Sylvia Plath Puts Anne Sexton To Shame?

Discussion in 'Poetry' started by PoetDude39, Jan 2, 2005.

1. PoetDude39

PoetDude39 Member

There's something very sad going on with our own American poets lately. (To be continued soon....)

2. Epiphany

Epiphany Copacetic

Personally, I like them both.

3. kidder

kidder Member

I like neither of them. I can't get into Plath at all. Sexton is, at least, tolerable. Why not put your time into reading the work of the classic poets? You can't beat the genius of Shakespeare's sonnets, the haunting insights and metaphorical wizardry of Keats' odes or the diamond inventiveness of Dylan Thomas. Throw out your Plath and start to get into the true masters of the genre.

4. PoetDude39

PoetDude39 Member

Me too. It just seems like Plath is getting more respect from the literary world. And that sorta puzzles me.

Peace,

~PD

5. Nightenchantress

Nightenchantress Member

Love Plath, not so hot with Sexton.
    sorry.

6. PoetDude39

PoetDude39 Member

I think Shakespeare is awesome. And some of Keats. And Dylan Thomas is a favorite of mine. But I studied those masters to death in college, and now enjoy discovering some of the more contemporary voices out there. I don't really think they have to be mutually exclusive. For example, I am a big fan of Shakespeare's tragedies, but I also think Charles Bukowski is really cool. Just a different kind of literary genius.

Peace,

~PD

7. PoetDude39

PoetDude39 Member

You're not alone. I often wonder if Sexton might become more respected as time goes by? Anyway, that's what I hope.

Peace,

~PD

P.S. Here's something ironic. Sexton actually got a Pulitzer while she was still alive. But Plath's was posthumous (for her Collected Poems). So things certainly can go up and down. I hear Robert Lowell is not nearly as popular as he once was. So I guess there's still hope for Sexton.