Swimming Naked at the Y

Discussion in 'Nudism, Naturism' started by Steveh, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Barry Mandelay

Barry Mandelay Banned

If you didn't have a swim suit you were naked during PE in the pool at my high school. There was a list of what was required for PE sent home. Gym shorts, athletic tee, shoes, towel, lock, and of course a swim suit. Certainly the swim suit was always misplaced, forgotten, or just plain lost. There was the usual grab ass and games being played that I partook in with all the others. And then there was the knuckle head that ran through the girls shower room after our time was up. That was the last time he was allowed in the pool area during PE. I then got involved in Wrestling and my PE classes ceased. Extra curricular athletes were not required to take PE during their sports season. Since I became a multi sport athlete I had no more PE classes the rest of my high school years. As for the Y, today it is co-ed so suits are required outside the locker rooms.

2. Steveh

Steveh Members

Yes, the grab ass and other games were great fun at times

3. Bobbie52

Bobbie52 Members

I started swimming at the YMCA when I was 12 and my friend and I would ride the bus to go swimming most every Saturday. It was mandatory tovswim nude.

4. Biggles_Nude!

Biggles_Nude! Hakuna matata.

I did my swimming lessons at the 'Y' in the late 1970s ('77 I think). It was optional for Speedos or shorts. Early on I participated in lessons with Speedos, and toward the end of lessons went nude (the Instructor was also nude most of the time), following the example of older people. The days of nude swimming at the 'Y', for lessons or recreation, have passed into long-ago history. Besides which I hate chlorinated water and Speedos!!

5. goodearth

goodearth Member

When I was in grammar school, we swam naked at the Y and received our swimming lessons that way. All ages of men swam naked together, and no one seemed to question it at all. Yeah....sometimes we would get an erection; but nobody had ever told us what it was, so we ignored it and had fun.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  6. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

yea it's totally normal. I was benching last week at 24 hour fitness completely naked.

7. Bobbie52

Bobbie52 Members

It’s pretty much an old wives tale about putting something in the water to turn it colors if you pee. Whether in swimsuits or nude, I suspect people pee in the pool from time to time. That’s why pools need biocides treatment— chlorine or whatever choice you make.

8. quark

quark Parts Unknown

9. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i don't know if that chemical actually exists or not, but i can guarantee you nobody is actually using it in their professional pool. it would just be a bad business decision to pay extra money for a chemical that will embarrass half of your paid customers when they get caught peeing, and gross out the other half when they see that they're swimming in pee. out of sight, out of mind is a much better system here; everyone knows people are peeing in the pool but you don't really think about it anyway. that's why they're required to have disinfectant in the pool

Orison likes this.
  10. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Makes me want to get a bottle of food coloring and squirt it near some unsuspecting swimmer at a public pool.

goodearth likes this.
  11. I liked the time when I was naked and there was a naked girl and she saw me naked.

12. JanePeterss84

JanePeterss84 Members

That's for sure, the Y's and other gyms seem to have gotten rid of that stuff in favor of the private or family changing rooms. Some of those are still only semi-private like kids above a certain age aren't supposed to go in there. But in my case sometimes you'll see a mother with her son, and daughters too, and of course my hubby gets the opposite when he's in there with our daughter and he's not creepy but he gets frustrated cause sometimes people give him double-takes or dirty looks simply because he's going in there with his daughter, sometimes you just wanna say "chill" lol.

13. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

I dont believe the op ...unless he is like 120 years old,,,,,,no way this happened as told

14. Biggles_Nude!

Most educational. I have never heard of such a thing being added to swimming pools.
    But chlorinated water can discolour through chemical reaction (urea in urine), though you'd need a hell of a lot of pee for that to occur noticeably.

