Support the Troops?

Discussion in 'Protest' started by skip, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Zoomie

Zoomie My mom is dead, ok?

I'd really like to know. My wife is a teacher at the high school level, heavily involved in the NCLB program (she works with special needs/non-standard students) and has never heard of this either. I don't like to throw around the term "urban legend".

This is kind of a moot point, military recruiters show up at every career day function at every public school anyway...

2. Zoomie

Never mind, found it myself.

But I don't see the difference, recruiters have always been high visibility at career day function. And as you would probably agree Skip, anyone with any awareness or conscience would avoid them.

But since there is:

a. no compulsory military service;
    b. either the student or parent or both can opt out of sharing their information;
    c. Congress and the Bush administration have failed to properly fund NCLB (even though it has been implemented);
    d. all the information the recruiters would recieve would have to be furnished to selective service anyway (and therefore readily available to the DoD), and;
    e. NCLB has been found on many fronts to be unconstitutional and will eventually be struck down as a whole;

the entire point is moot. W also wants us all to pray to Jesus, but that ain't happenin' either.

EDIT: And I'd just like to add in agreement with Kitty, if there isn't a grass roots organization set up to attend secondary school career day functions, specifically to show disadvantaged young people how to set up a business, even a web-based storefront, it is our DUTY to the youth of America and the future peace of the world to do it NOW.

3. YEM36313

YEM36313 Member

The bottom line is that the people who are in the army are doing a job, they are being lied to and they are are pawns...are they responsible for their situations? Maybe. But "we the people" are ultimately resposible for the democracy which we call our own, and if the baby boomers hadnt been so worn out after the 60s, maybe they would have not been "asleep at the wheel" for the last 30 years (Bob Weir's words, not mine)
    I think that the problem is the government, but who let it get that way??????? We need to take back our country and the long and short of the whole situation is that people have become complacent, comfortable, appathetic and scarred. So what now? Well, i guess things will have to get so bad, (which is where we are headed,) that people will be forced to do something about it because they are also suffering.

That is why people like us get so worked up; we see everyone's suffering and we realize that this is wrong. But many people are "out of sight, out of mind" kind of people, and changing yourself is hard enough, let alone changing others... there will come a day, mark my words. We the people, we will rise again. Give it some time, and keep on truckin.

I support my troops because there may actually be a time when we need their tactics and skills to defend our country. I am sorry that the people have let the government get so out of control that they are now abusing a precious resource...

4. Zoomie

Very well said.

5. Sylvian

Sylvian Member

I agree, your words ring true. I support the US troops, but I do not wish their presence (as I am sure most of them allso would agree on) on foreign soil. The problematics in the middle east can not be solved the way some politicians seem to believe (and the possible solutions that could be are far too long and numerous to be mentioned here). But, I wonder, what are your views on pulling the troops out of the countries they are currently in?

6. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

there are actually several. just had too much family stuff going on to hunt for the links. the american friends service committee leaps readily to mind.

7. kitty fabulous

here's a few, based on a quick google. i'll post what the anti-war center has when i cen get down there.

counter-recruitment resources:
    http://www.counter-recruitment.org/website/
    http://www.unitedforpeace.org/article.php?id=2873

CO resources & information:
    http://www.objector.org/

new hamshire afsc page with lots of great information:
    http://www.afsc.org/newengland/nh/finalafscyouth/nochildunrecruited.html

information on the uprise counter-recruiting tour, published by NYC indymedia in october:
    http://nyc.indymedia.org/or/2006/10/76847.html

american friends service committee:
    http://www.afsc.org/

military alternatives:
    http://www.unitedforpeace.org/article.php?id=2876

includes parent talking points and opt-out form:
    http://www.afn.org/~vetpeace/workshopa.htm

american friends service committee military alternatives page:
    http://www.afsc.org/youthmil/alternatives-to-the-military/default.htm

i'm having trouble finding a cohesive, centralized organization committed exclusively to counter-recruiting. the american friends service committee is the closest i can find. i'll ask at the peace center this afternoon & post what i find out.

8. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Why are there no protests at recruitment centers like there were in the 1960s? Where is the activism?

BTW, I'm REAL tired of ppl trying to BLAME my generation for all the shit happening today. Yes, many turned into Yuppies, however most of us had ecological awareness, many of us changed our lives in the 60s to have much less of an impact on the planet.

Communes, alternative lifestyles, alternative energy, health foods, alternative medicine, etc. were just SOME of the NEW ideas we tried out and integrated into our lives. We did a HELL OF A LOT. We weren't just anti-this and that, we were FOR a LOT of NEW IDEAS and actually put many of them into practice.

The problem was the NEXT generation, (Gen X) who were responsible for IGNORING & REJECTING everything the 60s stood for, and instead pursued their own selfish, reckless lifestyles that have taken, but not given anything back to this planet.

