teaching self guitar, need help

Discussion in 'Performing Arts' started by solargarlic, Jan 18, 2005.

1. solargarlic

solargarlic Member

I've been teaching myself to play for a little over a year and I'm learning, but not necessarily in any general direction. I've taught myself chords, a little note reading (lost my book), some scales, and I've worked a lot on rhythm. I don't have a lot of consistent free time for weekly lessons (I have time to play, but can't commit to a particularly day for lessons). Any suggestions of what to learn, how to learn, etc.? Just anything that can help me get rockin'. Thanks in advance.

2. juggla

juggla Member

theres alot of videos out there that are decent that teach how to play

3. blindhobosam

blindhobosam The Legend

ive been doing the same thing as you really for the same amount of time. what i did to get better is learn scales and stuff to solo and improvise. www.accessrock.com i think is a good site. www.cyberfret.com as well

4. SimpleMan

SimpleMan Member

just type "music theroy" at google and you'll be good to go.

5. Peace

Peace In complete harmony.

£ëårñîñg müŠî© †hëörÿ åñÐ £ëårñîñg †hë güî†år årë †vvö Ðërëñ† †hîñgŠ. Ðö ÿöü håvë åñÿ îÐëå öƒ vvhå† kîñÐ öƒ müŠî© ÿöü vvöü£Ð £îkë †ö Þ£åÿ. ΃ ÿöü Þrëƒër þ£üëŠ gö öü† åñÐ þüÿ þ£üëŠ þöökŠ ör îƒ ƒüñk þüÿ ƒüñk þöökŠ åñÐ Šö öñ.

6. Superloud

Superloud Member

7. Becknudefck

Becknudefck Senior Member

www.ultimate-guitar.com has some good tabs or go out and buy a book if you want. Ive been doing the same thing as you. It works, you just have to work on it and youll get it easily.

8. Huguito '82

Huguito '82 Member

www.guitarnotes.com Has a shitload of links to all kinds of guitar related sites; lessons, theory, tabs etc etc.. Check it out it's good

9. abnormal_cat

abnormal_cat Member

gutairnoise.com is a great web site. It gives lessons, theory, advice, songs in tab with MP3 files so that you can hear what it should sound like. I think it's alot better for learning then web sites that just give tab for songs.

10. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

These are the only three sites you'll need... well, hopefully... guitartabs.cc has lessons on it and they also have a forum... and just go to google and search for guitar forums. If you join a forum about it or continue to read here about it, you'll improve... just takes some time and dedication, really.

http://www.guitartabs.cc
    http://www.olga.net
    http://www.ultimate-guitar.com

I've never managed to care to bother with music theory and I seem to do quite fine with my own songwriting and things... and I don't even read music, though I can play any keyboarded instrument, trumpet, trombone, french horn, djembe, harmonica, banjo, mandolin, bass.... I don't even remember all the shit I play, ha... and now for some blatent self-promotion: http://www.sounclick.com/georgesnow :p

11. Iron Butterfly

Iron Butterfly Member

I'm not sure if this is the most effective way of teaching yourself, but its what i've done/am doing.

First off you should learn all your major and minor chords and barre chords.

Unless you have a really good ear right off the bat, you should find a song you like (thats at your level of skill), and learn from tabs. (www.ultimate-guitar.com)

Tabs give you a good feel of how the guitar works, where to go, and what to do until you've gotten to the point to where you can figure all that out just from listening to the song. (Try figuring it out by ear, and then check over the tabs to see if you're doing alright.)

As for lead playing, you'll need to know a scale or two. I never actually sat down and learned a scale... I pretty much listen and play Hendrix exclusively, and through playing his music all the time (or atleast attempting to), I naturally found the blues scale (In my opinion this is the best way in the long run.)

This is just my opinion, but I would advise that you dont try to get too technical with theory and what not. Just let things come to you naturally (like how I learned the blues scale). Bout all I can think of right now.

12. Orsino2

hahaha... holy shit, you sound like you just quoted me.... I believe what you've said is correct, but I prefer to learn as I go, usually... start with basic songs/chords and look around and explore a bit.... olga and guitartabs.cc are good resources, as well...

13. TheStoon

TheStoon Member

Depends where you want to go with your instrument.

