Sure, COVID is bad but YOU still must work, to produce for the company

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Deleted member 42017, Mar 14, 2020.

1. There comes a time when I really have to weigh my options with regard to my employer. Can they really be THIS fucking control crazy? Do they really need to own our lives utterly? Are they willing to sacrifice our very lives to maintain control? Or is it just plain greed?

What sucks, is getting the answer, in writing:

Good afternoon Team,
    A lot has happened here in Atlanta in the last couple day. The governor held a press conference and issued a “call to action” for educators, schools and day care providers. As a result, the University of Georgia system, Fulton County Schools, Atlanta Public Schools, Marietta City Schools, Decatur City Schools, Cobb County Schools, Cherokee County Schools and more have announced closings. We believe more actions will be coming very soon. XXXX of XXX is committed to the safety and well-being of our employees, customers, and patients. We have assembled a team here to keep on top of the latest events surrounding COVID-19/Corona virus. The offices will remain open. Right now we are working on a plan to address work arrangements and will have an announcement ready early next week.

Office etiquette
    Please make sure you are washing your hands constantly. The CDC recommends washing your hands for at least 20 seconds with soap and warm water.
    We have secured a supply of disinfecting wipes. These will be placed in the office for you to wipe down your desk and belongings twice a day-when you arrive in the morning and after lunch. Please use these responsibly. The supply is limited and we may not be able to secure more for some time.
    Use hand sanitizer. Logistics has helped us out and is sending enough so we can provide everybody a personal hand sanitizer as well as some larger bottles that we can place strategically around the office. Please remember to use hand sanitizer before and after you touch things in the common areas. Unfortunately, this shipment won’t arrive for about two weeks. In the meantime, if you have some personal hand sanitizer, I would recommend that you use it.

Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
    Cover your cough or sneezes with a tissue and then throw the tissue in the trash
    Avoid close contact with people who are sick
    If you notice someone in the office who is sick, encourage them to go home. We all need to be socially responsible and work together to keep ourselves and each other healthy. If you become concerned, please notify a senior manager or HR immediately.
    Adopt “social distancing” practices which reduce your physical contact with others. For example, consider not shaking other’s hands when greeting them.
    We request that you not set up face-to-face meetings if you can utilize web conferencing or conference calls to limit your physical exposure.
    Only essential personnel will be allowed in the office. If you have a meeting with an outside vendor that is not mission critical and time sensitive, please postpone the meeting.

Daily temperature checks
    Beginning next week, we will institute daily temperature checks for ALL employees. All XXXX of XXX offices around the world are doing the same.
    Everyone entering a company building will need to use the front door only. The side entrance will be disabled. If you need to smoke, you can go out the side door, but will need to re-enter through the front door. We have a non-contact digital laser infrared thermometer on the way and we will take the temperature all employees and visitors as they enter the building….every time. If you enter the building 4 times in a day, you will get your temperature read 4 times that day. Please cooperate with the front desk person in this process as she is just doing what I have requested her to do.
    If anyone has a fever greater than 99.4⁰F, he/she will not be allowed to enter the building and will be sent home.

Please check your temperature before you leave your house in the morning with your personal thermometer.
    During the day we will have twice-daily temperature checks that will need to be logged. Also, directions and expectations on times to report are: in the morning by 10:00 am EST, and between 3:00 – 5:00 pm in the afternoon. This is not optional and we will be monitoring this for compliance.
    Enter your temperature in Fahrenheit using the following format carrying to the tenth degree. Example: 98.6. We are implementing a solution for logging your temperature, and will send out instructions next week.
    Calendar invites will be sent to all to prompt you to take and record your temperature.
    We have ordered a supply of personal digital thermometers for everyone in the office. These are to stay in the office—do not bring home. Right now HR has 60, the rest are on the way. An assistant will be coming around to distribute. If you have one at home you can use, please use that until we get our second shipment. If you do not have a thermometer at home, please purchase one. You can find a digital thermometer for less than $10.

Cleaning
    Building management has implemented enhanced cleaning and sanitizing of our offices and the building each night. We will also be continuously sanitizing hard surfaces throughout the office during the day.
    We understand there is a lot of news and things are fluid. We are doing everything we can to assist you from a work perspective. If you have questions or concerns, please reach out to your manager or HR.
    We are here to help you and ensure we have a safe environment for all.

2. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

When you enter the front door and they request your temperature to be taken, drop your pants and bend over. :grinning:

guerillabedlam and WritersPanic like this.
  3. What's so blatantly stupid is funneling all of the employees through the lobby when the building has 4 entries. It's like they are asking for infections.

OR, they want the blowback so they can fire anyone who complains. Times have been lean lately and sales people have been tossed with some regularity. Maybe now they want to thin the herd in the main offices. If people quit, they can't file for unemployment. So I see greed as the motivation. COVID has become a fear weapon, for corporations.

mysticblu21 likes this.
  4. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I think offices should close up as a show of solidarity. I know... how naïve of me.

5. Me too! Apparently.

6. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

We are not going to get the full economic king hit for a couple months. Won't really see the true effect of that until 6-18 months down the track. To see if it was worth obliterating the world economy for this

At least you have a job at the moment

7. I've considered this very thing. There's no winning here. If I walk, the chances of finding another job during this bullshit is nearly nonexistent. And maybe that's why my power hungry boss took this action. It allows him a plausible reason for running the place like an internment camp.

I've always known he was a control freak. Anyone who expresses joy at solving a problem or saving the company a bundle of cash and here he comes, to rain on their parade. Usually with some snide remark like "if only you could do it more often" or "well, that pays the electric bill for a few more months". Always the message is obvious, you don't measure up to his impossible "standards".

I already have a plan though. On Monday I'm going to have a hand warmer going. And right before I enter the building, I'm going to heat my face. And if it's cools too quickly, I'll do it again under the pretense of walking around the building to log my steps.

If all else fails, I'll walk down the hall, combing my hair with a Red Snapper and singing Dixie (if I can recall the words).

8. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Not just talking about you leaving your job

How many businesses, industries are going to go under because of this. The sudden drop on the governments revenue

The short version; who's going to pay for all these shutdowns?

soulcompromise likes this.
  9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Local man who hates his job feeling under the weather, pretty sure he has coronavirus.

wrat likes this.
  10. A follow up:

The greedy lords that employ me have decided that having me die from a plague is ultimately not profitable. After all where else are they going to find someone who lies so well, just to make them look good? So they sent me packing a couple of hours ago with my laptop and a couple of monitors and a laser printer.

Into the trunk I heaved a few dozen proprietary manuals that are never supposed to leave the plant. And I have 2TB of shit from the network on an external drive.

It's a corporate spy's wet dream.

And yet, I have their blessings. Can you imagine it? What the hell is wrong with people?

mysticblu21 and soulcompromise like this.
  11. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

Beautiful isn't it ?

Less money they have more liberty we have.

The growth of the state is always proportional to the preceding economic growth.

Economic growth creates wealth, and the wealth attracts more thieves and political parasites, whose greed and psychopathic behavior erodes our freedoms.

In other words, revenue metastasizes the cancer of the state.

I hope all the shit bag government offices like the DMV never re open.

12. Today I mixed my second gallon of Lysol concentrate. To this mix a ratio of 25% ethanol (190 proof) and use it to spray down the decontamination station I have made for my wife. So when she returns from 12-14 hours dealing with a hospital full of infected people, she has a plastic corridor to the shower/laundry room. All her clothing and towels go into immediate bleach hell and a sanitize setting. Then she gets to come into the house!

Beach Ball Lady Balls likes this.