Talking doesn't work VIOLENCE..

Discussion in 'Activism' started by LonelyPlanet, May 27, 2012.

1. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Nah that would be ridiculous

But- i have a hypothetical question

the simple fact is, for the truly oppressed people, rights are never given freely. And can sometimes be won by non violent means but sometimes not.

Do you think violence is justified when the only other alternative is continuing to live as an oppressed, second class citizen?

2. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

How are we defining 'oppressed'? I think that is the question that's important. There are those who think the very existence of millionaires means that they must be oppressed. Or the federal government owning land out west means the states are oppressed. Or me eating meat means animals must be oppressed. I'd put the Yellow Jacket movement in the same category. Just because your government taxes the shit out of you is no reason to get violent. It is a reason to maybe vote in a new government. (But I don't know, some people seem to love taxes.)

However, if we were talking about something along the lines of chattel slavery or pushing indigenous people from their land (to borrow a couple of examples from US history), or even that damn caste system they have in India, then I would be sympathetic to people raising hell, but I'd keep the killing to a minimum.

3. Ashalicious

Ashalicious Senior Member

Women don't "let" men abuse them, and getting up and leaving isn't as easy as it sounds, especially if the woman lives with the person (which is usually the case by the time the physical abuse starts happening).

eggsprog likes this.
  4. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

That is the purpose of restraining orders, police forces, domestic violence shelters and divorce courts.

5. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Yes I was thinking more along the lines of this. Jim Crow laws, to borrow another example from US history. Things of that nature

6. Ashalicious

Have you ever been in an abusive relationship?

eggsprog likes this.
  7. Jo King

Jo King wannabe

If ballots won't work, bullets will. Malcolm X

8. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

Yes. Once. No need to repeat it more than once.

9. Ashalicious

I'm so sorry that happened to you.

10. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

No need to apologize to me. I solved it with violence. I have no regrets at all for using it.

11. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

I was a 6 year old boy when it started. By the time I turned 10 I got enough strength to fight back. I nearly succeeded at ripping a testicle off with my teeth. I was smart enough by then to realize he would have a difficult time explaining why he was naked and making his testicles available to a 10 year old boy.

He managed to explain to my dad he got hung up trying to jump over a chain link fence. He recovered.

I said I would finish the job next time.

Problem solved as far as him ever touching me again.

12. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

So if voting doesn't go your way, you support violence to get what you want?

13. Jo King

Jo King wannabe

I didn't say anything, I quoted Malcolm X
    I'm wondering if you assumed or presumed, I always get those confused.

Tyrsonswood and Meliai like this.
  14. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

Gotcha. Just a random quote you happened to know My bad.

15. parua

parua Members

I don't think I'm to the point at which I could guarantee that I wouldn't punch someone in the face if pushed to a certain point, but I can think of better things to waste my time on than violence. It woukd be nice if everyone didn't think that things are worth arguing over. Then I could guarantee that I wouldn't punch anyone.

16. GuerrillaLorax

GuerrillaLorax along the peripheries of civilization

Funny how instead of actually countering the critiques of political non-violence, everyone is just repeating "violence is bad". And some are even pretending that oppression isn't real. What an intelligent and engaging conversation!

17. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

The government run mainstream media CNN and controlled opposition Fox during the 2014-2015 police brutality protests:

"Protest our violence peacefully" Over and over they kept saying remember peaceful protest...

Truth is they never change anything till people riot loot burn and even kill./

18. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Nice videos. Especially enjoyed the first one.

19. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

If your government is stealing your means of survival, yeah it might be a good time to fight back.

GuerrillaLorax likes this.