Tell us about yourself.

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by zilla939, May 28, 2009.

1. Lao-rish

Lao-rish Guest

Hi my name is Joey from Kansas. Started my dreads 5 weeks ago with a dread perm. I'm a registered nurse and they needed to look neat as possible quickly. Wasn't really aware how bad this was and I'm worried for my dreads. I'm glad I found this site, just wish I woulda found it sooner.

Also about me my dad was from Laos n my mom was mostly Irish. I brew my own beer, love to travel, go to festivals(any excuse to drink outside!), and basically just love life.

Not really sure how to post pics from my iPhone if possible. Just glad to be here!

2. Bassline514

Bassline514 Member

Hello guys!

Tell us, who are you? What do you call yourself?

I'm Elsa, 31, from Montreal. I'm also a raver, a punk rocker, an anarchist, a gardener, a sorcerer, a painter, a fashion designer, a cook and a crazy bitch at times too, but that's just one of the few things I can be.

What brings you here?

The need to socialize while being intoxicated at 3:00 AM on a tuesday morning.

How long have you had dreads if you have them?

I started a set of dreads a bit after last Christmas, so that means about 2 months now.

What methods have you used?

I'd call it "neglect, but I help it out a bit". :D No combing for the first 3-4 weeks, then some backcombing, crochet this and there and leave it be!

It's nice to be here, talk to you soon guys!

Bass

3. Lockness

Lockness Guest

My name is Eva, and I'm engaged to a BEAUTIFUL man. :) I run an Artist Studio in Kingston, Ontario. I hope to go to Queens University to be a Teacher (English/Drama!)

I lovelovelove yoga, nature, being a vegan, tea, marijuana, my one year old dreadlocks!, longboarding, piercings, tattoos, art, photography, graffiti, writing/poetry, finding my zen and helping others, music, dancing, singing, creativity, animals, and life. [​IMG]

I'm 21 years YOUNG.

2MUCHSOUL~

I have a website/twitter/facebook page, so don't be afraid to stay in touch. Love your Local!

Namaste & Amitabha -- Peace be with You.

4. unedited

unedited Member

Hey forum...

My name's Dan, I've done the alternative lifestyle since my teens - bounced around a few places, got bounced around a few others... lost a few good friends a while back which knocked me sideways, hard, but I'm slowly getting back on my feet.

Dream of writing 1 cheap-but-cheerful half-original screenplay and making it to L.A. which I feel is my spiritual home. Or at least the west coast of the states. I've slowly been getting my arse into gear but still not quite there yet.

I arrived at the Hip Site through random googling and it seems to be my sort of cool, which is cool. But then I discovered - BONUS - there's this section.

So... I had dreads for a couple of years when I was a lot younger and cutting them off was one of my biggest regrets. I loved them. They loved me. And now, after a few twists and turns (lol at unintentional puns) in my life, it's time to get my knatties back. It's something I've been thinking about for a long while... but basically as soon as the thought struck me, I knew it was the right thing to do. And since then my hair's been allowed to get on with growing. I got through the stupid phase. It went into ok phase. Then back into stupid. But now, not only is my hair about ready. So. Am. I.

And I've been looking for a site to help me self-dread for a few weeks, before I even got to Hip Forums. To find this subsection was such a happy accident.

The last time I got them done I was living in a ... well it was a pretty hippy place. And a couple of passing tokers did them in between buckets and shit-head sessions. But now, I'm a long way from Kansas. It'll have to be self-dreaded - or maybe a hairdresser... I'd prefer to do them myself, for the... hmmm... for my own sense of ownership... plus it'll be a bit less heavy on my wallet.

Ok. Superstar DJs. Here we go.

I'm going to get some 'before' done, and over the next week invest in kit - a few more hair bands, some wax, a nice hat... am I missing anything obvious?

Peace out. Thank you for listening. :)

5. Flakeofsnow

Flakeofsnow Member

To Dan:

You don't need a "kit" to get your dreads started. And whatever you do please don't use wax, that will only hinder the dreading process. All you need is a day to relax and maybe a mirror or two. A comb if you want to do the backcomb method. Also when you tie your hair into sections don't forget to take them out when you do whatever method your choose be it backcomb or twist and rip. The natural method is a great way to get dreads but it does take time and patience.

6. unedited

unedited Member

Ok thanks - the wax was intended for after the dreading process (I have vague memories of using it last time but will take your advice).

I'd love to have the faith/patience to try the natural method, but to be fair ... I don't think I do :D (I am aware that even twist n rip won't give me instant results, but it'll give me some proto-dreads to start with, make me feel a bit better about seeing out the first few months).

I'm a get some photos done and try and keep a journal of how it goes, so feel free to keep tabs on my progress (and be ready for SOS calls lol).

Thanks for taking the time to reply, it's very appreciated Flakesofsnow.

7. outonthetiles

outonthetiles Member

Hullo! I actually found this site while googling dreads, but weirdly enough have not posted in this section yet. I have always loved dreads but never had them. I was a hairdresser for 18 plus years, and have seen some sets done with wax and backcombing, but honestly the thought of having a headful of that crapp has always turned me off. So, I was looking into alternate ways to start. My hair is short, and a few weeks ago I began with clockwise/counterclockwise wool rubbing just to get the knots started. I have been alternately spraying with a salt water solution as well and have seen progress, except for the very back of my head and some random straight pieces.I wash my hair once or twice a week with either baking soda followed by an acv rinse or a sulfate free shampoo. I like the wild and unkempt look that my hair has now, even though my son says I look homeless and my hubby says it looks like Whoppi Goldberg's hair in "the color purple" .."You sho iz ugly" ;) Anyway, it is a labor of live and I plan to mostly let it be, but rip apart strands here and there to keep them the size I want. Looking forward to sharing my journey here, right now I am at the 3rd week and looking crazayzay!

