tattoo....

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by rainbow dew, May 11, 2004.

1. rainbow dew

rainbow dew Member

just wondering you peoples opinions....i have been thinking of getting a tattoo on my stomach just below my belly button in the centre... but im still thinking about it. was thinking of getting the buddhist eternal knot symbol.... will try to attatch a pic:rolleyes: . either that or the 'hri' sign.
    anyone had a tattoo and want to be honest with me how much it hurts...not good with pain but well...went through a period of self harm:eek: and was fine with that..ho hum...
    namaste
    x x x

2. Ellie-Rose

Ellie-Rose Le Muppet

I have one on my arm... and I guess it wasnt as bad as I thought it would be.. more of a sting than anything, it was over in a flash aswell.. in the time to smoke a cigarette!!

You should be fine

:D

3. Peace-Phoenix

Peace-Phoenix Senior Member

Personally I prefer unadulterted bodies in all ways. I think tattoos, piercings, make-up etc hide natural beauty. But if the sybolism has cultural or personal meaning to you then I say go for it....

4. EarthWhirler

EarthWhirler Member

Never had a tatoo, but I know lots of people who have. Most say it doesn't really hurt but how much of that is bravado I don't know, maybe they take some morphine before hand......I personally only like teeny tiny tatoos, I think subtlety has much more effect. I think the pain (if any) would be different to SH 'cos it's someone else in control and it's not personal.

Dunno, just my two pennies....

Ooooohhhh...just replied to your question in the 'introduce yourself' thread, and your question disappeared!?! It be doin' strange things to my brain.....

5. showmet

showmet olen tomppeli

I don't want to sound like your dad, but imagine what it'll look like if you ever get pregnant or *gasp* fat!

6. rainbow dew

rainbow dew Member

am already fat!! :p he he and i love my belly! if i do get pregerers then i think it would look even more be you tif all..... my mate has an 'OM' on her stomach and i think it looks wonderful.

namaste
    x x x

7. Maon

Maon Member

Woah man .. how can you justify such a generalisation as that! .. such a flippant remark is unlike you Sal.

Peace Maon

8. rainbow dew

rainbow dew Member

cos he prefers bodies covered in poo....:p takes all types you know.

*think im getting a bit carried away, note children this is what happens when you don't sleep much and study lots...DONT DO IT.*
    namaste
    x x x

9. Peace-Phoenix

Peace-Phoenix Senior Member

That's just a personal preference. Sorry, I didn't mean to insult your beautiful tongue:p but you're not my type anyway. Wrong bits and pieces. I'm not making any generalisations, I just don't think cosmetics add to the beauty of a person. I don't necessarily think they take anything away either. Again it's personal preference, you no doubt have your own preferences. Either way, I'm talking purely in terms of external beauty. I'm sure we can both agree that the real beauty comes from within.

PS. I'll take no lectures from you on generalisations and flippant remarks mister! This is coming from the guy who sits in a pub all night insulting a man behind his back for having short hair and sideburns. The very same man who wants to hand out leaflets to fashionably challenged people, such as slightly rounded people who wear tight clothes!

10. dhARmaMiLlO

dhARmaMiLlO Member

go for it, but don't become addicted! yes - people do. they think 'just one more'. I've had this happen to a few friends.

~
    [​IMG]

11. boog

boog A square peg

A tattoo on your belly shouldnt really hurt that much.(although anything near my belly button makes me squirm) it hurts more where the skin is thin. im fairly bony so tattoo's hurt me greatly. :)
    Im gonna get another one soon i think. i just gotta finish designing what im having, and find somewhere good to get it done (location not part of body).

12. rainbow dew

rainbow dew Member

yeah, i won't become addicted kev dearest! you know me better than that no>?!

ive got me belly button pierced too so i don't think itll hurt quite as much as that. but as i say im still undecided. with these things i tend to just wake up and make the decision that day and go and do it...
    namaste
    x x x

13. miabubble

miabubble Member

I really wanna get the thing i have in my sig.

I pen it in every day... so sssaaadddd :eek:

14. Maon

Maon Member

hahahaha ... weeeeeelllll he did look mighty strange ... hahahaha ... damn .. another argument lost!

15. dhARmaMiLlO

dhARmaMiLlO Member

remember to think about how in might look when your naked.
    with it being below your belly button, will that knot clash with the hair down y'know where?
    i aint bein' pervy, just saying, make sure your not matching it to clothes / trousers, it goes beyond them.
    (sorry if all that was blatantly obvious!)
    ~
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

16. torz

torz Member

tattoos & piercings, my favourite subject. i dont hide the fact that i pierce people for a living & that i'm a trainee tattooist & that i love to talk about them & give out advise especially as there is alot to consider before you get one..

first, really think about what you are doing.....a tattoo is a big thing to have done to your body, yes its a great way of self expression but stop & think.....the tattoo that you are getting now may mean alot to you or reflect opinions NOW but what about 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 years time, do you think you will have the same opinions, suport the same religion etc in a few decades time. dont go with whats is fashion, fashion changes & so do you but tattoos are forever.

