Sxsw

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Meliai, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Has anyone ever been to SXSW in Austin?

I was planning to go this year because some friends of mine are playing. However, I found out you can't really buy a single day pass or pay only for the shows you attend. Its like $625 to buy a music pass and I can't justify spending that much for my boyfriend and I both to have a pass, on top of airfare and hotel, when we'll only be there a few days and not for the entire run of the festival.

So I just wanted to vent about that - i think its total bullshit you can't pay a cover for the shows you attend. What if you're a local and just want to catch a couple of shows?

Also, I had a question for anyone who has been to sxsw or who has been to Austin in general....do you think it would be worth it just to go anyways? I was reading most bands that play the festival book other shows in the area outside of the festival so I'm sure I could still catch some shows. Depending on how many people tag along with my friends' band, I assume they might be able to at least get me in their show, although I'm not 100% of that. I thought it would be fun to at least go and spend a few days partying with them.

Or I could spend the money to go on vacation somewhere else. I'm not a huge fan of crowds and I know Austin will be nuts that week. I dunno if it would be worth battling the crowds if I'm not even going be attending the actual festival.

Thoughts?

2. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

They had drones flying over SXSW last year. Apparently the government is afraid of hipsters now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq5-Nqjgar0"]Drone Caught On Tape Over Austin - YouTube

3. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

all I see in the video is a shot of a remote controlled helicopter

people can own and operate these. don't see anything like NSA marked on it.

I suppose you could say it's an unmarked government drone, but I see no proof for this

4. Pressed_Rat

That is a drone -- not a "remote controlled helicopter."

Why would NSA be marked on it?

Please tell me how many people you have encountered who own something that looks like that?

5. Pressed_Rat

But yeah, the drones were used as part of a VICE documentary, so they weren't government drones. Still creepy, though.

6. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Drones are pretty creepy to me either way.

And hipsters are scary. The gubbament should be terrified of them. They will rule the world with their skinny jeans and their ironic mustaches one day.

7. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

I know a photographer that has something like that. He goes to events and sells Birdseye pics of what's going on. He started out with a BigFuckinPole cam but graduated to the helicam

8. deviate

deviate Senior Member

I have 2 good friends in Austin that are pretty connected in that scene. What day are you looking for passes? I'll see what I can do.

9. noela

noela Members

Absolutely. I know that it sucks but Austin is the live music capital of the world. You won't regret going, there will be plenty to see. For example, Austin City Limits AND Fun Fun Fun Fest in Austin are both coming up and i'm going to neither. Too damn expensive and it can get crazy crowded too. However, I found venues of my favorite bands who are playing side shows after or during those festivals... 20 bucks each. Not bad at all.

I also found at SXSW if you follow a lot of bands via Twitter you can find out secret shows (there's so many it's ridiculous). My favourite band played twice at SXSW and they had 3 secret shows on top of that. One was free. :2thumbsup:

This being said, I would go without hesitation. There's always music to be heard, especially in Austin. You won't regret a penny.

10. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil

Hey, do any of you Austinites know of a comic store called Tribe

11. deviate

deviate Senior Member

From what I've heard, everything is happening in Austin. I love music and building cars and bikes, so the people I know keep telling me to move there.

12. My names Cory

My names Cory Senior Member

I always thought it would be cool to go to SXSW... hopefully I can get there sometime in the near future!

But I hear positive things about Austin...seems like a cool city, always lots to do. Also one of the best cities for young people.

13. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Austin does seem awesome. I've always wanted to go. I think we might go anyways but I'm not paying $1000 for two sxsw music passes because that's stupid. I'm sure there is plenty to do and plenty of live music to see without being apart of sxsw.

14. fjdreams

fjdreams count chocula

did you ever make it to sxsw?

15. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I did not make it, something came up as things tend to do and I kinda forgot about it the following year. Next time I plan a trip I want to go to Colorado so Austin will have to wait another year or so.

16. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

Same, got two friends who run production companies, drones are less expensive than cranes.

17. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

and i still have never heard of sxsw.

truly, never. i'm pretty sure i missed this thread the first time around, so this isn't even my second time seeing those letters thrown together like that.