8. Mista Laylo

Mista Laylo Guest

I am new to this site, joined today.

I go by Laylo, a nickname I picked up some years ago. I ran across this forum through a search engine and thought it would be a great place to obtain information on dreads. I started mine in June 2012 so I still have questions as I continue my journey. My dreads were started with the tool but now I only get them twisted, every 2 weeks.

These are my most recent pics, bout 2 weeks ago.

9. Organically_grown

Organically_grown Guest

I'm 30 and have two awesome kids. I love making things, learning, nature and I enjoy taking unconventional photos. I have 16 bunnies and my friends call me the crazy bunny lady.

I my hair is blond and super fine. After I spent way too much money having them put in and on products to help them dread, about 6 years ago, with no success, I didn't think it was possible for me sport the nappy style.

Finally I decided to give it another go, putting them in myself using no products. I have been doing a combination of neglect and back combing and I "shampoo" my hair once a week with a baking soda and water solution and then rinse with an apple cider vinegar and water solution. No wax, no dread accelerator, nothing. Its only been about 3 months and I still have a little bit of hair to dread yet, but so far things are nice and knotty.

10. Bunnielight

Bunnielight Member

Hello there. I am a 23 year old female, recently married. You may call me Bunnie. I am a freelance photographer and local barista.

I'm here because I'm looking for a close knit community of people to have intellectual conversations with and relate with. I miss the feeling of the "forum family".

I've had my dreads for 8 months now and I love them. It is exactly what I needed for my hair.

11. Bunnielight

Bunnielight Member

I love that I didn't even notice this until after I posted. hahahha

12. Enjoy

Enjoy Senior Member

Yo

I'm Enjoy. I had dreadlocks and use to lurk this forum when people were eating placenta and young black kids were trying to show there shoulders in sexy photo threads.

there was also a non-argumentative bloke in a wheel chair

cheers

13. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Dear God, Please Deliver Us From This Obnoxious Pest...:banghead:

Cheers Glen.

14. Enjoy

Enjoy Senior Member

I concur... Bunnielight.. of ya go

15. SnackAttack

SnackAttack Guest

I remember this old place....but forgot my password.

I wonder who is still around?

16. Bassline514

Bassline514 Member

Hey back!

I haven't shown up here in quite some time, so I'll introduce myself again. I'm Elsa from Montreal, Canada and I'm in my early 30's. I started my dreads a bit after Dec.21, 2012, it wasn't planned but after this apocalyptical occasion I decided to go ahead with my desire to get dreadlocks. So here I am 2 years later down the road with a nice set on long, mostly thin (some could qualify as sister locs, while some others can be as wide as my thumb), natural looking locks that keeps on looking better as time goes by. I used a mix of methods to make them, backcombing for kickstarting the process then neglect with regular crochet and looping for maintenance every 1-3 months depending of my hair's needs, and they formed in no time... in about 6 months they were pretty much locked for good. Now maintenance consists of regular washes with looping every 2-3 months, plus an occasional apple cider vinegar soak and olive oil treatment to keep them soft, moisturized and smelling good.

Otherwise I'm a daring, curious, passionate and open minded individual who lives life as much to the fullest as I can. I love arts, reading, cinema, music (especially punk rock of all periods, grunge, garage rock and 70's-80's hard rock), fashion, tattoos, food, biking, write zines and I'm quite into activism. I'm very sensitive to issues regarding food security, police brutality, planned parenthood, drug sex workers rights and aboriginal rights, local and worldwide. I'm a housewife, mother of a beautiful son, I share my home with a small dog and a family of cats, and my first language is french.

Bienvenue!

17. DesertChic

DesertChic Members

Hey All!

I'm not quite sure how many people read this still, it goes back pretty far, but I'm here lol.

I've had dreads for 5 months now and looking for some reassurance and dready friends! I used the twist and rip method with some crocheting in the first couple months. I am not sure if my hair is doing what it is supposed to do and I'm at the point of trying to get my patience back with this journey I have started. Any advice is welcome as I am at this point, I have heard, that you need patience.

Thank you in advance!
    Namaste

18. Krystal_J

Krystal_J Members

Hey! My names krystal :) I live in Surrey, U.K.

After loosing my mind a few months ago which resulted to cutting all my hair off sadly, im now on my second dread journey. the first time round i used the backcomb and crochet method but this time i backcombed my hair and im leaving it to do its own thing :)

Im a craft enthusiast and currently knitting hats and tams wich i would like to start selling eventually.

Here is a pic of me and my old dreads (1 year old)

[​IMG]

here i am looking unimpressed with my hair now..... (about 3 months old?)

[​IMG]

19. O.W.L

O.W.L Member

New to the forum, or just conceited?
    Tell us, who are you? What do you call yourself?
    The names Kate, just returned to HIP after a 2 year hiatus.
    What brings you here?
    bored
    How long have you had dreads if you have them?
    20 Months
    What methods have you used?
    Threw away my brush Christmas 2013. No Methods.

[​IMG]

Currently:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. Barocoon95

Barocoon95 Members

Hey I'm new to the forum here. Greetings from Ontario. What do you all think of my hair? I'm wondering if I'm well on my way to transforming it into natural dreads or not....

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:153143]