Tech making life hell

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by King Names, Jul 29, 2014.

1. King Names

King Names Members

What are some technologies that make your life a living hell?

2. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

20 lb sledge hammers really tire me out.

[​IMG]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzqDMNbmDtg"]Wilton BASH Concrete Hammer - YouTube

3. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Nothing really. It's not like I live near Fukushima or anything.

I'm glad other people's gadget behaviour isn't getting to me (although there are exceptions, like when it's your friend at your table and he's too busy with his phone, but strangers in public... happily don't care much about their phone behaviour. Seems quite frustrating :p).

5. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

He will be assimilated
    [​IMG]

6. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

Oh my...... I was with these 2 sheep the other day for about 4 hours and 90% of the time THEY WERE ON THIER BLASTED SMART PHONES!!!!!

I wanted to say "GET OFF THOSE FUCKING THINGS WILL YA??" -- Either Texting or talking to another on it!!!!!!!!!!!

STUFF LIKE THIS IS WHY I WANT NOTHING TO DO WITH THE FUCKING WORLD NOW!!!!!!

7. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

got rid of my facebook and cellphone because i was tired of being overwhelmed by notifications, messages, calls, postings....

1 person likes this.
  8. Ernesto Apocaloptimisto

Ernesto Apocaloptimisto self-banned

Someone once told me that I could have written the unabomber manifesto. The only tech I'm interested in is the internet, sustainable alternative energy/transport/shelter, and to a small degree, cryptocurrencies. Everything else, in my opinion of course, creates more problems for humanity than it solves.

I have a flip phone that I turn on once a week. I just deleted my facebook when I found out about the emotional engineering crap.

I've definitely found that as I get further from technology and civilization, my quality of life improves.

1 person likes this.
  9. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

people really are attached to their devices. its like everyone is on their phone walking down the street, but we take quick glances up so we know where we are going. it is best to at least take a few extra glances when crossing the street but sometimes people just blindly follow if the people in front of them crosses, but if none of those people looked either cuz they were texting then i guess we would all get hit.

most drivers are at least a little considerate and will not honk because they know we are texting and that's why we crossed in front of traffic but the taxis will run you over without even honking cuz they're always on the phone too ;)

seriously tho, i love technology .. but some people are too into "mainstream tech", it's like a sheep mentality, and most of these people probably have no respect for old hardware, or achknoledge the roots of where this stuff evolved from.

computers fascinate me tho, and understanding old ones makes you realize what makes them tick, and really they are all much the same. cell phones, an old IBM PC, the microcontrollers in things like microwaves and cable modems, even the pocket calculator all operate mostly the same. they have an instruction set, and registers and an I/O implementation. and computers are machines and really don't make mistakes at all, they run the code given, exactly .. and that's the problem sometimes is that it is run exactly, they don't cope well with human error, or infer that "well, technically the code says do this, but THIS is what i really meant"

people just don't get that anymore and when theres a problem they go straight to tech support .. it seems people really need their hands held tight these days ;)

I don't know what is taught in highschools these days, but when i was in highshool they taught us some very watered down things about how to use computers, but not much in the way of how they actually do what they do. there were a few elective classes that taught some basic programming concepts which i did not take, because the class wasn't really about computer science and that was just thrown in, they probably got about a week of that and didn't ever learn enough for it to start becoming interesting.

I think a basic "intro to computer science" type class should be a required core class in the highschool curriculum, just the way biology, physics, chemistry etc are. none of those classes make you a biologist, physicist or chemist, and the C/S class won't make you a great hacker, or hardware designer but give you enough understanding to branch out .. there are many fields of computer science, just as there are many specialized areas of any other science. There is a whole slew of different networking protocols out there, many different operating systems, computer languages, processors, etc. etc. there is no way one person can understand everything in C/S but if you can do one thing well, and know a little bit about how the rest of it works then you can easily search for the information you need, and be able to understand it to apply to your idea.

You don't have to fully know everything about networking or sys administration to develop networking applications, but you should know enough about it so that you can read and find certain things and understand them, so that you can design your program to use those concepts that you need, see :) If you kinda "get it" then you understand it when you see it, and can figure it out. the concepts are all mostly the same, the implementation may vary but if you get the concepts then you can easily learn implementations when you need to.

Learn one thing that interests you and try to master it, but you will also need to have some understanding of how it all works together to make the system work.