colours.....if your thinking of having colours in your tattoo think about where on you body its going to be and what things can affect colour. for example, a tattoo on your arm is going to be exposed to UV rays from the sun more than what one on your bum would be. the sun makes tattoos go dull and look horible, also tattooing is the art of punching little holes in your skin for the perpouse of puting ink there. the skin heals but you have to remember its scar tissue & exposure to the sun will age it faster than the rest of your skin. there are also many different tattooing inks available, make sure you read up on these & ask the tattooist what inks s/he is using, i recomend traditional indian inks as they retain colour for longer, arnt tested on animals & are biologically safe. alot of the new inks that are available, some are tested on animals some arnt but non of them are tested on humans so you never know if they contain a product that you may be illergic too.... be safe, go with indian inks.

pain & placement....how much the tattoo will hurt is dependant on two things, 1 the placement of the tattoo & 2, your own bodys tolerance to pain. places where there is lots of flesh & muscle like your bum, top of arms etc is less painful than bony places like your wrist, hip or ankle. having a tattoo on your back is one of the most painful places to have a tattoo, the skin is thin & all your nerves run up you spinal collumn so its bound to be painful. asking people how much it will hurt is no indecation to how much it will hurt for you, everybodys pain tolerance is different, what is very painful for one person may be very mild for another. choose the spot carefully, remember, the face, hands & neck are seen by everyone and cant be covered up, if it is seen by everyone they may not look past the tattoo at the "real you"!

dont let drugs, alcohol or friends influence you choice. dont get a tattoo done while under the influence & dont be presured in to making a choice.

risks.....having body art is always a risk, there is a risk of infection while having the tattoo done, a risk of getting Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, HIV/AIDS and other infections. if your serious about getting a tattoo, get vacinated for hep B. after care is esential, remember a tattoo is an open wound which will be under risk from infection, keep it clean, covered & use an anticacterial cream like savlon. DONT PICK AT THE SCAB IT WILL PULL THE COLOUR OUT!

where to have it done....good tattoos are not cheap & cheap tattoos are not good! a good tattooist may cost more but is worth the cost for design and health practices.

• take the time to shop around, check out many different tattooists and ask to see pictures of there work.
    • chech that the shop is clean and in good repair, this shows how dedicated the artist is to his line of work & his clients health. good lighting & a sink close to the work area are esential so make sure the artist has these before agreeing to be tattooed
    • make sure that the tattooist is not under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
    • check that the tattooist has the correct cleaning products & equipment available & are used. autoclaves are the ONLY acceptable sterilizers.
    • check that disposable razors & ink caps are used for individuals only and that items are only used once.
    • check that sterile needles are used for each client (if your not sure dont go), some tattooist use disposable & some sterilize using an autoclave.
    • check that a sharps container are used for disposable tattooing needles & all piercing instruments.
    • a good tattooist will present & have easily visable all his certificates, check that he is a member of profesional tattoo & piercing association & check that it exsists.
    • check that a new pair of latex gloves are used for each client.
    • skin is cleaned before tattooing
    • & check that concent forms are used.
    if anybody else has any question regarding tattoos or anyother form of body art, please feel free to PM me.

peace

Torz

17. stardust

stardust Banned

well, i have pierced myself about 25 - 30 times (its hard to count coz some have closed then been reopened and now i have let nearly all of them close now) and i have four tattoos. in order of most painful it went........

tattoo on stomach (sorry!)
    tongue piercing
    tattoo on ankle bone
    nose piercing
    lip piercing
    eyebrow piercing
    tattoo on spine
    belly button piercing
    deep bit in ear piercing (dunno what its called)
    top of ear piercing
    tattoo on thigh

and i cant really remember the others. i very clearly remember being told that the tattoo on my stomach would take 45 minutes. i lay there as he did the first stroke and thought "oh my god, theres no way i can cope with this for the next 45 minutes!" i did, coz i have a freakishly high pain threshold, (didnt notice foe two days once when i broke my foot) and i made it through but only just!

sorry, this probably didnt help you much, but just thought i'd share my experience with you. it might be worth bearing in mind though that i was rather underweight at the time. for people with a bit of meat on them it might not hurt so much.

peace and love
    stardust
    xxx

18. ZePpeLinA

ZePpeLinA Jump around!

I love body art, especially tattoos..I've got two tattoos; one across my lower back and another on my left shoulder blade. I've got a high tolerance to pain cos I have to say I rather enjoyed getting tattooed. It obviously hurt a lot, but it was tolerable. there were pieces of the designs that hurt more at times when i was getting it done, but overall, it was a pleasant experience.

As someone mentioned before, aftercare is very important, I reccommend using a THC aftercare cream when healing a tattoo, in three days the tattoo will look amazing!!!

My cousin is a tattoo artists and he does my tattoos free. I might be getting a bit addicted as I'm planning to have another one soon. I've got yet to choose a meaningful design.

I reckon the pain you'll feel depends on your own tolerance to pain.

19. LMoffet1

LMoffet1 Member

I have a rather large tattoo on my back, and it was fine for the first two hours, but the rest of the time was pure agony. I think your body sort of gives up on you after a while. I like your design for your tattoo. I was actually thinking about getting an om myself but recently decided it wouldn't be right for me. I think that's what you said someone else had. I'll try to show a picture of mine on here! Sorry pict is so big... it means a lot to me![​IMG]

20. rainbow dew

rainbow dew Member

wow!!! i love that design it is so be you tif all!! thank you for sharing.

also dharma...man personal!! lol he he no, i think itl look alright, anyways who says im not a baldy huh??!! he he:rolleyes:

thanks for all the advice im still thinking about it though,....*ponders*
    namaste
    x x x