Support the Troops?

Discussion in 'Protest' started by skip, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Carlfloydfan

Carlfloydfan Travel lover

In recent years, in many studies, Spain is top 10 (ranging from #10-19) in the world in quailty of life, so it ranks ahead of many countries obviously. The USA is still in the Top 15 (usually ranging from #8-13) in the same studies. Some studies rank the USA ahead of Spain by as many as 11 spots, while other had Spain higher, by as many as 3 spots.

Some studies, showed the USA improving its QoL from 2005 to 2006 by two spots.

2. mandell

mandell Banned

Replying to Demonseed.

If the hippies of the 60's-70's rebelled and rejected what their parents stood for, and every generation does it, then it implies that the next generation after the hippies which would be (Gen X) rebelled and rejected peace, love.

Are you saying it's okay to reject love and peace just to be different from your parents? Hmmm.

A vivid example of this new "generation gap" was the last Woodstock anniversary festival, which was held 1999. This was supposed to re-create the spirit of Woodstock, in celebration of the 30th anniversay of the original event but unfortunately the occasion was marred by riots, rapes, greed and turned out to be everything that the original Woodstock spirit was not.

[​IMG]
    Woodstock 1999 riots

No offense to the younger members of this board, but it seems many of Gen X, Gen Y, including those who grew up in the 60's-70's have lost their way and still don't get it.

Fighting for peace is still like fucking for virginity.

3. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

Bet you could sell some t shirts with that slogan.

4. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Thanks for the stats. But I based my statement not on surveys but on the fact that I lived in Spain until 2005. I got to see first hand how that country has been modernizing. Spain now has a superior infrastructure to the US. Better roads for sure.

Spain has been able to leapfrog because most of their development has happened in the last 20 years. And since joining the EU, Spain's standard of living has become much closer to that of other EU countries whose standard of living is already HIGHER than the US. Spain still has the fastest growing economy of the EU, although some Eastern European countries like the Czech Republic are coming on fast.

The one drawback for Spain is that things have shot up in cost. It used to be a cheap country to visit, but not anymore. It's more like the rest of the EU now.

I predict in just a few more years countries like the Czech Republic will pass the US (just as I had predicted that all of the EU and Spain would do years ago).

Now, back on topic, please!

Here's the segue...

Spain managed to put MILLIONS of people on the street to protest the Iraq War. Where are the equivalent US protests? Spain is a country FULL of young activists ready for change. Why? Because they know they are the future and they want to have a say in what happens in their country AND the world.

5. Carlfloydfan

Carlfloydfan Travel lover

The protests had to do with the Madrid bombings more than anything. Their sudden urge to get soliders out of Iraq was a direct result of the Madrid bombings.. fear.

Anyways, What we saw in Washingon, with well over 100,000 is a nice start. I hope more people start to protest.

6. gardener

Homicides in Irag:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/27/AR2006082700770.html

7. skip

What are you basing that on? Some propaganda you heard? This is NOT TRUE.

Please get your facts right, because shit like this IS TOO IMPORTANT to let history be re-written!

Here's a list of antiwar protests in 2000-2005
    http://archive.indymedia.be/news/2003/02/49179.html

They were out in the streets WAY before the Madrid bombings.

They were on the streets BEFORE the US went into Iraq. Before Aznar lost his election, before Aznar committed ANY troops to Iraq.

In Feb. 2003, 2,000,000 people came out in Barcelona in just ONE DAY to protest the war in Iraq! Over six million in all of Spain!

8. gardener

March 15, 2003

more than 300,000 in Barcelona forming a mile-long human chain, and more than 120,000 in Madrid,

9. sentient

sentient Senior Member

Dude what are you rambling on about?
    Of course soldiers get paid otherwise they wouldnt fight - are you saying that the US Army - what are you saying exactly and succinctly I couldnt work it out - you seem to think soldiers shouldnt be paid
    ???? WTF ???? UH ??

No you seem to think soldiers should be ideologically motivated - well welcome to the real world dude - some people just want a job being a macho big guy who kills people

10. gardener

I think Skip is trying to counteract the present mentality that grants sainthood to all military personnel. He's pointing out that they are simply performing a job and getting well paid for it. Which indeed would classify them as mercenaries.

11. skip

I think my statement comparing soldiers to terrorists is quite clear.

12. sentient

sentient Senior Member

Mercenaries and soldiers arent idiots they know the score. A soldier would most likely laugh in your face if you tried to teach them any form of patriotic reason as to why theyre fighting - hence the farting noises you hear during speeches to soldiers when they are lined up and pompous dignitaries preach at them about morals. Mate they would laugh you off the planet for suggesting they are mercenaries too. They do the job while believing they are acting for the people of their country but in their own interests - its just a job and they get a roof over their heads they are paid professionals (the british army call themselves "the professionals")

I'd take on the police any day and kick a few to the ground but the army - ha I dont fancy that !

13. gardener

They may feel they are "supporting the good cause", just like the crusaders did, but fact is they get paid to do the bidding of someone who pays them for their services, so perhaps a closer analogy would be to say they are whoring/prostitutes(aren't they professionals also?.) Especially since no part of their lives are their own until they sever their terms of service, and while enlisted every move they make is monitored and managed by others. Professional consultants offer services and advice for a fee, they don't sell their entire lives most of the time.

14. gardener

I think I find prostitution a more admirable "profession" in that usually no one dies from the experience, neither victim nor "professional".

15. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

well that would be the case if it were legalized and sex workers could have health benefits to get them tested for and prevent the spread of STDs, and if they had some kind of guarantee of safety against abuse by their clients other than their pimps, which are often just as bad.

16. gardener

They do in Nevada and parts of Europe. What part of the world do soldiers receive those same sort of safe guards?

Not exactly Health benefits, because how many employees in the US receive Health benefits? The multinationals saw to the demise of employer paid for health care. But we all submit to drug screening for Walmart don't we.

17. ronald Macdonald

ronald Macdonald Banned

oh really???, aids victims would largely disagree, especially in african countries

18. gardener

Most AIDs victims in africa have never come in contact with a prostitute. Most are women and children. It's hard to pay for prostitution when you can't buy food to feed your family.

19. skip

Really, I don't understand why anyone would insult prostitutes by comparing them to mercenaries! Prostitutes provide pleasure for strangers. Mercenaries murder strangers. I see a difference here...

20. ronald Macdonald

ronald Macdonald Banned

Gardener is actually just saying anything he thinks might be funny or clever without thinking it through

In actual fact the entire workforce is prostituting itself - dont friggin moralise against soldiers when you yourself are as mercenary as they are. Mercenary simply means "works for money" merce = from the old french to mean seller or trader - its where we get the word "commerce"

You think your parents worked for their boss cuz they loved capitalism - get real we're all prostitutes if we work for capitalists

./