stupid people

Discussion in 'The Environment' started by people_lovr, May 14, 2004.

1. people_lovr

people_lovr Member

Just a little rant here. I hate it when you go to the store and buy 1 little thing, like dishsoap , or a cd and they insist on giving you a bag. You're like "no, thanks i don't need a bag" and they just give it to you anyway. Why don't people think. Why do so many people waste unnecessarily????
    Drives me nuts.
    I get so mad inside, i want to go off on them with some big spiel(spelling?) about how every little thing can help, but i just keep my mouth shut and ponder how people can be so dumb!!! :confused:
    Anyway, to those of you out there with 2 hands and even those with 1, think about the environment next time you walk out of the store with a bag full of a video game.
    And to those of you that say "no thanks", Keep it up!!!!! :D
    (sorry, this just happened to me and i had to rant somewhere. Thanks for listening)

Peace ya'll

2. Indriel

Indriel Member

Hi,
    Yeah, I see that happening all the time & it's maddening! Like they think you can't carry a bottle of milk home - you have to have a bag! If I go to the supermarket now I take my own cloth bag & many of the supermarkets here do sell them - envirobags - which is really encouraging, because we can do without those plastic things.

3. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

Well, one time I went to Wild Oats to get some sushi because I was going to take it to the park. The girl asked me if I need a bag and I said yes, and she said, "well, you only have one thing, you don't need it," and took the back from me! Then I had to stick it in my purse because I was carrying the baby and it squished it, and after we ate it, we didn't have anything to throw it away in. I thought that was kind of mean. :(

I don't get a bag if I don't need one, and I always take my big purse to the grocery store....but I needed a damn bag. I haven't been back since. :(

4. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

if they ignored my wish, i would have simply removed the bag and left it on the counter.

5. SweeperOfDreams13

SweeperOfDreams13 Member

I buy a packet of gum... they give me a bag.
    it's annoying.

6. Bug_Man

Bug_Man Banned

No big deal. I just through my bags in the burn- barrel and do away with it!

7. people_lovr

people_lovr Member

i was just thinking about how ironic it is that my name is people_lovr & the title of my thread is "stupid people"!!! [​IMG]
    I was a little peaved at the time. Anyway, People rock! ...and everyone is the way they are for a reason. hehe

8. honeyhannah

honeyhannah herbuhslovuh

Actually that has never happened to me.

They always ask me if I want a bag and I say no.

But really I just thought about it, if they're already there they're gonna be used by someone. They should just stop making the damn things.

9. ericf

ericf Member

If I don't want a bag I get real proactive about it. I state the fact, show my backpack (if I have it) to them, and start picking up my items as soon as possible.

I usually walk down to my local foodstore and they know I rarely want a bag. I have never heard of someone not giving a person a bag if they wanted one... that is messed up.

10. people_lovr

people_lovr Member

it's only happened to me a few times, but i just don't understand it.
    It usually happens because i initially forget to tell them that i don't need a bag, so they put my stuff in the bag, then i'm like "oh i don't need a bag" so they hand it to me in the bag and say "oh i already put it in there".
    And i don't want to be rude and hand it back and say"no i really don't want a bag"
    I like to be the nice customer that smiles and helps to brighten the persons day. I don't think if i said something at that point it would necessarily be very pleasant 'cause i get so ticked, so i just except and walk out fuming inside.
    I know i should always just tell them from the beginning, but i can't help that i'm a space cadet sometimes ( [​IMG] "i don't know what's goin' on")
    ~anyways

peace ya'll

11. ohjinn

ohjinn Member

i feel your frustration. i have this problem all the time. and for some reason there are cashiers who seem to get offended when you stop them from putting your one item in a bag. i worked in a grocery store for a few months and you wouldn't believe how much plastic gets wasted. like if 2 bags rip off the stack instead of one, the extra usually goes right in the trash. there must've been over a hundred bags- unused- getting dumped every day. and that's one tiny grocery store. it's totally disgusting. i was constantly fishing unused bags out of the wastebaskets by everyone's register. i have a few big canvas bags i try to remember when i shop, but forget them more often then not. stil, i always rush to bag my own food, if i go on a big shopping trip. otherwise i come home with 15 bags instead of 5, with everything double bagged or 3 items in one bag. i really wish more people were concious of the effect they have on the environment by just that one action.

