Suicides skyrocket near the holidays

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by 6-eyed shaman, Dec 23, 2018.

1. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

If you know anyone spending Christmas alone this year. Or anyone who is having it rough right now. Please reach out to them and show some love and support.

Someone I know just offed himself. He wasn’t close to me in my life. But his passing has created a ripple effect on everyone around him, including myself.

Suicide prevention lines alone don’t do the job.

2. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Xmas Is A Very Emotional Time.......A Friend Of Mine Who Is A Jail Warder Told Me That On Xmas

Day It Wasn't Unusual To See A "Hardened Criminal" Sitting In His Cell Crying.......

I Know Myself...... Being Single ..... I Experience A Whole Range Of Emotions.......Tis Indeed A Complex

Season......:confused2:

Cheers Glen.

EloiseAtThePlaza and Irminsul like this.
  3. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Ugh, not me

Booked my holidays a couple months ago.
    Organized to get back to Sydney last weekend so I was home for Xmas.

Fuck knows why, I was in Malaysia last leg, really wish I'd stayed there another week and a half.

Family is sooooo overated.

The only reason I did it this way was because of my nephew, screw all the rest of them

4. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

a couple years ago i spent several hours on the highway sitting in a traffic jam on christmas eve because someone jumped in front of a semi not long before i tried to go through.

i really don't have anything to add to the thread, that was just my example of the time i saw the thread premise ring true.

5. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Sorry to hear that 6.

You are right. More then a stranger on a hot line the people close need to step up. Good chance they will see the depression or even hear plans being made.

6. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

For some it's the weight of realizin' how alone we are on the holidays. I spent all afternoon yesterday wrappin' gifts to Xmas music & watchin' some youngin' run around playin'. Reminded me of those happy family Christmases when my parents & I would sit there enjoying the fire, the cocoa, gifts, & each other. The boy reminded me of my son who I'll likely never get to share another Xmas with in this life. Anyway just keep those less fortunate in your thoughts friends.

GLENGLEN, scratcho, Meliai and 2 others like this.
  7. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Psshh who needs a holiday to wanna off themselves.

8. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Well I don't have any Xmas plans or obligations tomorrow, so if anyone on here is lonely and sad I am available for conversations : )

9. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

This is a long perpetuated myth--rates are actually lowest in December. Suicide rates rise in the spring months.

Not that that makes it any less of an issue at any time of year. If a loved one expresses a wish to die, starts displaying erratic or uncharacteristic behavior, is isolating themselves or not taking care of themselves, talk to them about it. Don't be afraid to say something.

EloiseAtThePlaza likes this.