Supreme Court upholds voter suppression.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by MeAgain, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Just quickly, what I read at Voter.org said to call the phone number listed and they'd let you know what your address is. If I'm remembering correctly, the number may have been 911. I'm sure first responders have a way of assigning locations to the people already.

2. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Maybe, I went to their ND site but couldn't find it. You can search for polling site by house number, but that doesn't help if you have a box address. It does state you need:
    • Name
    • Current North Dakota Residential Address
    • Date of Birth
    But I can't see how to get a residential address if you don't have one.

So I went to ND's 911 site.
    ND's 911 system works off off cell phones which are no help in residential addresses, or landlines. Landlines show the caller's address, but if the caller has a box address I assume it would show that, I don't know.

Anyway, if 911 can identify anyone without a residential address, why can't the voting system?

I must be missing something here.

3. Aerianne

I can't find that info. I don't know where I saw that.

I did find this article on the difficulty of establishing a street address in N. D.

Home Addresses On Navajo Nation Are Rare, Officials Working To Change That

4. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

We talked about this in church, and people were saying the number is 911. Whether they're right or not is another question.

5. Aerianne

"911- What's the location of your Emergency?"

"I'm on the Rez."

6. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Lol
    There has to be a better number for them to call

7. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Abuse of the 911 system could land them in jail... Perfect way to keep them from voting.

8. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

A

I ask again are you arguing that such laws as these passed by Republican politicians that favour Republican candidates are purely innocent and that the favouring of Republicans is just a unforeseen consequence?

9. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

The DNC: We must keep foreigners and foreign nations like Russia from meddling and compromising the integrity of our elections.

Also the DNC: Voter ID laws are racist and xenophobic! We should allow anyone on US soil to vote.

Lets see here....
    In the USA, you need a state-issued ID to:

-Board an airplane
    -Buy alcohol
    -Buy cannabis
    -Get medical insurance
    -Apply to a university
    -Buy a gun
    -Buy tobacco
    -Enter a sex shop
    -And more...

So if anyone here is saying that minorities are too inept to acquire a state-issue ID to vote or do any of the above, you need nothing but a mirror to find yourself a real racist.

And don't give me that crap about Student IDs. They aren't acceptable. I used to work as a bouncer for a night club and I checked all kinds of IDs. We allowed Passports, Drivers Licensees, Military IDs, Non-driver State Issue IDs (for people who got their licensees taken away), and even concealed gun permits (but those were very rare to find and not many people flashed those). But never student IDs. Because how the hell were we supposed to know what all collegiate IDs were supposed to look like? How is the ID checker supposed to know the difference between a REAL student ID and a counterfeit when there's so many different colleges out there that make them differently? My college didn't birth dates, sex, height, or weight on the ID cards either.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  10. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Also, here in Oregon we don't have voting stations. Every registered voter gets their ballots in the mail to a physical address of some kind, whether it be a post office box or a street address.

11. GuerrillaLorax

GuerrillaLorax along the peripheries of civilization

Wow you need to be an amerikan citizen to enter a sex shop? That's just sad.

And Natives aren't "foreigners"...

And we're not the ones that sent the Indigenous to the "4th world" ie reservations.

12. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

The DNC never said that. You made it up.
    Well, isn't that special. But a post office box won't cut it under the new requirements in North Dakota..It has to be a street address. Why? Many reservations don't have street addresses. And we Native Americans were here first. Not "foreigners"!
    Not so. Minorities aren't "inept". Low-income, racial and ethnic minorities, the elderly, and people with disabilities often have difficulty obtaining ID, because they can't afford to obtain the underlying documents that are necessary for getting a government-issued photo ID card. The total cost of document fees, travel expenses and waiting time range from $75 to $175. Until its voter ID law was struck down, North Carolina would not honor public assistance IDs and state employee ID cards, which were disproportionately held by Black voters. And until recently, Wisconsin allowed active duty military ID cards, but prohibited Veterans Affairs ID cards.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    Tyrsonswood likes this.
  13. MeAgain

Do you disagree that we need to "We must keep foreigners and foreign nations like Russia from meddling and compromising the integrity of our elections?"

Voter ID laws are racist and xenophobic!
    That would depend on the law. As I said here in PA you must show certain types of ID to register to vote...but not to vote.

We should allow anyone on US soil to vote.
    Who ever said that?

In the USA, you need a state-issued ID to:
    You need ID to register to vote. You have to prove your citizenship. After that in some states you need an ID to vote, in others you don't.
    As, for example, in PA you don't need an ID to vote (except for the first time) and the rate of voter fraud is zero. What's the point of requiring an ID to vote?
    When I go to vote in two weeks, I'll march into my polling place, sign my name, and vote.

So if anyone here is saying that minorities are too inept to acquire a state-issue ID to vote or do any of the above, you need nothing but a mirror to find yourself a real racist.
    Really? When deliberate obstacles are placed in someone's way and we complain we're the racist?
    Seems to me those that target Native Americans who have voted in the past without street addresses, with no proof of voter fraud, are the racists. Oh, and those who support them.
    Let's remember we're not complaining about who they vote for, or which party, we just want them to vote. They can vote straight Republican if they want to.

And don't give me that crap about Student IDs. They aren't acceptable.
    Apparently you don't know that different states (and Commonwealths) have different voting laws.

Tyrsonswood and Okiefreak like this.
  14. Flagme15

Flagme15 Members

you don't need an id to enter a sex shop

15. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Apply to a university? Is that true? Why Millions of Americans Have No Government ID

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  16. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

university?

i thought we were talking about residents of indian reserves

:rolleyes:

oh my god im a racist part native,,somebody call the internet police

17. MeAgain

From your link.
    It's all very simple. Really basic. Anyone with any common sense at all knows exactly what's going on.

We had a black President!
    My god!

The minorities are taking over, the while man's on the run, circle the wagons, stop them from voting!
    The last thing we need is another minority member in the White House.

I mean what's next? A black Jewish women?
    Or worse yet, shudder, shudder, a college educated black Jewish women?

Balbus, Tyrsonswood and Okiefreak like this.
  18. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

19. MeAgain

From your link:

soulcompromise likes this.
  20. So, basically, they invent some bullshit problem and offer a bullshit solution. Great, your tax dollars at work.