Supreme Court upholds voter suppression.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by MeAgain, Oct 19, 2018.

1. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Last week the "new" supreme Court voted to uphold a recent Republican law that requires that voters present an ID which includes a residential address in order to vote. Many Native Americans, who largely vote Democratic, don't have street addresses, just postal boxes.
    Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Elena Kagan dissented.
    This law would prohibit them from voting unless they get a street address....even if they don't live on a street that has an address. They would have to petition for an address and have one made up and assigned.
    Welcome to the new Supreme Court.​

scratcho, Noserider and Balbus like this.
  2. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Yeah, my husband's parents and his sister both had to make up street numbers when they first built their houses.

3. Aerianne

I wonder how you would get electricity or other utilities without an address.

You have to provide utility receipts, rent receipts, or lease to get public assistance.

WritersPanic likes this.
  4. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

The right pisses off the minorities and the minorities don’t vote for them so the right try to suppress the votes of the minorities and pisses them off even more making them even more likely to vote against them so…

Well if the right have the Supreme Court of the US in their pocket

5. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Problem is: if a majority of the people in this country comes to believe that the institutions of so-called democracy in this country are stacked against them, how long will the minority be able to keep the lid on? And what tactics will it have to resort to to do that? White Republicans in this country better start breeding faster and hope that most of the kids are male. Demography isn't on the Republicans' side.

6. Aerianne

Why do people object to being accounted for? What's the objection to listing an address and having a photo ID?

7. deleted

deleted Visitor

Cant see why they want voter id. Only dems want an illegal election.. Didnt yinz cheat to get the ball in your favor last time?> How dat work out for yinz>

[​IMG]

8. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

That's absolutely ridiculous. There needs to be an exception for people with no address. What if you're homeless?

Noserider likes this.
  9. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

searching for excuses to explain their future defeats

10. Aerianne

I'm thinking that if you're homeless you'd have more pressing concerns.

soulcompromise likes this.
  11. MeAgain

First, let's remember about all the conspiracy theorists who object to a national data base and the IDing of all members of society.

Second, there isn't any need for photo ids or street numbers during an election.
    The percentage of voter fraud during an election is between 0.0003 percent and 0.0025 percent. Or 31 incidences out of 1 billion ballots cast. Let me repeat that 31 out of 1,000,000,000.

Third, 3.2 million Americans don't have a photo ID.
    Fourth, not just any photo ID is accepted by many states. Medicaid cards, Social Security cards or bank cards are not accepted. It must be a government photo ID (see number 1). That usually means a driver's licence. Many elderly don't drive and many city residents don't drive.
    Fifth to get an acceptable photo ID you need, an ID. That means a birth certificate. That is often problematic for many seniors and rural residents who never had a birth certificate issued. Also early birth certificates contain spelling or name errors. If you don't have a birth certificate, need to get a copy, or it's rejected...too bad, you need another form of, guess what? A photo ID.
    Sixth, if you're a women you may also need a marriage certificate or divorce papers, and a birth certificate. Some women need all three.

Seven, In one state, Tennessee, photos of anyone over 65 are not put on their driver's licence. I'd fall into that category.

So with all these problems and traps...let's look at the need again from another source:
    Maybe we need a graph
    [​IMG]
    Adding the requirement for street numbers is just another tactic to suppress votes.​

scratcho and Balbus like this.
  12. MeAgain

Do you have any data to back up your claim?

snowtiggernd likes this.
  13. deleted

deleted Visitor

now now.

14. Aerianne

Here is the answer to all the what-if's. Voter ID Laws - Vote.org

Yes, I had to take my birth certificate, probably divorce papers but I don't remember, and my marriage license to get my driver's license renewed.

People who were born at home can have driver's licenses. My mother-in-law did. You do have to register your birth and have a Birth Certificate.

These are the requirements to vote in North Dakota:

If you are voting in person in North Dakota (including during early voting), you must present one of the following forms of ID (or a combination of IDs) that shows your name, ND address and your birth date at the time you vote:

• Current driver’s license or non-driver’s identification card
    • Tribal government issued identification
    • Long-term care certificate (provided by ND facility)
    • Another form of ID that shows your name, ND address, and birth date, such as:
      • a current utility bill
      • a current bank statement
      • a check issued by a federal, state, local, or tribal government
      • a paycheck
      • a document issued by a federal, state, local, or tribal government.
    If you are not able to show a valid form of ID but assert qualification as an elector, you will be permitted to mark a ballot and bring valid ID following Election Day to have your vote counted.North Dakota Election Center - Vote.org

15. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

Probably, but you still deserve to be able to vote.

scratcho, Balbus and Meliai like this.
  16. Aerianne

I agree and Voter ID Laws - Vote.org should have the answers for anybody seeking to vote.

17. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Let's not forget, the US was founded for the benefit of rich, white, male, landowners.

Voter suppression has been part of the American fabric since day one.

Conservatives indeed.

18. Meliai

Meliai Banned

For the reason listed in the OP. This largely affects native americans living on reservations

Tyrsonswood and MeAgain like this.
  19. Aerianne

I don't follow the logic implied.

Why would you not want to be accounted for?

20. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

So they shouldn't vote? Or, more on point with the topic of this thread, shouldn't be allowed to vote?