Without learning theory there is only so far you can go - especially if you are aiming for virtuosity. The most adept guitarists (not me unfortunately!) and guitar teachers would never recommend ignoring theory if you are truly serious about your instrument. (this isn't a sleight against people who don't - most guitarists who ignore theory are more interested in their sound in the context of music, which is a great way of working - but their aims are different from someone who just wants to be a fantastic guitarist)

Learning to actually read music is less important for guitarists, due to the wonders of tab - but tab is useless if you don't know the song, or can't listen to it before you need to play it. If this is likely to happen you have to learn to read music.

I came to a point a few years ago where lack of theory was affecting my playing in an adverse way - i'd say the biggest single improvement in my playing EVER came from gaining an understanding of musical theory.

Learning to read music also helps me earn money!! :D

TheStoon

14. Lozi

Lozi Senior Member

arrrgghhh learning guitar is hard. i'm teaching myself, but it's going very very slowly. i can read music but my fingers on strings won't work at the moment. i can play hanson though!:H :D

15. thestallionpt4

thestallionpt4 Member

16. Orsino2

For some people it just comes... others take more work.

17. magicalprincesskid

magicalprincesskid Banned

18. Syntax

Syntax Senior Member

If you are teaching yourself, I'm assuming that, like me, you aren't planning to go pro or anything. Just playing for yourself and your friends, kind of thing. If this is the case, then it's very important to master chords and improve your hearing. Tabs are good, but when using them you have to spend more time learning songs and that's not always what you need. If you know a lot of chords (more than just the majors and minors), a lot of strumming patterns and fingerpicking styles, you'd be able to play just about any song and sound good. You'd also be able to write your own songs and accompany other guitarists and vocalists.

I, for one, don't think I'm ever going to learn tabs thoroughly. It just doesn't seem useful to me. My styles of music are not common and no tabs have been made for them. The best I can find are the notes of the melody and the chords, which I use all the time.

Oh yeah, and another thing that's very important. If you aren't doing this already - learn to SING! A guitar without vocals can only sound good if you are really good. Otherwise, even when your notes are nice and correct, you would bore every person in the room in 15 minutes. Sing well, loudly and clearly. The strange thing is that people are a lot more impressed with my guitar playing than that of my friends who are far better than me. I believe that it's the singing that does that. The guitar is not complete without it.

19. seda-azul8

seda-azul8 Member

Hey I think it's really groovy that you're teaching yourself guitar.I done taught myself,as much as I know so far..and I'm still going..Firstly, this is cliche,I know,and cliches are a burden..but please listen here. Okay, practice is the best thing. Practice anything and it'll get done right. I think you should practice every day for at least a half hour. If you are entertained easily by your guitar,do an hour..or more if you want.. If you are bored you must do half hour.

Be easy on yourself and give yourself at least 2 days off a week.To rest your memory from what you learned and rest your fingers.Secondly,I suggest buying this book that I've learned from.It's called Mel Bay's you can teach yourself guitar grade 1. (or something to that effect) But I started on that,and it's basic info.. it really helps..You can buy it in most musical stores.

And another thing. That is a whole bunch of B.S. that you cannot be very good if you are teaching yourself. A great example of this is,Jimi Hendrix whom taught himself everything......just listen to him...then tell me you cant be good........whoever the 'you' is.....
    Also, a ton of famous blues guitarists both male and female has taught themselves on the guitar.. I can go on and on....of how many taught themselves.. robert johnson on the top of my head..

you may wanna do a little research before you make a generalization like that.
    Generalizations are false,and 99 to 100 per cent false.

20. Orsino2

heh... you can thank Buddy Guy for a lot of some of Hendrix...

Anyway, more than just minor and majors...

to tell you the truth, I mainly only use four minors... Am, Dm, Bm, Em... Majors.. I use pretty much everything besides B, and that's occasional.... I also like to learn power and barre chord versions of songs sometimes for a change and sometimes switch around... a good song for this method is Cocaine by JJ Cale or Eric Clapton... and also, I also sometimes do this on Killing Floor... the Hubert Sumlin version...

BTW, you need to know one more thing to start a move... learn your seventh chords and learn to improvise pentatonic solos... also, learn a few jazz chords and techniques as they make for nice turn arounds and endings...

That's just me, though... I play a lot of blues, folk, and jazz...