Switching From Cigarettes to E-Cigs.

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by PhotoDude, Jun 30, 2013.

1. PhotoDude

PhotoDude Member

I started smoking back when I was 16 (I'll be 29 in 15 days). The longest I've quit was a year and a half. In January I got an E-Cig, and have been using it off and on since. I've decided to completely quit cigarettes and just bought a new and what I feel is a better E-Cig. I've been cigarette free for the past 3 days. And I feel GREAT about it.

Just wondering how many people have stop smoking cigarettes and are now using E-Cigs/Vapes and how it's worked out for you?

2. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Banned

I would like to take this opportunity, on behalf of all other nonsmokers, to state a thank you for not only thinking about your overall health, but also the health of those around you who no longer have to breath in the toxic second hand smoke.

3. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

Yeah I think it's bit smoky in here,maybe someone could open the hip forums window.

4. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

What brand do you recommend, PhotoDude?

5. Scorp4vr

Scorp4vr Guest

Congratulations on switching. I've been using e-cigs for when I go out. It's stopped me from smoking in my car which I used to always do because driving stresses me out so much. I haven't completely quit cigarettes (which I smoke at home) but I don't smoke regular cigarettes. I roll my own from natural tobacco which does not contain any of the carcinogens that are in store-bought cigarettes.

If anyone is considering buying an e-cig online, however, stay away from Sapphire (I think they spell it Saphire) which is also related to Regal. Before you order, look up any company on the internet and see if they have been the subject of complaints - usually for unauthorized charges on a person's credit card. And read the fine print. Many times you are inadvertently signing up for automatic re-orders and you'll find your credit card charged over and over.

6. skitzo child

skitzo child PEACEFUL LIBRA

I tried to quit but failed

7. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

as a nonsmoker who dislikes cigarette smoke, i dated someone who switched to ecigs. eliminates the health issues of tar, and nicotine in itself is only a very addictive stimulant but not deadly. i like that it smells pleasant, kind of like air freshener of whatever flavor the person is smoking.

8. Slackjawed

Slackjawed Member

Congrats on making the switch I'm on 3 months using ecigs now and I'm loving it, feeling better and seing as I love gadgets I'm very happy with some more advanced versions of an ecig.

9. EventHorizon

EventHorizon Member

whitecloudcigarettes.com

Best on the market. I use the disposables myself.

10. Slackjawed

Slackjawed Member

11. ceasar augustus

ceasar augustus Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I quit last February after 20-odd years of smoking. I used e-cigs for the first 3 weeks or so which helped with the desire to feel the nicotine entering my lungs. Gradually decreased the usage with out a problem because I switched to nicotine lozenges. I used e-lite e-cigs.

I did the 4mg lozenge for 6 months and have now cut down to the 2mg ones. In February I'll either switch to 1.5mg lozenge or decrease the frequency of 2mg ones by alternating them with mints. Eventually I will just have the mints.

If I run short of lozenges I get a bit grumpy (grumpier than usual!) but I don't crave cigarettes anymore so the association between cigarettes and nicotine seems to have gone.

12. odonII

odonII O

These days I generally smoke when I'm drinking.
    Do e.c's have the same effect as 'real' c's?
    I've been close to buying one/some but they are so darned expensive...
    Yeah, I know they may save me money in the long run.
    But jeez near enough £20 straight up?
    I've also read they are not regulated/proven to work : /

13. ceasar augustus

ceasar augustus Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

When I tried to stop using just the lozenges (many times in the past) I always had a tightness in my chest in the morning which would tempt me to have a fag to relieve it. Once you have "just the one" you're back smoking again. Using e-cigs fooled my chest into thinking I was having a cigarette eased the chest tightness somewhat and mad it easier to get though the first day (see below)

They're not regulated yet but they will be regulated from next year I think as medical devices. This means that they will be required to have some testing to prove their safety, quality and efficacy but I doubt it will be full clinical trials due to the time and costs necessary. As long as companies market them as alternatives to cigarettes rather than claiming they reduce nicotine craving from cigarettes then they won't fall under the medicines regulations. I think the MHRA and the industry are discussing precisely how they will be regulated. As far as I know the e-cig brands just have polyethylene glycol and nicotine in the vapour so they shouldn't be harmful unless there is an excess of nicotine. If there is an excess it would be unlikely to cause serious harm to an adult as a few puffs would result in nausea and headache and hopefully they would stop using it for a bit. It might be a different story if a kid got hold of one -they might go mad puffign away and have serious nicotine overdose.

I think they're worth the money because I used to smoke 20 a day. Because I used them with lozenges, I weaned myself off them quickly. Also, mentally I went for mile stones;

1 day without cigs - milestone. I didn't stink of smoke. Why have one on day 2?
    3 days without cigs - milestone. I could breathe more freely. Why not try for a week?
    1 week without cigs - milestone. Feel great. Done a whole week. Why go back to them?
    3 weeks without cigs - milestone. Carbon monoxide in blood apparently reduced to that of a non-smoker. Why go back... etc and so on.

I can't recommend them enough if you just want to cut down or stop, but other brands I'm not sure about. People at work have all sorts of contraptions. The e-lite one just look like a fag...with a green tip.

14. odonII

odonII O

Thanks for that post.

I don't smoke at work anymore. To the best of my knowledge I don't smoke while I'm asleep. So, I'm not smoking for 3/4's of the day. I can go without having a cigarette for a day or two - no problems.
    I don't crave one as soon as I get up.
    It really is just when I'm drinking. That's the main thing.
    If it can carry me through when I'm drinking - I'll be happy.

15. Slackjawed

Slackjawed Member

Well as u can see from my earlier post mine look nothing like a real cgi and that's how I prefer it because it isn't anything like a real one, I am vaping nice sweet flavours, I use it while drinking with no problem whatsoever as for where to buy there's lots of options out there but as long as your happy they don't look like real thing then I suggest a look at www.greyhaze.co.uk they have a starter kit that has aspire bdc's which are just a fantastic device in my opinion and as for liquid I personally buy from www.wickedeliquid.co.uk any time you want to know more just ask I'm always happy to help someone make the switch and see the benefits.

16. odonII

odonII O

I meant does it...mmm, it's hard to explain.

'The reason: “Both alcohol and nicotine are addictive and stimulate the part of your brain that acts on rewards,” explains Marina Picciotto, Ph.D, professor of psychiatry at Yale University, who studies nicotine’s affect on the brain. “Taking one is like priming the pump, and it makes you crave the other.”'

http://news.menshealth.com/why-you-smoke-when-youre-drunk/2013/09/17/

If the e.cig' banishes the 'craving' while drinking - I'm in.

Do you work for an e.cig' company? :frown:

17. Slackjawed

Slackjawed Member

As long as you have a well working setup there should be no craving whatsoever as you are getting the nicotine which causes the craving from the ecig, no I don't work for one I'm just passionate about them in fact I've been out shopping again today lol love blueberry flavour liquid it's a very nice vape.

18. deleted

deleted Visitor

100's of chemical in tobacco, nicotine is only one and probably not even as addictive as the other pollution in tobacco.. This is why peeps are not really satisfied with those e things. unless youre this guy.. :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK5juw0Vhf4"]LOL! The biggest advantage of the electronic cigarettes - YouTube

19. junglejack

junglejack aiko aiko

good luck- -didnt work for me

I also bought those nicotine patches, ,left them in the back seat of the car- - good news is ,,my car didnt smoke for 2 months- -

20. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I love my vape pen. I've reduced the regular cigarettes to just a couple a day and I think I'm finding that I actually prefer the vape now.

I'm really happy with how well this is working for me.