gone from bickering against each other about which and who's faith in God is real to bickering between each other about which hypothetical, theoretical and fantasy thesis on the the creation of the universe.

Lulz. The irony.

7. Asmodean

8. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

When I was a wee lad we had to recite the Lord's Prayer every morning after the salute to the flag. Being a Catholic at the time I always felt excluded and singled out as I stopped before the Protestant "For thine is the kingdom, the power, and the glory, For ever and ever" ending.

Why should any mention be made of a god or gods in a secular school?

9. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Yeah, I have always said this...but no one hears me either...until someone else says it.
    I give up trying to help anyone here. i am done,.

Deidre and guerillabedlam like this.
  10. France had a really cool idea.
    Laïcité and all that.

But then covered Muslim girls showed up and refused to take off their hijabs...which is a religious thing by default.

Problem.

11. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I have no problem with individuals wearing crosses, hijabs, yarmulkes or whatever in a secular school. That's not the government or the school system.

Monkey Boy and Deidre like this.
  12. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

Yeah, what's the fucking problem!? Might as well force them to praise Allah at the end of every sentence too. No harm in a public tax funded service indoctrinating kids in to one of the top three Abrahamic DEATH CULTS. With all their pseudo-moralistic ignorances. How the fuck is rational thought going to build a better future anyway? Right!? Fuck no, there is no future. Just pray, get lots of guns and wait for the fucking rapture. FUCK!!

beachbum86 likes this.
  13. Meliai

Meliai Banned

This could be a bumper sticker

relaxxx likes this.
  14. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

Maybe it's a strategic move to begin promoting Tennessee as a tourist destination. The 100th anniversary of the Scopes trial in only a few years away!!

15. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i think the catholics picked that up eventually anyway. i'm pretty sure i remember saying that in catholic church as a kid (or at least a close variation of it).

16. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

Separation of church and state shouldn't cross over into someone's personal space though. So wearing hijab should be ''protected,'' but if the school curriculum were to ever change to force science teachers for example to teach creationism (as taught in the Bible, Qur'an, etc) that would be violating separation of church and state, much like the TN school who is doing this. (and a lot of Christian fundies are seeking to have this become part of the science curriculum in the US) The government is secular, so not sure how individual schools can get away with this?

MeAgain likes this.
  17. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The only real christians I have come across in my life did not blab about it constantly and in fact one could not tell that that they were such , until you could see that their lives reflected christian-like actions. I can never figure why some christians are so intent in having others believe exactly as they do.

Running Horse and MeAgain like this.
  18. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Yeah, particularly if sung during Mass.

19. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

I think for many, they interpret Scripture that way, to ''go and make Disciples of all nations'' kind of thing. For others, they are probably that way in all areas of their lives...politics, etc. I can see witnessing to others, or sharing one's faith, but not trying to get the government to weave your personal beliefs into their initiatives.

scratcho likes this.
  20. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

What a load of Godswallop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!