Super Furry Animals

Discussion in 'UK Music Forum' started by bokonon, Jun 1, 2004.

1. bokonon

bokonon Senior Member

How they aren't the biggest band in Britain today I'll never know. They are certainly derserving. I think apart from hearing their funny name, first I knew of their music was when the "Demons" single from "Radiator" was released. But with the release of "Fire In My Heart" and "Northern Lites" from "Guerilla" I was sure they were gonna be massive!

Then they released "Mwng" featuring all Welsh lyrics. I just got it the other day and it's fantastic! But obvisouly it was never gonna be a big winner with the record buying public.

Now with "Rings Around The World" and "Phantom Power" they seem to have entered a new stage. Certainly a more accessable stage. I would expect, as it's just my way I guess, that these albums would be so similar to older works I tune right out. But despite the fact they are I'm still listening, which says a lot in my musical world!

So yeah, just how well received are the Furries? Do they have fans I just don't see - Do you like 'em? :)

2. Spyder

Spyder La dah de dah

yeah there excellent, very much a loved band in wales!

3. bokonon

bokonon Senior Member

:) Glad to hear it. So what is it you like about them? And if you had to pick a favourite album which would it be? The changes from album to album are so subtle yet so huge it's hard to figure out the deal with these guys.

Personally I think they can create some great drama in their music, which takes me more toward the 'Rings Around The World' but they're still pretty rockin! Which makes me want to choose 'Radiator'.

4. Spyder

Spyder La dah de dah

i cant say i've heard that much, they were just big here, because they started with the welsh language songs, much the same way that gorkys zygotic mynci did...who im more of a fan of

5. Hippie_Girl

Hippie_Girl Innit!

Ello
    I have listened to my fair share of super Furry Animals albums and I think that this band is GRAND!!!! Mwng is their English/Welsh language album and it is one of the best :) I like them very muchly :) I love their last album too there are some great lyrics in the songs on it ... such as...

You're a Minger, and i'm a minger tooo.
    Hey Minger I want to Ming with you.

CLASS!!!!

6. Iago

Iago Member

They are a well established act and very popular in today's so called alternative scene, and they certainly have had the singles which would land them very much in the hearts and minds of mainstream commercial listeners. But why not? Who knows. It doesn't stop them being a very good band.
    Something I have noticed with the furries, standing there last year watching them I was thinking. Could this be the pink floyd of my generation? This lightly experiemental paranoid-ridden lyrical bunch of tight musicians, the two frontmen even look like roger and david! All we have to do is see some rock opera coming out of them in the next few years! Answers on a postcard...

7. greasytuesday

greasytuesday Member

I think they're awesome too, everything about them; they've got some great ideas. I really wanna get rings around the world, I remember they played the whole thing on MTV2 aaages ago but I didn't know them well enough to sit through it, but what I saw I liked alot. Since then my mate's burned mwng for me and I think that albums amazing!