My cousin is a software developer, he codes a lot of C#. He doesn't know everything else either, but can learn what he needs for the application he's working on if he needs to write code to utilize it because he understands the concepts

Peace
    Ace K

10. BlondeSunshine

BlondeSunshine Members

All my technology serves a purpose, I never buy technology that isn't of any use. [​IMG]

11. themnax

themnax Senior Member

it isn't the technologies themselves, but the cultures that determine how their deployed and influence along what lines they evolve.

when i look at the kind of development that is dictated by a transportation policy dominated by the automobile (and by private ownership of the land and the quest for money), you know, what this does to the landscape i have to look at and live in, all i can do is cry.

i can look with my minds eye, and see what could be instead, with very little shift of cultural focus.

you feed what you focus on, so i'd rather focus on what could be. without denying what is, because if you do that, it will still bite you on the ass.

but blaming technology, that's just looking for another scape goat. without a great deal of technology, the 95% of people who live in cities, would simply starve.

but there are better and worse technological ways of doing everything, and the priority of money, frequently demands continuing to cling to the worst.

the cities aren't really necessary either, and the combination of cars IN cities, is some sort of uber oxymoronic.

we would also be better off to do something to lower the human fertility rate.

the only large concentrations of population that make sense, are those that would develop naturally around centers of higher education.

12. BlondeSunshine

BlondeSunshine Members

I make sure all my technology is compatible, it makes life simpler for me. [​IMG]

13. themnax

themnax Senior Member

culture using technology to make life hell. its the culture we need to self discipline. the technology and the uses of it evolve from that.

it is culture that determines if we'd rather have excitement then gratification.

Asmodean and Dude111 like this.
  14. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

Its being shoved down peoples throats and its sickening!!!!!!!!

One time a sheep said to me "You dont know what your missing not having a smart phone"

OH YES I DO!!!!!!!! -- BEING TRACKED FOR ONE!!!

themnax likes this.
  15. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i had to buy one of those damd things in order, where i live, to have a phone at all.
    and the only reason i wanted a phone at all, was to look for, a better place to live.
    and i almost never, i won't say absolutely, but i can't remember the last time i did,
    take it with me, when i leave where i live and go ride the bus.

if you have a car that was built this century, since somewhere around 2002 or so,
    that can be tracked to, and so can the location of any place you used electronic transfer of money.
    used to be just credit, but now its debit, ebt, anything that has a mag strip or an embedded identity chip.

and you used to be able to disappear, if you hopped on a random intercity bus, carrying only cash,
    but they've very nearly eliminated intercity buses that don't require advanced reservations.

interestingly enough, some local, regional, county and possibly state governments,
    do operate transit bus services that are of course non-reserve,
    and it is possible, in some places, to purchase a seat on a bus or a train,
    at or close to the time of boarding.

but real freedom, would be if you could build and live in, your own improvised shelter,
    without having to indenture yourself to ownership of the land.

and there are some wonderful technologies that i love. 3d printers,
    desktop milling machines and lazer cutters, simply these ever so not simple
    computers and the internet, wind, solar and micro-hydro, hvac and refrigeration,
    itsy bitsy hand tools to build itsy bitys toys and models with, shovels, rakes and
    cross cut pruining saws. wish we had sonic screwdrivers, but we do have battery powered ones.

i just think vehicles powered by combustion, generating power by burning anything, clocks,
    symbolic value, credit, the whole idea of the last two being a service or a service providing industry,
    these, and the mistake that a bigger population is in anyway better, these are the things that are really big mistakes.
    materials that don't break down and return to nature, should only be used to make things that you want to have last for ever,
    not for things, anything, you're going to throw away, and why make things that can't simply be reused and repurposed,
    instead of ever having to be thrown away at all.

food packaging could be made machine washable and sanatizable, and when you run out of shelf space
    to store it one, repurposed as supports and brackets for more shelving.

there is no paradise that cannot be created by logic, consideration, honesty and imagination,
    and none that can't be made a hell by hating them.

and speaking of that terrible battery chemistry, there are alternatives to that too,
    i mean for the energy storage media to make practical replacement for combustion,
    from incident solar, wind and other clean energy. room temperature liquid metal batteries that never need throwing away or replacement,
    and my favorite, magnetically suspended flywheels, which do away with even needing lubricants.

16. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

are you a shepherd or something?

17. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Meanwhile......there are kids in africa that have to walk 5 miles everyday to get dirty brown water thats going to give them dysentry

18. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Are you SURE that they were not texting each other. :yum::yum::yum:

19. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

20. maxmayer

maxmayer Members

I do not have such a technologies. All of them help me in different ways