Tantra..?

Discussion in 'Love and Sex' started by phrank, May 24, 2004.

1. Wonder Girl

Wonder Girl rhapsody in pink

I think it sounds amazing. I've been interested in it for quite some time,but I have yet to meet a guy that was interested in trying it.

2. cozmo_g

cozmo_g Is Out Of This World

Been doing a lil' bit of research on this stuff (I'm a self-proclaimed 'information junkie')...very curious about it. I'd love to learn more with a willing partner. The idea of sexuality and spirituality coming together appeals to me very much. I've had some great sex, but Tantra seems like it would be taking things to a totally new level, something approaching ecstasy.I hate the way that modern Western society looks at sex as something dirty, when it's such a beautiful act...

3. eleria

eleria Member

Like firelip said before, Tantra is much more than a sex technique.
    The fundamental believe of the tantric philosophy is that the universe is made up of the principles of duality and that everything is interconnected/interelated and that everything effects/has an impact on everything else.
    In that sense we are all part of one big organism.
    According to Tantra sexuality is an expression of the creative force of the universe, manifested in the physical and spiritual union of the male and female principles and a means to get in touch with the devine/reach enlightenment.
    Therefore tantric sexuality goes beyond the mere physical act of copulation and concentrates on the spiritual union as well.
    In practise that means prolonged intercourse, during which the couple creates a deep bond between them, that is so strong that orgasm can be achieved without much physical movement.
    Orgasm out of love instead of lust.
    In order to achieve that it is important, that the male learns to controle his ejaculation and that the partners have a deep trust and feeling of love, that enables them to fully relax and open themselves up to higher energies.

4. Maa Das

Maa Das Member

I am so glad to see that a couple of people know that tantra isn't just about sex. In fact, many tantrikas (practicioners of tantra) are celibate. This last aspect of tantra is why I would also argue against the statement that tantra is the polar opposite of asceticism. Tantra comprises a VERY broad range of practices that may be performed by anyone from worldly householders to the most extremely ascetic sadhus.

Many, if not most, tantric practices do not even involve sex, although they might use sexual imagery to express their esoteric content. In reality, sexual practices in tantra are the exception rather than the rule, and are almost universally meant for the most advanced practicioners. The over-sexed image of tantra in the West comes largely from the Western obsession with sex that has dominated our culture at least since Victorian times (when, not coincidently, Western society as a whole really began to encounter Indian spirituality) and from those who have sought to take advantage of that obsession by using the sexual/gendered imagery often used in tantra to conceal esoteric meanings.

Now, that's not to say that what passes as "tantra" in a lot of new-age circles won't produce amazing sexual experiences; I would just advise being very skeptical of what you read if you're interested in tantra as a means of furthering your Hindu, Buddhist, or Jain practice. If you're just looking for great sex, I'm sure there's a lot of books that can help.

5. lynsey

lynsey Banned

I've tried it a few times, it's too intense emotion wise though. I have a tendency to cry during sex occasionaly and every time I'vr tried tantric sex I bawl and it ended up stopping even though it was it was a happy deal.

6. Raving Sultan

Raving Sultan Banned

This is all very confusing, are we still talking about putting my penis in a vagina or what?