Talking doesn't work VIOLENCE..

Discussion in 'Activism' started by LonelyPlanet, May 27, 2012.

1. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I prefer "direct action" to pacifism. seems far more effective. "You only gave us rights because we gave you riots".

2. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

There's a time and a place for everything. There is no always.

Driftrue likes this.
  3. GuerrillaLorax

GuerrillaLorax along the peripheries of civilization

Reminds me of a quote by MLK, to paraphrase "they only take my words seriously, because they know there's a black man behind me with a molotov cocktail".

Yep, direct action gets you a lot further than begging your oppressors. Or it "gets the goods" as the IWW famously declared.

And Scratcho is also right. Resistance movements need all sorts of tactics. Although in recent years they've been seriously lacking direct action and confrontation.

Highly recommended reading material would be How Nonviolence Protects the State.

4. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

tumbling.dice likes this.
  5. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

JC And The Twelve were nonviolent and they changed the world.

6. snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd Member

The non voilent revolution is possible but you need to find ways to take it further than protesting.

7. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I prefer slow but steady progress instead of revolutions.

Driftrue likes this.
  8. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

I can remember every ass whippin I ever got. Why I got it. How it made me feel afterwords and all the thoughts I had to never have it repeated. I also knew what led up to an ass whippin before I made the choice to try my luck to see if it would turn out any different.

I can only recall one or two arguments/lectures out of the hundreds/thousands I have had to sit through.

9. Meliai

Meliai Banned

JC overturned the moneychangers' table

That would probably be construed as violent behavior today. Destruction of private property and all that jazz

JC was kind of a bad ass

10. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

J.C. also never claimed to be perfect (although some now say he was)
    He was a man, like us. He lost his temper. If he'd been perfect, it would have missed the point.

11. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Dr. Professor

"Violence is the only way." - Mark 3:13

"Ruff'em up & cuff'em up, I ain't got no time for these bitches." - Mohondas Ghandi

12. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

They changed the world indirectly. The changes made in name of JC were not without violence. If certain important leaders (s tarting with roman) wouldn't have adopted christianity and then spread it with violence it is arguable wether it would have become a worldwide religion.

Meliai likes this.
  13. Meliai

Meliai Banned

^true. Doubtful Christianity would have spread as far and wide if not for the violent means in which it was spread

14. Ashalicious

Ashalicious Senior Member

Same. Every spanking I ever got, and every time an abusive boyfriend beat me up, I can remember.

For a long time I couldn't watch any sort of violence on TV without getting triggered.

15. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

Mine were in no way a form of abuse. Mine were disciplinary. I deserved every one of them and it taught me how to define doing right from wrong.

I guess it depends on from where the violence is rooted.

16. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I could run from morning 'till night even when I was 7 or 8. Guess they would call that free range nowadays. I only had 1 rule--be home by 6 pm to eat and then i could go back out. If I wasn't there by 6, gramma would pick a switch off one of our grape vines, order me into the bathroom and raise welts on my back. Hurt like hell----but I deserved it and am not bitter about it. I realize that those days were different and I am different also. Of course I don't recommend violence on children. There are much better ways to teach children who the adult is in the decision making process---and why. I spanked my boys 1 time each when they were little. Boy one ran in front of a car and was almost hit. Spanked him good. Boy 2 went under the place we lived when told not to because of snakes. (Florida). I hauled him out , spanked him good and 10 minutes later, I had to kill a 5 or 6 foot rattler that was under where he had crawled.
    I guess my nature is such that when I got switched, I felt I deserved it, because I knew the rule. My boys were good boys and never back talked or caused me to consider laying hands on them again. Maybe the spankings I gave them had an effect.

17. Ashalicious

Ashalicious Senior Member

My spankings weren't abusive at all, they were discipline. The physical abuse all came from bad guys who actually believe violence is the answer.

18. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

Any man that thinks beating women is the right thing, needs to be beaten by a man who doesn't.

He'd learn the consequences properly.

I've never understood how a woman could be with multiple men that they let abuse them. But that's a whole different thread topic.

19. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I'm imagining a society where everyone with a pet social justice issue resorts to violence.

Running Horse likes this.
  20. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

We are not far off from that already.

21. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I think trees should have rights, and I'm going to knock heads together until it happens!! Fuck you if you disagree!