Swimming

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by machinist, Jun 8, 2013.

1. machinist

machinist Banned Lifetime Supporter

ok so i started swimming for exercise as of a couple days ago. i've been one time. i SUCK at it. im just trying to do the freestyle stroke. i'm hoping i get better with practice hehe. its a lot of coordination involved. don't get me wrong i've been going to the pool since i was a tiny kid, but actually swimming laps is a different ballgame.

2. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

yep. swimming is easy, but swimming right is hard. especially if you were self-taught. those kids that learned through swim lessons seem to do it the "correct" way naturally, but i struggle my ass off to even come close. yet i still beat the pants off most of them in any speed or strength of swimming test i've done, so i don't worry too much about it.

3. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

I love swimming, but I hate pools.

Plus I suck at it. I can't go very long. Cliff jumpin is my favorite.

Jump.
    Swim to shore.
    Repeat.

4. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

i like to sit in a pfd and just use my arms lol

its definitely good exercise

ive not been out yet ..this year is too cold we still need more hot days to warm up the lakes

5. machinist

machinist Banned Lifetime Supporter

3rd day in the pool, and my first 'beginning' swim class. it went well. its free through the school. the instructor is going to make a training plan for me. she could tell i was in shape and she said my swimming looked good. she was like "what have you been doing besides swimming?" lol i still lose my form after like 30 minutes though. i lose my timing on breathing and it just turns into a mess, but thats just because my mind and body isnt used to it yet so with some practice that'll get better

6. Death

Death Grim Reaper Lifetime Supporter

I remember when i was a little kid, I had a revelation. "if I breathe like this, I can swim for almost indefinitely!!!"

7. lively_girl

lively_girl Member

Isn't swimming great? :D

Seriously swimming for 30 minutes is not easy, especially in the beginning.

Swim slowly. That way you'll have enough time to do your stroke properly and keep your body under control.

8. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I took swimming lessons as a kid. The side stroke is my favorite, followed by the back stroke.

9. porkstock41

porkstock41 Every time across from me...not there!

i was on the swim team in high school. i've lost most of that skill by now i'm sure.

when you're swimming freestyle, try to think of it as breathing from your armpit. when your arm is back and you want to breathe on that side, you kinda look back at your shoulder and breathe like that (if i made sense)

i usually breathed every 3 strokes, but you can do two when you get tired

10. kokujin

kokujin Senior Member

I'm swimming tonight :p time go eat some spaghetti for energy first.

11. markdavis0011

markdavis0011 Guest

I don't know how to swim but getting into the swimming pool is really exciting!

12. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

My aunt went with me when I was 6 to take my 1st swimming lesson. We were at the shallow end and I was whining around like a little twit--"I don't want To get in--I'm scared". So I was boo-hooing around and she pushed me in. I was such a dummy-the water was only up to my armpits! But I DID get to love swimming and I took lessons every summer just because it was so hot where I grew up. Took them up to senior lifsaving,but I'm glad I never had to try and save a drowning person.

13. nookslist

nookslist Guest

I want to learn swimming but how can i learn? I don't know. If someone help me, please give me some suggestions..

14. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

easiest way is to get in the water and try to move around in such a manner that you don't sink. then once you have that mastered, try moving around.

alternatively, you can generally get swim lessons at any rec center, ymca, etc that has a pool.

15. yahoohippegm

yahoohippegm Member

You can do it, I believe in you.

:2thumbsup:

16. LetLovinTakeHold

I went to a local rock quarry a few days ago for some swimming. It's a chill spot, open for swimming, scuba diving, camping, etc. I only wish they had a taller jump, 15ft is the tallest...

17. deleted

deleted Visitor

i wish i had my pool now.. i could put it up, but it would be fucked up..

18. *MAMA*

*MAMA* Perfectly Imperfect

I'm awful at swimming. In fact, my friends won't even let me call it "swimming." According to them, what I do is just, "not drowning."

19. LetLovinTakeHold

20. wobs

wobs Senior Member

mama dont bother about it, it takes a lot of practice