15. Biggles_Nude!

I am in Australia, Surf Coast, Victoria matter of fact... :wink:

16. Gerald1122

Gerald1122 Members

When I was a boy the YMCA in Christchurch, NZ, had a full sized swimming pool in the basement where you swam naked. In 1967 the Y ran a school holiday programme for boys up to the age of 14/15. This was overseen by the Matron at the Christchurch YMCA. Swimming instruction and water sports were only part of the programme : there was gym work and various trips around the City. The instruction was carried out by older school boys who were also naked. The Matron was a close friend of my mother. Her boys were enrolled in the programme, one a little older than me, was one of the instructors. The question was asked would I and my close friend like to join in, this is 1967. We were shown around the facilities by the Matron. The pool was in use for a water polo game. Not too many boys of my age I thought. My friend was really keen on the nude swimming. This matter did not appeal to me as I was having a difficult puberty, which none of my friends were having by the way. I was 13 at the time. It was difficult enough wearing a swimming costume : the mind boggled on what would happen being naked. Anyway we had been a little irresponsble and had spent the fee we were meant to pay to the Y, so that was that. No fee paid, no entry. That programme was the last as the building was knocked down later that year. Attitudes to nude swimming were quickly changing at that time. Some private primary schools (eg, Middleton Grange) with boarding facilities had nude swimming instruction for boys 5-13. There was as well naked use of the pool after school by the boarders. This was over around 1968. The Government run thermal hot pools at Rotorua and Hamner Springs had nude segregated swimming for many years. This was also done away with about the same time. Rotorua was naked in 1967, and Hamner Springs clothed in 1969.

17. *pixy*

*pixy* Member

Hi, maybe this changed when YMCA became co-educational? This would be a simple explanation. I wonder if the girls at the YWCA did practice nude swimming too.

P.S.: if you search for YMCA historic swim pics you can see that at co-ed contests the girls usually did wear a swimsuit while the boys were nude.

18. Gerald1122

Gerald1122 Members

That's an interesting question. The Y movement in NZ certainly joined forces. In Wellington, for instance the YMCA closed and the former YWCA hostel took males. The combined hostel, in turn, then closed as a result of changes to Government training courses, those on these 6 week courses, predominately staying at the Y. Historically the YWCA provided accommodation for young women. The focus of the YMCA was more towards physical activities for males, hence the association of YMCAs with swimming pools, though the Wellington YMCA did not have a swimming pool and used the public segregated male pool. Originally male swimming there was with out costume that is naked to about 1910. The women's pool, though required costumes. This clearly is a double standard. The pictures that can be found showing naked males and clothed females at YMCA swim meets are certainly a puzzle as they are contrary to the male only nature of the YMCA. Some images are photo shopped, especially those in colour, others appear genuine and therefore probably not related to the YMCA.

19. English

English Members

The North Carolina YMCAs definitely had nude swimming in 1972 because I had gone to the Charlotte Y not knowing the rules . I had just arrived from the UK and was 23 years old. I didn’t know anyone but was always a keen swimmer and decided to spend a couple of hours in the Y pool. I went into the dressing room and changed into my trunks when I noticed several guys strutting around in the nude. At the time I thought maybe it was that it was required to take a nude shower before entering the pool, lots of pools I’d been to had this rule. So I went to the showers which were adjacent to the pool and stripping off my swim trunks took a brief shower nude. I was joined by around half a dozen other guys of different ages. No big deal, that was until I tried to walk into the pool house with trunks on.
    I was stopped and told that only nude swimming was allowed. I was flabbergasted and turned around to return to the locker room but a young guy sat on the edge of the pool callled out to me. He encouraged me to try it telling me it was very liberating and physically felt awesome. I’ve never really been shy, the last time I’d been nude in “public” was in high school showers where I must admit enjoying being nude among my schoolmates.
    Anyway I stripped off that day and thoroughly enjoyed myself even sitting for a time on the benches around the oool chatting with other nude fellows. So those that doubt nude swimming at the Y, it happened, I was there,

20. Oral_Jim

Oral_Jim Members

Back in the 60s I was on just about every swim team I could find, both school and municipal. My high school team used to work out at the YMCA and about half the team would take advantage of the chance to swim naked. (Now that I'm older I now understand why all those guys sat in the stands and watched us work out.)