teaching degree

Discussion in 'Higher Ed' started by tha pope, May 1, 2007.

1. tha pope

tha pope Member

does anyone know if its easy to get a teaching degree without a high school deploma? i have a GED though. also, could i go to a community collage for this?

thanks

2. jimaug87

jimaug87 Member

Most teachers are required to have a masters now. If you have a passion and resonable intelligence then earning the degree shouldn't be spectacularly difficult. You cannot become a teacher thru a community college but with a GED you might have to start there.

Having a GED probly won't get you into a major university, but a community college accepts almost anyone. To become a teacher you will probably need to do 2 years at a community college, 2 undergraduate, then 2 as a graduate student.

I am a Buisness Major so I cannot give you anymore specifics but I knwo that much is true. Good luck and keep up with school.

3. Bumble

Bumble Senior Member

You don't need a master's degree to become a teacher. In fact, a school district will not hire a starting out teacher with a master's degree because you will simply cost too much. A school will pay for your master's degree through ACT 48. You can take a bunch of basic classes to get yourself up to the college level at the community college. I'm an education major. I am finishing up my junior year. I start student teaching next fall. it's a rewarding field for sure. What grade(s) are you interested in teaching? I want to teach young autistic children.

4. tha pope

tha pope Member

ACT 48? whats that?

cool. a great sigh of relief that i dont NEED 6 years of school.

i want to teach high school kids. im not sure what class though. history or government. as long as i can open young, impressionable eyes to the real world, ill live happy.

5. BodyElectric

BodyElectric Member

Depends on where you are. There was a fellow on another forum that told me he just needed to finish college and then take some certification course in order to teach. I think he's being naively optimistic about his employability with these credentials - but maybe Texas needs teachers that badly.

Here you're required to have at least 3 year undergrad at uni and at least 1 year post grad at a teacher's college. (My hub did a 4 years honours undergrad and 1 year post grad). He also just laid down $800 for a qualification that makes him eligible to be a dept. head.

With all that - he's still been supply teaching for 6 years 'cause he can't land the big contract job. (Next school year's gonna be the lucky year, though!) And he's far from the only one. We got a friend in MI with the same problems, so it's not just on this side of the boarder either.

So apparently, location is the biggest factor on what you're going to need and how likely it is to get the job.

6. Bumble

Bumble Senior Member

you are in Canada tough. If you want to teach history at the high school level in ANY state in the USA, then you need to MAJOR in what you want to teach. For an example, you want to teach history, then you major in history. Then during your last 1-2 years of school you take all of your education classes. ACT 48 (or ACT 80, I always seem to mix the two up) was mandated through the NCLB ACT (No Child Left Behind), which ensures that every teacher is in a classroom as a student. This means that teachers have to take a certain amount of grad credits until they obtain their Masters degree. If you want to teach in city schools, then there are occassions where you don't even need a college degree because they give you an "emergency" certification, but you have to be in an education program at a college or university. I hope I helped. If you need any info pertaining to the certification process, then let me know because I'm currently going through all of it. It is a pain in the ass! This week ACT 114 was just passed, which means every teach or school worker has to put their finger prints on a federal database. Grrrrrrrr! I have a lot of mixed feelings about this!

7. tha pope

tha pope Member

hmmmm perhaps im having second thoughts......
    i kinna feel like im going to be 'black baged' for preaching too much truth.
    i dont know if i could really deal with a curriculum either.

teaching is a shakey ground now a days, fired for teaching about darwin.
    loose your teaching job, by teaching. only in america..

8. Bumble

Bumble Senior Member

I think the positives outweigh the negatives. you think of creative ways to teach the truth while still meeting standards and statisfying "them." It's stressful, but being able to see children progress and learn is an amazing thing in my own opinion.

9. umm...ya

umm...ya over joyed!

To teach high school you have to have at least a bachelors degree from a school of education. You not only have to take education classes you have to take all the classes the go with the subject you want to take.