Teachings of Swami Vivekananda...

Discussion in 'Hinduism' started by niranjan, Jun 1, 2007.

1. niranjan

niranjan Member

Have faith that you are all my brave lads, born to do great things. Let not the barks of puppies frighten you, not even the thunderbolts of heaven, but stand up and work.

---Swami Vivekananda

2. niranjan

niranjan Member

“We are responsible for what we are, and whatever we wish ourselves to be, we have the power to make ourselves. If what we are now has been the result of our own past actions, it certainly follows that whatever we wish to be in future can be produced by our present actions; so we have to know how to act.”

--Swami Vivekananda

3. amoss

amoss Banned

At least Vivekanada never tried to support torture on the grounds that it can be 'spiritual' activity, unlike the OP here has done over in the c/anity forum.

Sedrick took exception to this, and got banned.

Justice?

You decide - assuming this isn't deleted by the mgmt as well.

4. niranjan

niranjan Member

And I have clearly explained as well that I mean that all our activity can be made spiritual , not necessarily paedophilia and torture, which snakie brought into the picture , even though I well know that he understood the context of what I was saying.

Tough luck, junior :baby: .

Try again some other time.

5. niranjan

niranjan Member

Ye divinities on earth - sinners ! It is a sin to call a man so; it is a standing libel on human nature . Come up , O lions, and shake off the delusion that you are sheep, you are souls immortal, spirits free, blest and eternal; ye are not matter, ye are not bodies; matter is your servant, not you the servant of matter.

-- Swami Vivekananda

6. philuk

philuk Member

recap the snake was banned?

7. niranjan

niranjan Member

Probably for 2-3 days. He will be back. I have given a pm to the webmaster, that he is a good guy, and was just teasing people, and his posts are valuable indeed. so i hope he will be back, shortly.

8. niranjan

niranjan Member

My ideal indeed can be put into a few words and that is : to preach unto mankind their divinity, and how to make it manifest in every movement of life.

-- Swami Vivekananda

9. SvgGrdnBeauty

SvgGrdnBeauty only connect

"Every mental and physical blow that is given to the soul, by which, as it were, fire is
    struck from it, and by which its own power and knowledge are discovered, is karma, this word being used in its widest sense. Thus we are all doing karma all the time. I am
    talking to you: that is karma. You are listening: that is karma. We breathe: that is
    karma. We walk: karma. Everything we do, physical or mental, is karma, and it leaves
    its mark on us."

Swami Vivekanandaji

Karma Yoga. New York, 1895. Complete Works, 1: 29

10. Hari

Hari Art thou Art

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swami_Vivekananda#Birth_and_early_life

Vivekananda was a renowned thinker in his own right. One of his most important contributions was to demonstrate how Advaitin thinking is not merely philosophically far-reaching, but how it also has social, even political, consequences. One important lesson he claimed to receive from Ramakrishna was that "Jiva is Shiva " (each individual is divinity itself). This became his Mantra, and he coined the concept of daridra narayana seva - the service of God in and through (poor) human beings. If there truly is the unity of Brahman underlying all phenomena, then on what basis do we regard ourselves as better or worse, or even as better-off or worse-off, than others? - This was the question he posed to himself. Ultimately, he concluded that these distinctions fade into nothingness in the light of the oneness that the devotee experiences in Moksha. What arises then is compassion for those "individuals" who remain unaware of this oneness and a determination to help them.

11. niranjan

niranjan Member

Life is the unfoldment and development of a being under circumstances tending to press it down.

--Swami Vivekananda

12. niranjan

niranjan Member

That society is the greatest, where the highest truths become practical. That is my opinion, and if society is not fit for the highest truths, make it so, and the sooner, the better. Stand up , men and women, in this spirit, dare to believe in the Truth, dare to practice the Truth !

---Swami Vivekananda

13. niranjan

niranjan Member

No great work can be achieved by humbug. It is through Love, a passion for truth, and tremondous energy, that all undertakings are accomplished. Therefore , manifest your manhood.

---Swami Vivekananda

14. Jedi

Jedi Self Banned

Tell me what he means when he says that.

15. SvgGrdnBeauty

Work hard, be steady, and have faith in the
    Lord. Set to work, I am coming sooner or
    later. Keep the motto before you: "Elevation
    of the masses without injuring their religion."

-Swami Vivekanandaji
    From Chicago. Letter to his disciples in Chennai. January 24, 1894. CW, 5: 29

16. niranjan

niranjan Member

It means to be a man, and take up the whole responsibility on your own shoulders and make your own destiny.

And fight against injustice as well, instead of impotently saying that it is the will of God.

17. SvgGrdnBeauty

Work hard, be steady, and have faith in the
    Lord. Set to work, I am coming sooner or
    later. Keep the motto before you: "Elevation
    of the masses without injuring their religion."

Swami Vivekanandaji

From Chicago. Letter to his disciples in Chennai. January 24, 1894. CW, 5: 29
    ----

If you really want to judge of the character
    of others, look not at their great
    performances. Every fool may become a hero at
    one time or another. Watch people do their
    most common actions; those are indeed the
    things which will tell you their real
    character. Great occasions rouse even the
    lowest of human beings to some kind of
    greatness, but they alone are really great
    whose character is great always, the same
    wherever they be.

Swami Vivekanandaji
    Karma Yoga. New York, 1895. Complete Works, 1: 29

18. Jedi

Jedi Self Banned

What is a man? What is the nature of responsibility? and what is the nature of fighting? where does this fighting take place? and what is considered impotence? Tell me this and yes these are all ontological questions.

19. niranjan

niranjan Member

Well, I guess I have to teach u ABC, but I really don't have the time for it. Check the dictionary, and u will find the answers in other threads of mine as wel, including that I will post in the future.

20. SvgGrdnBeauty

Tapasyâ is threefold--of
    the body, of speech, and of mind. The first
    is service to others; the second,
    truthfulness; and third, control and
    concentration.

Swami Vivekanandaji

Selections from the Belur Math Diary. Complete Works, 5: 319