Supreme Court upholds voter suppression.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by MeAgain, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

In a nutshell...

Voter suppression and gerrymandering is happening all over the US. The Republican party is doing it and those that might vote Democratic are the targets. Now that the supreme court is Republican heavy all this bullshit is perfectly fine and legal.[/thread]

Okiefreak and scratcho like this.
  2. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

simple

the state makes their own rules

thats why

3. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

do the reservations themselves not have addresses? how is that even possible?

well, those aren't photo IDs.

really? what's the idea behind that? concessions for the older folks because they're not as photogenic?

teenagers in tennessee should just put on a white wig and swipe grandpa's license when they want a drink.

4. lode

lode Banned

Many liberal democracies simply register every citizens to vote at 18.

And if you were concerned about voter fraud, you could have the state take a photo, store it in a database, and use facial recognition to verify at the polls. One could even allow voting from smartphones this way. These aren't insurmountable problems, and all the barriers that are put up exist simply to disenfranchise.

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  5. lode

lode Banned

In Texas you cannot vote with a student ID that has your photo.

6. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

yeah the government is too picky on which photo IDs are acceptable photo IDs. it's the same with hiring documentation; i hired a police officer for a part time job last year and he brought in his police ID, which is obviously a government issued photo ID. but it wasn't acceptable to hire the guy.

but my point still stands on the quoted post; IDs that don't have a photo on them are not photo IDs.

7. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Kentucky law only requires that the poll worker verify the voter's identity by "personal acquaintance," or with some document such as a driver's license, social security card, or credit card. Other forms of ID are also acceptable, just something official that has that person's name on it. Seems reasonable enough to me.

Running Horse and Tyrsonswood like this.
  8. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Ok from what I’ve read it goes like this - a Democrat gets elected by a few thousand votes but in a couple of districts she got a lot of votes those areas with many Native Americans in them.

The reservations where many of these Native Americans live have traditionally not had street names I believe it is cultural thing so instead people use PO boxes and these have traditionally been accepted as an ‘address’ anyway this is a known fact in the state.

So the Republican controlled legislature pass a law saying that people have to have a street name to vote. Surprisingly this affects few people outside of the reservations but it does result in those Native Americans not having an address suddenly not been able to vote.

Now just by coincidence that means the Democrat that got elected by just a few thousand vote has suddenly lost a few thousand votes.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    scratcho, MeAgain and snowtiggernd like this.
  9. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Now are some people (like A) seeming to argue that such laws as these passed by Republican politicians that favour Republican candidates are purely innocent and that the favouring of Republicans is just a unforeseen consequence?

Because if they are, I’d like to talk to them about this bridge I’ve got for sale….

MeAgain likes this.
  10. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I don't understand your remark about some forms of ID not being photo IDs. So what.

As I've pointed out, in PA you don't need a photo ID, you don't need any ID after you've registered.
    And PA has no voter fraud.

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  11. MeAgain

So what's going on?
    The law is not a response to voter fraud.
    So you have to get a street name registered, how do you do that? Anyone know? And the entire town must be done. Then have your ID changed, which I assume requires a trip to the photo center and a fee...then a wait for processing.

Why again?

scratcho and Tyrsonswood like this.
  12. MeAgain

So thinking about this.
    Let's suppose you live on a one mile long "horse trail" in your "teepee", as Spaceman put it. Let's suppose there are ten other people living along that horse trail.
    First everyone has to get together and agree on a common name, at the same time. We can't have ten different people giving the road ten different names.
    Next someone has to apply for the name, somehow. So somebody has to figure out how to do this. How much red tape is involved?
    But let's assume we figured it out, now the "horse trail" is named. Horse Trail Road.
    How do we prove we live on Horse Trail Road? Why, anyone could claim they live there.
    I suppose we'll have to provide tax records, or a deed, or some proof that our teepee is really located on that new road.
    How do we do that?
    According to ND's web site in order to prove residence we need one of the below:
    Acceptable documents for proof of North Dakota resident address:
     Government issued property tax form
     Mortgage/Lease/Rental document
     Homeowner/renter’s insurance policy
     Utility bill (electricity, gas, water, sewer, cable, recycle)
     Non-cellular phone bill
     Currently issued school transcript/report card
     Statement from a financial institution (bank, credit union, or other financial institution)
     Credit, debit, or charge card statement
     Pay stub or statement from employer
    NOTE: All documents presented for satisfactory proof of address has to be the most current issued document. Proof of address will be required every time address is changed.
    I wonder why we can't use one of those to vote...like in Pennsylvania?

