Tea or coffee?

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by Joshua Tree, Feb 18, 2021.

1. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Remain In Light

I drink mostly black coffee, with the odd cup of tea. What's your preference?

2. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Definitely COFFEE, and like you - I drink it black (with an added tot of Brandy). Tea I won't touch at all - errgh yuk !!!

Joshua Tree likes this.
  3. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Having worked at a pub in her younger days my late mother rarely drank alcohol. But in the winter she always sneaked a tot of whiskey into her first cup of tea in the morning to keep her warm while she was lighting the coal fires.
    She could remember her mother doing the same when she was a child back in 1903.

Joshua Tree likes this.
  4. wilsjane

98% tea 2% coffee in my case. Jane has never drunk coffee and all 3 of our children drink roughly the same ratio as me.

5. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Coffee

Tea is composted leaves in hot water... That's the same as what swamp water is.

marcco and Joshua Tree like this.
  6. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

I tend to drink Tea at home - but Coffee when away from it.
    - Tea/Tea bags can differ when ordering out (Fruit/flavoured can be the exceotion) so like to know what kind and for how long the fusion brewd, so easier to have control thereof
    - Coffee and their different strengths may fall into the same category but generally the types have a standard taste - so that (with/without 'additional flavoring' ) Coffee is my external keeper upper

Joshua Tree likes this.
  7. Andy.

Andy. Newbie

Black coffee for me please, one sugar and be quick about it!

8. Vladimir Illich

Black coffee with an added trot of Brandy please !!!

9. Kittykat154

Kittykat154 Members

Tea is my favourite I don’t like coffee

10. bft4evr

bft4evr Senior Member

Tea for me. Hot or iced. I like coffee but it does not like me.

11. jagerhans

jagerhans Far out, man. Lifetime Supporter

I drink both coffee and tea in all imaginable forms. My morning cup is usually a mug of coffee from my espresso machine. For some periods i switch to tea, strong tea in the morning, earl grey in the afternoon or during the night. I also drink green tea, but that one, I enjoy it strictly with no sugar. Lately I went back to the roots drinking tiny cups of espresso, italian style. Just had one, in fact.
    In summer, I make ice shaker espresso, which is shaking an espresso or 2 in a shaker with ice and sugar, and then pouring it fast in a martini cup. Then I open the shaker and scoop out all the foam. Result:
    [​IMG]

Living near Leghorn I also enjoy "ponce" which originally was a concoction made for British sailors asking for something akin to their grog. In Italy it is commonly believed that tea is fundamentally bullshit so tea was substituted with strong coffee.
    Enter the Ponce alla Livornese : It is rum, or precisely a mix of rum and other liquors, with sugar , coffee and a slice of lemon. All served in the traditional mini glass:
    [​IMG]
    If a chili pepper is added in place of the lemon, it becomes a "torpedine" (electric ray).
    It is basically a drink from the league of Irish coffee, but less hedonistic.

12. Tman58

Tman58 Senior Member

Both but mostly coffee. I buy it ground. I had heard that buying whole bean and grinding it and brewing it right away, would make for a better cup of coffee but I didn't notice a difference.

jagerhans likes this.
  13. Vladimir Illich

I like the idea of this, but sadly one can no longer get true 'navy rum' like treacle which it was possible to obtain till Roy Hattersley (the Defence Minister) banned it - evil sod !!!:mad::mad::mad:

jagerhans likes this.
  14. jagerhans

jagerhans Far out, man. Lifetime Supporter

Yeah, it is true but tricky. You need good, well roasted coffee beans and to grind them the proper size for the machine. Also humidity and atmospheric pressure come into account: the most accomplished barmen adjust the grinding machine not on a daily base but fairly often to compensate. An art of a kind.

15. Candy Gal

Candy Gal Lifetime Supporter

Tea for me.

jagerhans likes this.
  16. soulpoker

soulpoker Senior Member

Definitely prefer tea but I do enjoy a cup of coffee (Colombian roast is my favorite) on occasion. Moderate sugar for both. Lots of cream with coffee.

17. wilsjane

You have just made me put the kettle on for my third cup of tea during my morning break. At this rate I will never get any work done and Jane will doc my salary. :(

Does it amuse you how everyone calls the morning break the coffee break and no one drinks any coffee.
    One of the stupid coffee chains decided to open a shop in Jane's town in Ireland. They ended up selling about 4 cups of coffee a day and no one was going to pay 3 euros for a cup of tea. The shop closed down six weeks later. :)

Do you get a bit fed up in the mornings when no one else in the UK is online and you seem to be talking to yourself. First sigh of insanity that one.
    Today REALLY did think that Hip Forums should be called Candy Forums in the mornings. :D:D:D

jagerhans and Candy Gal like this.
  18. Candy Gal

Oiy xxx
    I only popped in to catch the Spam. xxx

wilsjane likes this.
  19. Tman58

Tman58 Senior Member

Wow! I didn't know all the science behind it. I find using a coffee press over paper filtered makes for a better cup.

I miss sitting in a cafe with a nice cup!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
    jagerhans likes this.
  20. wilsjane

Time for my 5th cup of tea now

Did you spot the one from the guy who was too shy to tell his doctor that he only gets horny 3 times a week. Instead, he posted about it on the internet to keep it secret.
    You can imagine my reply. :D:D:D

Totally Yoda and Candy Gal like this.
  21. Candy Gal

Have some cake I just baked.
    [​IMG]

Tman58 and wilsjane like this.