Tea

Discussion in 'Let Food Be Your Medicine' started by Duncan, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Tea culture exists all over the planet and while some drinks come with an ornate practice and procedure, others are rather ho-hum run of the mill preparations.
    I live in an area where the climate is extremely mild (Southern California) and we tend to go light on our foods that go with the drink. Does anyone have any good experiences with a particular type of tea and a way of experiencing it? I mostly steep black tea and add nothing to it (no sugar, no cream, no lemon).
    I'm up for suggestions.

2. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

I also drink tea black. You need to find the brand of tea you like.

3. abarambling

abarambling Banned

When I first tried tea, I completely hated it, But, it was becuase it was sweetened. I don't like the idea of sweetened hot water. But, at the time I didn't realize that was the case. I thought I just didn't like tea. Anyways, fast forward a few years later and I tried tea again, but this time from a food chain called Teavana. Thank goodness, it occurred to me to ask them for the tea plain, and to give me the milk, and sweetener on the side. I liked it plain, but the water was hard on my throat. With milk only... it's much smoother, without compromising the taste. So, I did that for a few years. Only bought tea from Teavana, with a splash of milk. However, because I live a more natural lifestyle I had to do research on the benefits of the teas I was drinking from Teavana. And what I found was that though Teavana is quite good when it comes to a natural lifestyle, it's not great. Also, it's very stupid expensive, though I didn't drink tea that much to have it hit my bank. Tea was more a treat when going out. Anyways, I started looking into other tea brands. I even subscribed to one or two tea monthly boxes. But, none of the teas were as good as Teavana. I even tried my hand at making iced tea at home, bought all the stupid equipment for it, and it was disgusting. However, Teavana's iced tea is perfect. After that, I gave up again on tea. I figured as long as I'm drinking water I'm good. And that is how I was for the longest time. Until I found Matcha Tea. Don't remember how or why I found it. But, when I found it I fell in love. It's quite a bitter tea, like most green teas are, but it's different, oh so different, than regular green tea. It just makes me happy. So, I drink that, and only that every once in awhile.

I don't put anything in it becuase apparently that is an offense to Matcha Tea. There is a practice in making it and drinking it. I try my best to follow the practice as much as I can, but I'm not full blood Asian, and never grew up within the Asian culture, due to my father being absent and that is where my part Asian ethnicity comes from. So, most of what I learned was from videos on YouTube and online articles. Again, I try my best, instead of just making it like regular tea. Okay, I lied before, sometimes, but rarely... I put about a tablespoon of coocnut oil. It taste really good, I can't help it.

Other than that, I do still drink tea from Teavana at times. They make great iced tea. I simply can't never make it that good, and no store bought brand is that good. Also, they're dessert teas are to die for. I recommend anyone who wants to lose weight, by skipping dessert to buy a dessert tea from Tevana. If you buy take home tea in bulk it's not that bad of a price.

SUMMARY
    - Teavana take home tea in bulk.
    - Matcha Tea from matchateasource.com
    - Actual Teavana iced tea.

I really enjoy drinking, more than actually eating these days. So, in general I have a few different drinks I prefer, over soda drinks, plain water, or coffee. Actually, I don't like coffee. I can only drink it if I'm with my mother at a diner. It reminds me of the roadtrips the family used to have to visit my father. And from Starbucks in a well, blended, frappuccino. I have never tried anything else from Starbucks, not even their teas.

Thank you for making this thread. I really enjoyed it. I probably need to make a Drink Journal or something. I didn't know I had so much to say. But, I feel good saying it. I already have a Cooking Journal. Beauty Journal. Scrapebook Journal. Why not have another one?