tell me,...how do you feel about farm animals?- ex. horses?

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by freedbypeace, May 16, 2004.

1. freedbypeace

freedbypeace A Woman Left Lonely

I drove past a rodeo today and I am vegan myself, but I thought, "How do other vegans/vegetarians feel about animals on farms like horses?" Do you personally feel that it is also cruelty to animals and they should be wild, or not?

2. rainbow dew

rainbow dew Member

interesting question. ive pondered this myself a few times. i have horses, 2 miniture shetland ponies and an irish cob. and i would say tat there be no way that my horses could survive were they free. its like domestic animals, they have been breed as cared for animals for too long that it would be impossible (for most) to go backwards. i also have wondered whether riding them was wrong, but i came to the concusion that they enjoy it. i don't agree with racing or the use of spurrs and the like but if you have a connection with that animal then horse back riding can be an amazing thing for you both.....

i miss my horses...:(
    namaste
    x x x

3. peacegal

peacegal Member

Well, I don't feel the goings-on at most rodeos can be compared to the normal ownership of horses and similar animals as pets.
    At typical rodeos, you have calves being chased, roped, and thrown to the ground, steers being "wrestled" to the ground, and the use of bucking straps and sometimes electric prods to make animals act more agitated and wild in the ring.
    This legalized torment in the name of entertainment would not be acceptable in a caring relationship with any companion animal.
    I think caring for horses and domestic farm animals as pets can be a rewarding relationship that benefits both animal and person. As with any pet animal, it is best to adopt animals in need of homes and keep the animal's best interests in mind.

4. freedbypeace

the only problem is I still see it as a way of holding the animal against it's will. if it was possible I would have all animals run wild, and if they weren't getting enough nutrition, people could just help out with feeding them, like stray cats. :D

5. Summertime

Summertime Member

That's what I love so much about cats- you can care for them by giving them food etc. but they still have a lot of freedom- you don't own them. In the summer my cat doesn't come home for days, but in the winter she has a nice warm place to stay. As for horses, I think as long as you're not hurting them when you ride them, it's okay. Rodeos etc are just mean.

Summer. xx.

6. freedbypeace

Digeridoodoo, I love you, I think that's a great idea! Right on man! :p

7. alissamelon

alissamelon Member

amazing!
    RODEOS = HELL ON EARTH

8. shutterfly

shutterfly Member

Yea! Me too!! I would love nothing more than to strap up a fucking rodeo cowboys balls and ride him around and then.... well I won't go all into it but I'm totally with you on this one. I fucking hate rodeos. They are a complete atrocity against nature.

9. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

Yeah I'm with Didge too. ;)

With regards farm animals I love them, especially pigs (I'd seriously love to adopt pig.)
    I can't (or rather don't) really make the distiction between companion animals and those on farms. They're all domesticated and such.

TTFN

Sage