Success or failure, Twitter at the hands of Elon Musk

Discussion in 'Question of the Week!' started by ~Zen~, Oct 30, 2022.

1. GeorgiaRhythm

GeorgiaRhythm Members

Who really cares? It's like anything else. It will eventually pass away as will Facebook. Remember MY Space? Remember all those bookmarking sites? Friendster?

Toker and ~Zen~ like this.
  2. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

A former Executive view:
    Twitter co-founder and ex-CEO Jack Dorsey

upload_2022-11-6_13-4-19.jpeg
    has addressed the mass sackings at his former firm "I own the responsibility for why everyone is in this situation: I grew the company size too quickly. I apologize for that."
    • The company's workforce as the firm is losing more than $4m (£3.5m) a day.
    Jack Dorsey: Twitter co-founder breaks silence on Elon Musk takeover

Toker likes this.
  3. WOLF ANGEL

~Zen~ likes this.
  4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Yeah, no shit.

~Zen~ likes this.
  5. Candy Gal

Candy Gal Lifetime Supporter

I don't even belong to Twitter.
    It will go on regardless of who owns it.
    I have read good and bad press about Elon Musk.
    The media do their utmost to manipulate us anyway.

~Zen~ and Todd56 like this.
  6. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

He is just mad he couldnt back out of buying it so he is making it as hard as possible for everyone there!

~Zen~ likes this.
  7. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

Ahh, but you have to read Wil Wheaton's amazing take-down of a man in mid-lfe crisis...
    Wil Wheaton
    I can not fathom the emptiness, the insecurity, the insatiable need for attention and validation, the staggering arrogance, the malevolence and total void of human experience that is Elon Musk.
    He's the richest man on the planet. You can't go anywhere or do anything without interacting with something he's part of in some way. There are literal millions of people who uncritically worship him, in spite of overwhelming evidence that he's a douchebag. Some number of them will come after me, as they come after anyone who points at their naked emperor. They'll spend entire days going after me and people like me, slavishly serving a man who does not even know they exist. They are his army of fools, uncritically serving his every whim. And it still isn't enough.
    He can have any material thing he wants, and he will *never* be happy or satisfied. He has no real friends. Every single person around him is either a viper, a parasite, or both.
    So what does he do? He bullies and threatens and harasses and trolls and behaves like the weak, scared, insecure child he has always been. That's a tragedy for him, but it's dangerous for us. He doesn't care what he destroys or who he hurts as he chases this existential thing he can not ever have.
    You know the saying "hurt people hurt people"? He's a hurt person who is hurting our society, making people I care about less safe. The consequences of this one man's midlife crisis are global, and that terrifies me.

scratcho, Toker, DrRainbow and 2 others like this.
  8. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

Next step, one which moderators everywhere are interested in seeing... mainly to see what happens next!!!

Elon Musk to launch new blue, gold and grey Twitter ticks

Twitter’s new owner said the platform would launch a new verification service next Friday, having pulled an earlier attempt at a revamp this month after it triggered a flood of impostor accounts.

Musk said verified accounts would carry a blue tick – or checkmark – for individuals, a grey tick for “government” and a gold tick for companies. The Tesla chief executive did not specify whether the government tick would apply also to state departments or state-owned entities.

DrRainbow likes this.
  9. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Blue = $8

Gold = $10

Grey = $12

Probably...

DrRainbow likes this.
  10. Twogigahz

Twogigahz Senior Member

3 new ticks. One for each software engineer that remains at Twitter.

Toker and DrRainbow like this.
  11. WOLF ANGEL

12. Toker

Toker Lifetime Supporter

Oh, he's just begging for trouble. He's let back MTG already. It's fun watching a novice destroy a great creation. Car crash in slow mo...

Twitter, the ultimate troll site.:fearscream:
    Oh and the three tick marks... You mean Twitter finally heard about usergroups??? :cool:

Sagewynd, hotwater and DrRainbow like this.
  13. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Really Number # 1 priority

[​IMG]

Toker and DrRainbow like this.
  14. DrRainbow

DrRainbow Ambassador of Love

I hope they drink coffee.

15. Toker

Toker Lifetime Supporter

Musk has declared war on Apple over them pulling their ads from Twitter, as many other companies have done.

Apple makes up 4% of Twitters revenue, and they may also be considering pulling the app from their App store.

Elon has continued to alienate his advertisers with his aggressive changes to the platform. Now he's losing million$ everyday.

Any bets on how long Twitter will survive?

16. Josephinelcajon

Josephinelcajon Joseph

We need true freedom of speech regardless of what's being said!

17. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Freedom of Speech is a technical term referring to Governmental Censorship. Nothing more.
    Only your government can limit your Freedom of Speech like they do other freedoms.

You can post in a million places, so if one non-governmental place censors or bans, your freedom hasn't really been limited.

Corporations are private entities, in fact the US Supreme Court claims they have the rights of people, which means they get "freedom of speech". Which means they can say whatever they want OR NOT! So they are under no obligation to allow people to speak freely about anything.

So if Elon wants Twitter to be a Right-wing Cesspool of human excrement, he's perfectly in his rights as a private citizen and the owner of a company.

If we want to turn Hip Forums into a Left Wing social network that excludes rightwingnuts, we are within our rights and we are not abridging their freedom to speak cause they can go to twitter and tweet their hearts out, or any of the hundreds of right wing sites that exist only to propagandize the ignorant.

Tyrsonswood and DrRainbow like this.
  18. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I hope it goes toes up!:D

Tyrsonswood and DrRainbow like this.
  19. skip

skip Founder Administrator

I actually enjoyed OLD TWITTER. But it's becoming something else deplorable (to quote Hillary).
    For the latest news it's unbeatable because news often happens on Twitter itself.
    Journalists and corporations use Twitter to reach a big audience.
    Now if they just stuck to that, and maybe have a different app for social networking among nobodies, maybe they'd be worth saving.
    But the mix of pure B.S., Bots, Nazis, assholes, etc. is very toxic for those who have real reputations to protect, including companies.

Time is right for some startup to steal the journalists and corporations so they don't have to worry about some rightwing assholes spontaneous whims.

I do like how so many news sources are able to embed the twitter posts in their stories, that is the ace in the hole for twitter.

20. FritzDaKatx2

FritzDaKatx2 Vinegar Taster

Well,,, I tweeted to UNESCO that in the event twittler becomes a casualty of corporate collapse that they should step in and declare twitter to be the first virtual unesco heritage site, I'm at least hoping someone has a similar backup plan to keep the app itself functional.

~Zen~ likes this.