Support the troops?

Discussion in 'Protest' started by earthmother, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Jennasia

Jennasia Member

Then why are some people in here bashing the soldiers? This thread is called, "support the troops?"

2. earthmother

earthmother senior weirdo

Perhaps there is some hope. I see that the presidents approval rating is scraping the bottom of the barrel and that there are alot of high ups in the military threatening to quit and speaking out. THOSE are the ones to support! Things have gone nothing but downhill for this administration since I first started this thread. I am finding more and more stories of veterans, troops, generals, etc. who are sick and tired of the Bush bullys war. So, not everybody is brain dead...

3. catstevensfan924

catstevensfan924 Member

Let me first say I agree 110% that the war is highly uneccesary (understatement I know) and that a time for peace is long since overdue. But while we may not agree with the war or the actions of those in the war we must remember that sometimes they beleev they have no choice in the actions they do. Supporting the troops does not neccesarily mean supporting their actions but the supporting the people they were before they were sent away into conditions I hope most of us will never have to go through. I myself am torn on the subject between supporting the troops because of their suffering and not supporting them because of the death and suffering they bringto innocent people. This is a hard subject to write on and many people may not agree with me but I feel it is important that we show support to the people who suffer but not show support to the murder and slaughter they bring. Let me just finish with saying that I beleev it is time we took a bigger stand on stopping the war and brining home the troops so we may support the people they used to be.

-Colin

4. FightingFirst

FightingFirst Banned

I agree that the war is a mistake. But we should still support our troops. Its not the armed forces fault. There's a saying : Hate the coach but like the team. Just because you don't like Bush, that's no reason to stop supporting our boys over there.

5. Inquiring-Mind

Inquiring-Mind Senior Member

Why do we support and fund the army and the police with our tax dollars?

when in time of revolution they will oppress us and serve the upper class (elite class) not the people?

Most of you are saying don't support the war, support the troops but will
    the troops support you or shoot at you during a revolution? If you say no then you must be naive.

The troops are a bunch of leaches. We can protect our own Rights and Freedoms and in fact thier existence is a threat to our rights and freedoms.

6. FightingFirst

FightingFirst Banned

SHUT UP HIPPIES. When this "revolution" comes I'd wouldn't help you either

7. LickHERish

LickHERish Senior Member

Another example of rabid neocon hatemongering indoctrination surfaces to demonstrate his idea of national unity. Outstanding!

Must be one of those of supposed "Evangelical Christians" who skipped over everything Christ had to say about loving thy neighbour. Pat Robertson would be so proud!

8. FightingFirst

FightingFirst Banned

You goddamn hippies. Shut up. Your bashing people fighting for your right to protest them.

9. Inquiring-Mind

Is that best you have?

Lets say this revolution was against a fascist leader or class, you wouldn't
    support it?

Would you want this leader and class to have the army and police under his/thier command, power, and ready for disposal? The army exists not protect us but to protect powerful interests. When our Rights and Freedoms are truly endangered only the people can protect them not the army that serves the wealthy, corporate, and power class.

10. Inquiring-Mind

lol, what right?

11. FightingFirst

FightingFirst Banned

The army does not serve the upper class. They take an oath to protect the constitution. Arent they in Iraq protecting the oil equipment so you can drive you peace vans.

The first amendment of the Constitution of the United States.

12. LickHERish

LickHERish Senior Member

Such youthful naivete and blind faith in mere slogans and rhetoric. Further evidence that a mind truly is a terrible thing to waste!

13. Zoomie

Zoomie My mom is dead, ok?

Apparently some of you know nothing about the military. While it is true, that while commanded by the President they will do his bidding and protect whatever interests he finds suitable (within the limits of the War Powers Act) and also true that the military is now and has always been top heavy with elitist assholes, it is every soldier, sailor, airman and marine's duty to disobey an order that he or she finds to be unlawful. An order does not have to BE unlawful, simply percieved as unlawful. That is drilled into everyone's head along with the Geneva Convention and Rules of Engagement from day one. Technically, every person in uniform currently deployed in Iraq could put down their weapon and walk away because this war is not legal. Of course, if the Iraqis didn't kill them on sight (battle dress uniform - weapon = corpse) the department of defense would likely imprison them for life on grounds of desertion since George W. Shitforbrains ordered them there.