The attitude of Gen X is what LET THESE WARS HAPPEN. Gen X, only concerned about themselves, could care less about Iraqis, so long as they're making enough money to get a NEW SUV and Iphone.

In case you good ppl haven't noticed, there is a HUGE GAP in the age groups that come to this site. Gen X is barely represented here, and the few that do come here are often conservative trolls or spammers (yes many Gen Xers are conservatives). Gen Y is better, but most haven't got on board the bus yet. But Gen Z, those now in their teens and twenties are our last hope.

9. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

What happened to the privacy of the student. I find this abhorrent and an invasion of the student and their parents' rights. Next they will sell that information to credit card companies...they probably already do. We are no longer considered individuals but a market share.

10. kitty fabulous

11. kitty fabulous

I beg your pardon, Skip, but I happen to be a Gen X-er.

the problem isn't age or generations, it's dominant culture.

12. mandell

mandell Banned

Quick reply. I agree with Skip. The generations that grew up after the late 60's-70's, rejected the idealism of the hippies.

A good example is what happened during Woodstock 1999. Was that Gen-X or Gen-Y? I don't know. But the festival was supposed to re-create the spirit of the original Woodstock 1969 spirit of love, peace, music.

Instead, what came out from that generation's feeble attempt to re-create the original spirit of Woodstock 1969 was a demon of rapes, violence, greed and mayhem. Everything that the original Woodstock spirit was not. : (

But I really think, this subject is fit for another thread. Thanks.

13. mandell

mandell Banned

[​IMG]

So, I guess, the sentiment of the pro-war, pro-military types, is that, never mind that kids like this one in Iraq or elsewhere in the future will have to die and suffer, never mind that 100,000 or eve a million lives are lost on both sides, due to military misadventures, led by stupid, corrupt leaders as long as young, poor, Americans will get that chance to go to college using the G.I. Bill, or that Bubba "Rambo" can get that $100,000+/yr. salary working as a mercenary for Halliburton.

And these pro-war crowd, the "war-freaks" still wonder why they can't win this Iraq war.

14. Sylvian

Sylvian Member

Seems to me that the US, yet again, have stumbled into a foreign nation where the cost will be greater than the gains. Korea or Vietnam anyone?

15. Demonseed

Demonseed Member

Ya Skip I agree, I'm thinking about joining the army and I have no illusions about it I'm a fucking merc, If I truly believed in the war I would do it for free, but I won't cuz I know it's bullshit and I need all your hard earned tax money so I can hang out playing soldier games like catching bullets. I'm serious man I've been working my ass off for 8 years with little to show for it I'm a fucking slave, my only concrete chance to have a decent life is join the army dodge some bullets and be able to afford college. God this country fucking blows ass, oh and I forgot to add be able to afford to get the fuck out of here.

"The problem was the NEXT generation, (Gen X) who were responsible for IGNORING & REJECTING everything the 60s stood for, and instead pursued their own selfish, reckless lifestyles that have taken, but not given anything back to this planet." -Skip
    LOL,listen to yourself dude, your parents where saying the same thing about your generation LOL don't try to fight it, everybody does it eventually. Every civilization declines eventually too.

16. Sylvian

Sylvian Member

That is true. And a wise man once said that the US was the next Rome. So what you have to look forward to is orgies and vomitariums. Should be a blast...

17. Zoomie

Yeah but I'm not drinking the wine, and I'm not drinking the water from the aqueduct...

All that lead is what caused the first empire to fall.

18. Sylvian

Sylvian Member

That and the moral and social corruption...

19. skip

skip Founder Administrator

What caused the Roman empire to fall was the reliance on paid MERCENARIES to carry out their Imperial prerogatives. When the empire got too big, it cost it too much to keep hold of distant lands, and they lost control and the empire collapsed upon itself.

We are nearing that phase very quickly. Paying 100,000+ Mercenaries $100,000+ per year plus the PROFIT of companies like Blackwater who manage these mercenaries, in addition to the cost of 200,000 American soldiers, three aircraft carrier battlegroups and other attack groups on full alert for months on end, year after year.

As things get even MORE DANGEROUS in the area, the US will have to pay MORE AND MORE to keep mercenaries coming in doing their dirty work.

Eventually our treasure will run out and the American people will be BROKE. This is already happening with Real Estate and the US$ LOSING VALUE every day.

We become POORER, while the rest of the world passes us in standard of living (even SPAIN now has a higher standard of living than the USA).

Corporations are ripping off the American people over this war. The war itself was nothing but an excuse to plunder the American Treasury for the hard earned $ of the American people.

Our future is now very much in doubt. Will we even be able to collect our Social Security some day?

The American Empire is on the verge of collapse. And as we CONTINUE to support the WAR (the troops are irrelevant), we continue to hasten the day when our country goes broke and collapses.

BTW, Supporting the Troops = Supporting the War.

20. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

It used to be 'Give Peace a Chance'. Now it's 'Give The Surge a Chance'. :)