Taking the bottle away?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by amber, May 28, 2004.

1. Kyla's Mommie

Kyla's Mommie Member

Ok I have a 20 month old lil girl that sleeps in a toddler bed all night alone an is almost potty trianed. [​IMG] Our problem is the BOTTLE, She wont let it go I try everyday to give her a sippy an she throws it an says MILK (meaning bottle) I fill the bottle with water an hand it to her an she crys til I put milk in it then shes fine. [​IMG] Mind you this is a all day event not just at night..... I have read thourgh here an seen some of the suggestion on here like the stuffed animals an other things to take thier minds off the bottle but she already has a blanket that follows her around (blankie) an a gigantic ELMO that sleeps in her bed with her. It reallly doesnt bother me that she takes the bottle I just dont want her teeth to be ruined because of it. If anyone has any other suggestions about this Ill be glad to try them out. [​IMG]

Thanks,

Shelby (aka) Kylas Mommie

2. Applespark

Applespark Ingredients:*Sugar*

I took my guy off the bottle at 13 months or so. I knew it would be hard but I if I remeber right it took me about 3 days to do it altogether. Just giving it to him less and less. he cries for a bit but he got over it. I got rid of every bottle in the house. He uses sippy cups but also I let him use straws and straw sippy cups. One one had you know she won't be 16 and on the bottle but on the other hand she won't go thirsty if you take it away.

3. bella

bella Member

I have a 2 1/2 yr old daughter who refuses to let go of the bottle. It doesn't bother me, but it apparently bothers others around me. She is my only child to ever drink a bottle, my oldest was breastfed(refused to take a bottle) and I let him wean himself which he did at about 2 1/2. My youngest is 15 mos and is still breastfed when she wants it.

I also breastfed my 2yr old but she also liked the bottle~a lot. She will not drink anything but warm milk from them and only wants them when she wakes up and before she goes to bed. Her teeth are fine~I don't let her fall asleep with a bottle and I brush her teeth before she falls asleep.She is also completely potty trained.

It is her security item I think and when she is ready she'll let it go. I'm hoping within the next year so people will get off my back! These are the same people who thought it was (is) disgusting that I allow(ed) a baby over the age of 6 months breastfeed.

4. Kyla's Mommie

Kyla's Mommie Member

My situation is kinda the same " People On my back" an after reading all these threads an a few more Im agreeing with the rest of the mothers " she will let go when shes ready". I figure if Im doing my part in taken care of her teeth then all shall be just fine. The ones who are tellin me to get her off the bottle can just deal shes my baby an ill raise her how i want to..!.!.!.! [​IMG]

5. brown_eyes3268

brown_eyes3268 Member

First thing you can do is do you always give them milk in the bottle at night??? If so you could start watering the milk down to where if its the taste of the milk they need then it will help... Or switch the milk completely to water.... Do they use those sippy cups??? The reason I ask is my son was breast fed for 3 months then I put him on a bottle... He also had a passie as we called it that he used so much I thought I would never break him... But the way I broke him of the passie is I bought a new one that looked like the old one and gave it to him during the day... and at first he just looked at it like something is wrong here... Within a few weeks he stopped using the passie completely... Then with the bottle I changed nipples and I put water in it first during the day I switched him the sip cups and the first night he just kind of fussed a little about that but he took it... I keep the sip cup for him for a while he just got thristy during the night... But mainly I just got him used to the new nipples or passie or sip cup during the day for a little while then changed it at night... and it worked great with him... :) Good luck

6. Applespark

Applespark Ingredients:*Sugar*

I give water in the sippie cup at night. sometimes he throws it but I just tell him if hegets thirsty he's gonna want it in the night and I put it at the foot of his crib for him. But I guess I don't have much of a problem with weaning cuz my sons not a sucker(of the nipple or the bottle)good luck

7. bella

bella Member

I have tried mixing the milk with water per the advice of her pediatrician and she does not even notice, sometimes I do mostly water and maybe a 1/4 of the bottle is milk and she still does not notice.