Tattoo costs

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by FreakyJoeMan, May 25, 2004.

1. FreakyJoeMan

FreakyJoeMan 100% Batshit Insane

I was thinkin that, when I gets older, I's gonna get a Sublime tat on my back, like Brad's. What would be a reasonable price for a tat like dat? :)

2. scarlettchasingroses

scarlettchasingroses strawberry tart

you are too young to be getting a tattoo!.....hehe....

3. Alomiakoda

Alomiakoda Boniface McSporran

I want one....but I'm absolutely paranoid about pain :s

4. TheLittleOne

TheLittleOne Senior Member

depends on the size. my friend just got one of those about the size of a hand with all the fingers spread out, cost him a lil over 200. there's alot detail in that, so if you gonna get it, go big! lol, its a cool tat....i dont konw if i'd get it...just cuz so many people already have it. change it up, make it yours....that's my advice.

5. scarlettchasingroses

scarlettchasingroses strawberry tart

they don't hurt as much as you think they will...after awhile it just gets annoying.....plus women have a higher threshhold for pain.....so there you go...

6. TheLittleOne

TheLittleOne Senior Member

yea i've got five and other peircings, lol. i like getting stuff done, releives stress.

7. hippietoad

hippietoad Member

K, I was 34 before I got my tat. Wanted one ever since high school. I had been going through alot of turmoil and one morning I woke up and decided today is the day. I got a large tat on my lower back. The design came from something spiritual for me. I'm soooooooooo glad I waited. Man, it hurt like heck getting it done. Took 1 1/2 hrs. I just tried to zone out by staring at one certain diamond in the floor. Anyways, for the next few days I mentally went through alot of soul searching.
    The experience made me get to know myself for who I really was and made me look at the way I lived. I know each person is different. This is just my opinion only. If you get a tat make sure that it means something to you. You will be stuck with it the rest of your life.

8. livlvlife

livlvlife Member

my first was $35 twelve years ago(chest area)..the next one (about 3" high but skinny) was $85 four years ago(back shoulder area)...last summer got a butterfly with a "leaf" on my back about 5" wide and it was $200. so as they have grown in popularity they have increased in price....plus the artists can now actually charge for their craft. the one on my back hurt like hell(over the spine):eek: ...and I have had 2 children natural (no drugs!) and that is how i compare pain....so not as bad as childbirth, but close to it....i hear when it is close to the bone it is more painful also.

9. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

My mother and her friend (familly friend I am friends with no less) went downtown got drunk and got tattoos... my mom is 46 and she gets a tattoo of a dragon on her lower back. What the hell!? lol Ah... nostalgic depression setting in so its repression time! I'm getting a big skull on my back. I think I got it at an estimate of 75 for the outline... cant remember

10. Dakota's Mom

Dakota's Mom Senior Member

Prices vary not only with when you get them but where. In Illinois, it was about half what they charge here in New Jersey. I got my first tattoo for my 40th birthday. I'll probably get my next one for 55th. I currently have 8. And yes, the nearer to a bone it is the more painful it is. Also long thin strokes are more painful then short wide strokes. A thin outline usually has more pain than coloring in. Although I have heard some people say that the different colors hurt differently. When you have a large piece done your nerve endings become very sensitive. Eventually you have to stop because you become so sensitive you don't want to be touched. I had one piece that took 5 1/2 hours to complete. I had to stop after 3 hours and come back a week later to finish it. The one thing you can be sure of is that it will hurt. Most reputable places will not do a tat if you are drunk or high.

My advice, if you want any is to wait until you are a bit older. You'll have trouble finding anyone to work on you before you're 18. I signed permission for my daughter to have one done when she was 17. But only because it was covering up a really bad homemade one.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Kathi

11. Crimson and Clover

Crimson and Clover Member

the place i go to charges by how long it takes. My first took and hour, so it was 100$, my second was 30 minutes so it was 30$.

12. terrapinchasin

terrapinchasin Member

Varies on lcoation (geographic and body part) design size, detail.

It costs $50 just for needles and ink. Most places will charge about $100 an hour. Do not forget to tip!

I have two small ones, one was $35 and the other $50, atlantic city, and NYC respectfully.

I have big ass wings on my back and I paid $250. They took two and a half hours to do.

My newest I got in DC, at a custom shop, and paid $220...totally overcharged, but it was downtown.

I usually push my mind beyond the pain. I relax and just take it as it comes. I don't know though, my shrivasta tatoo on my leg hurt so bad i thought about amking it my last.

13. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

yeah, I'm not a big fan of needles, I'd never get a tattoo....

besides, they're expensive.