System 76 vs. Dell Business Computer w/ Linux

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by newbie-one, Aug 18, 2020.

1. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

A while back, I bought a dell laptop that had linux installed. The idea was to protect my privacy and protect myself from malware.

I got a dell E6430s with Zorin Linux. The first clue should have been that when I bought it, I told the salesman that I wanted linux for privacy. His response was, "Privacy? Why would anyone want privacy?", as if he were very perplexed.

The E6430s, like a lot of other dell computers, has remote management technology embedded in it. This is what wikipedia has to say about it:
    It seems to me that a machine that has remote management technology is inherently vulnerable. I'm not sure if there are good options for other widely available linux compatible used machines.

Another option is System 76. The only obvious downside to system 76 is that they are expensive. I've been thinking about getting either a laptop or a desktop mini from them.

Interesting side note: I can't even add a system 76 to the cart when I visit their site and I'm on the dell laptop. I also can't access my protonmail account either.

Any thoughts?

2. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

I think disabling Intel active management is as simple as disabling a device driver in Windows. System Devices / Intel Management Engine Interface ... right click, disable.

newbie-one likes this.