Next, how do we prove who actually lives in that teepee? Anyone could claim they live in my teepee.
    How do we do that?
    I don't know.

So we figured that out and we haven't been challenged as to who really lives in that teepee that supposedly occupies some portion of Horse Trail Raod.
    Let's change our address.
    We have to notify everything and everybody that used our old PO box address. Let's see, bank accounts, credit cards, passport, utility bills, insurance, on line orders, subscriptions, mailing lists, PayPal, invoices, the IRS, local tax agencies, public schools, Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, ISPs, and your driver's license.

Now we wait for address changes to take effect. Make sure you don't miss a payment somewhere or loose something when the Post Office can't find you for awhile.

How about getting that photo ID to vote?
    To get a new driver's license in ND we need, in addition to the proof of residence above, one of the below:
    1. U.S. Birth Certificate (State certified; Government-Issued [includes U.S. Territories])
    2. Canadian Birth Certificate IF one of the parents has a place of birth listed as Canada
    3. U.S. Passport or U.S. Passport Card, must be valid and unexpired.
    4. Consular Report of Birth Abroad (U.S. Government-Issued) (Certificate or FS240-seal required)
    5. Valid Foreign Passport with I-94 card or I-551 stamp
    6. U.S. Active Duty/Retiree/Reservist Military ID card
    7. U.S. Court Order for adoption containing the legal name and date of birth (Court seal required)
    8. North Dakota state issued permit, driver license or ID card
    9. The following unexpired immigration documents:
    10. Dependent military identification card
    11. Concealed weapons permit
    12. TWIC, NEXUS, or SENTRI card
    13. Social Security Card
    14. Certified School Records and transcript or current school yearbook
    15. Vehicle title or registration
    16. Court or state (government) issued marriage certificate, divorce decree or name change (Court seal required. No photocopies)
    17. Medicare or Medicaid Card
    18. Military discharge (form DD-214)
    19. Selective Service Card
    1. Current Junior High or High school Photo ID Card
    2. Employee photo ID card
    3. Pilots license
    4. Tribal ID card
    5. Driver Education certificate
    I wonder why we can't use one of those to vote...like in Pennsylvania?

Then we travel to the nearest photo center and pay out $8.00.

Piece of cake.

13. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

you said that not all types of photo ID are accepted, then listed non-photo IDs as an example. i was just pointing out that your example was not really the best example. doesn't really make much difference to the point of the thread.

14. I first have to wonder how many people in the US simply cannot get an ID in the 21st century. And second, do any of the people fighting these kinds of "paper" IDs realize that their entire argument will evaporate as biometrics advance? A more prudent plan would be to shut up about it and provide ID cards as they are needed.

For years I ran a computer business out of a mail suite because I didn't want clients to think I was a garage operation (if only, I didn't even have a garage). I also paid for a human answering service that answered like a secretary. The rest of the time I was in my car or working at a client site. Nobody was the wiser and in the 80s people couldn't Go-ogle you!

What I also don't get is how this issue was able to move forward. Where were the district representatives when this was made into a motion? I ask because it sounds like what happens too often in small-town Georgia. People who should be at meetings are MIA when critical issues come to the floor. If it's a genuine, planned effort to suppress votes, it was facilitated by the cooperation or incompetence of an elected representative who shat upon their constituency. Probably for a buck.

15. MeAgain

Not all types of photo id are accepted in some states...in others they are.

16. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Bingo...

17. lode

lode Banned

[​IMG]

Okiefreak likes this.
  18. GuerrillaLorax

GuerrillaLorax along the peripheries of civilization

Accounted for by whom?

19. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

OK got you - voter suppression is fine it’s not trying to stop it that is the real crime.

So it’s not the fault of the people wanting to suppress the vote is the fault of the (probably corrupt) people that didn’t stop them.

Victim – police officer I’ve just been mugged by that man there

Police officer ignoring the mugger and grabbing hold of the victim – I don’t blame him I blame you for not stopping him and you are probably only allowed yourself to be mugged to make a false insurance claim.

Anyway the restrictions were fought that is way it went all the way to the Supreme Court

Okiefreak likes this.
  20. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Simple. The Republicans who control those states are abusing their power for partisan advantage--at the expense of democracy.

Balbus and MeAgain like this.