Summer camp and travel

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Emma Srsly, Jan 19, 2021.

1. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Florida might be nice, though they have a hurricane season. You might want to see New York City, or even Washington D.C. too. :) Just something to think about.

For real fun in the sun, Manhattan Beach is only "ok". I used to go there to a stretch of sand called El Porto that has a nice little beach-break for surfing. Santa Monica too is really cool (hint: Santa Monica might be where to go). Santa Barbara is nice too - a little bit upscale but within reason, but it's not as warm as LA beach areas. These are all in California.

Oh yeah. Arcata, CA is worth mentioning, but not as warm - it's up near Humboldt State University in the northern realm of the state of California. It's sooo hip... :sunglasses: Very small, but just chock full of charm! It's worth a day or two.

Emma Srsly likes this.
  2. Emma Srsly

Emma Srsly Members

Cool, thank you. I have family that live in florida half the year so they might be there in Sep... Not sure though. Don't know much about santa Monica... Will have a look. ☺

soulcompromise likes this.
  3. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

cool

4. Barry Mandelay

Barry Mandelay Banned

Emma, thirty days isn't enough but it's a start. To begin with after your camp duties are over you could head in any direction and find a plethora of adventures. Straight south is Iowa where the movies "Field of Dreams" and "Bridges Over Madison County" were filmed. Both the baseball field and the bridges are still there as well as the Gothic House which is the house in the background of the Norman Rockwell painting with the man holding the pitchfork along with his wife posing. Then south of there is Missouri and Mark Twain country, the birthplace of Walt Disney, and the famous Arch in St. Louis. Going further south is Memphis and Mississippi - Elvis Presley land. Then you come to New Orleans. Louisiana the Big Easy 24/7 party town. Going west is the sunflower fields of the Dakotas, the Badlands, Black Hills, and Mt Rushmore. Colorado can take all of your 30 days to explore it with it's adventures. Then there's Wyoming with Yellowstone and Teton NP's. Utah's Great Salt Lake and the Mormon Tabernacle plus the north rim of the Grand Canyon and 5 other NP's that are amazing. You've learned about California from others but going south from Utah into the Arizona desert brings a fascinating look at wilderness. And you can't leave out the Land of Enchantment, New Mexico or all of the "Everything's Bigger in" Texas. I've got you 4 to 6 months of travel and haven't hit the eastern half of this place I call home. So you see you have a lot to look forward too and welcome to the USA.

5. Emma Srsly

Emma Srsly Members

Wow... I need to live there. Hopefully one day I will.
    Thank you @Barry Mandelay

6. Upnorthguy

Upnorthguy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Curious as to where or what lake. I live here in MN and know many, many of the lakes. I don't camp much, but have been to many of the lakes as I'm an avid outdoorsman.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  7. Emma Srsly

Emma Srsly Members

Clearwater