Another bit of unfortunate truth is that if the guardies at Kent State or the Marines at My Lai had taken the time to question whether or not some orders were lawful, we'd have two less reasons to hate people in uniform. And don't kid yourselves, we hate people in uniforms. I know, I was one for 13 years so I have a view from both sides of the fence. And yeah, I find most of them to be politically conservative, hateful, warmongering, elitist buckets of filth.

14. Zoomie

Zoomie My mom is dead, ok?

PS- but they don't deserve to die for doing what W. tells them to do. As commander in chief, he's the one who gets to decide what is lawful and what isn't.

15. Justwow

Justwow Banned

People who hate the troops because of what happend at Mi Lai and Kent State are blinded by leftist propaganda. The left took those two tragedies and made them an argument against the military as a whole.

Many of the troops in Vietnam were just as outraged at Mi Lai, and still were proud to serve.

And dont forget some of those protesters at Kent State burned a building down! Now, I'm not saying those four people deserved to die. Quite the opposite! The protesters conducted themselves in a manner that invited a tragedy! It was not the fault of the troops that those people died, it was the fault of the protesters themselves.

16. LickHERish

LickHERish Senior Member

Still as braindead as ever JustWow, Bravo. Another shining example of the power of misinformation on the impressionable young mind.

17. Inquiring-Mind

This supports my argument, the army exists to protect the wealthy and powerful
    not the common man and his rights and freedoms. Those drones (soldiers) are down there protecting corporate oil and profits.

If these drones did not exist the wealthy and powerful will have no one to do thier dirty work and the nation could be energy independent by now. Also free from mad ass oil prices.

18. Inquiring-Mind

Property is greater than lives?

19. Inquiring-Mind

Soldiers don't think, they just follow orders. The average intelligence of a solider is lower than sheep. Most soldiers don't even know the constitution, and what is lawful and what is not. They are like a bunch of well trained dogs. You tell them to shoot they will, you tell them to sit they will, you tell them to go die for thier nation they will, you tell them to jump they will, you tell them not to think they will.

20. ckalaska

ckalaska Member

You all just don’t get it! In your unrealistic world you all can live in piece and harmony and be at one with nature and call on the spirits of our ancestors or what ever B.S. ideas you have.

I am a former veteran of the Air force and the Army. I am by far a brain washed former solider who wanted to kill anything that opened up in my sights. I am old fashioned I guess. I’m a patriot and I love my country and I will defend it even if that would mean the sacrifice of my life. I do this not only for my country but for my wife and children and even you. Without people like me willing to defend people like you, you would not be able to even voice your opinion in this forum.

What if you were in Hussein's former dictatorship and voiced your opinion here? By now you would have been tortured, your tongue would have been ripped from your mouth and if female, rapped and buried in an unmarked grave. If that is your idea of freedom them I feel very sorry for you.

“And I do NOT understand those who sign UP for the military. Anyone I've ever met who has decided to join the military, seems to think that somehow they are doing good.... but killing others, and risking their OWN lives isn't worth ANYTHING--- They also make the decision to put their lives on the line, without realizing what a powerful, traumatizing situation they may be putting themselves in.”
    Apples+Oranjes

Would you not sacrifice your life for those you love? Even with the knowledge that I know how much you disdain me and my service to my country if your were drowning I would put myself at risk to save you. Why, because it would be the right thing to do.

I served in combat positions and in a special operations unit. I was also a combat medic. I was well aware of the risks I was taken for my own personnel safety. But I volunteered with that knowledge. Though I knew President Carter was the one of the worst presidents ever to hold office I worked with the Secret Service to help protect him and would have giving my life to do so. Why? Because it is the right thing to do. I would have even done it with the disgraceful President Clinton.

How would the world be if all had your sad outlook on life. You certainly would not have the freedoms you now enjoy but take for granted.

Here’s another thing to piss you all off. I’m a born-again Christian.

God Bless America