12. HappyHaHaGirl

Yeah...well, the Wild Oats people here are kind of snotty. I feel so intimidated when I go in there because I don't get all my water from catching rain in buckets or grow my own food or survive without electricity and I'm not a hardcore vegan. I think it's cool if you can do all that, but I hate feeling stupid if I don't or can't....so I just don't go there anymore. I think I might open my own heath food store. It would be fun. :)

13. Dolphin~Rider

Dolphin~Rider Member

Don't let those mean people intimidate you! Go if you want to and to heck with them! I just hate when people try to act all superior when they don't walk in your shoes or live your life. I'd go back everyday to that same cashier just because he/she was so rude and I'd smile and make them crazy! LOL.:p

14. HappyHaHaGirl

Yeah! And ask for like five extra bags! Or just take them! I'm going wage war on Wild Oats!! Thank you, Dolphin, for your support.... Hell hath no fury like me on a good day...

And today is a bad day.....

15. Dilapidated

Dilapidated Member

Wal-Mart (at least the one here) is especially bad about bag-giving. I bought Starburst once, STARBURST, and I got it in this "cute" little nasty blue bag. :( People suck.

16. themnax

themnax Senior Member

diversity of intelligence is a reality any sustainable culture must deal with in order to be. while we are NOT inheirently inclined toward evil, diversity of intelligence IS an absolute reality that has to be taken into account and delt with. i'm not smart enough to have all the details of how to do this. but sustainable cultures have existed, and i have every confidence that sustainable tecnologicly advanced cultures can and will. comfort zone is not itself the enimy. the aggressivenly thoughtless way in which we gratify it, in combination with our excessive numbers (in proportion to our nonhuman neighbors in our environment) as a species, is. scapegoating the existence of ignorance, however stressful, annoying and unsettling it may be, solves no more then scapegoating tecnology itself, which granted the more powerful your tecnology the greater the risks from missusing it. no tecnologia is any sort of magical panacea, but no tecnology ever made anyone do anything either. the individual incentives created collectively by our real, often hidden from ourselves, individual priorites, is the only thing that does that, and THAT statisticly rather then as individuals. but our subconscous priorities are influenced by our mythologies, that is what traditional story tellers in indiginous societies were all about. and our ambient cultural values, without having to be understood by the simpler minded among us, guide the way we live, which produces the consiquences of our doing so, both individualy, and for all of us.

17. HappyHaHaGirl

That hurt my brain, mnax....geez... why don't you think about other people sometimes!!!????!!! :D

18. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

I keep a small plastic bag rolled up in my glovebox or camera bag. If I need to make a "surprise" stop, I take it in and bag my own.
    I also use cloth and mesh bags, and a cooler since the large grocery is 40 miles away, and I grab them as I leave the house. They hang in the cupboard.
    I also have trained the cashiers at my corner market that I am saving the family who owns it money by using my own bag.
    At Wild Oats or a King Soopers/Safeway/etc I would ask for a 5 cent bag credit.
    I will take the item out and leave the bag.
    which town are you in people lovr?

19. Dizzy Man

Dizzy Man Member

This pisses me off too!!!

I'll walk up to the counter with a tiny little packet of something, and a great big massive bag in the other hand that could easily fit 100 of them in. And they'll still put it in a bag.

And what's annoying is that whenever I take it back out of the bag and leave the bag on the counter, they look at me like I'm crazy. Yeah — like I'm the one who's crazy!

20. people_lovr

people_lovr Member

that's exactly what i'm talking about. I just can't believe people seem to spend so much time thinking, but why the hell haven't they figured out that little things are what's gonna make the difference?
    "if you wanna make a difference nigga, start from your corner" ~OUTKAST
    eerrrr :mad:
    Crazy people!
    I do try to bring a canvas bag to the store when i grocery shop, but it's just like those little last minute things. Putting a plastic bag in my glovebox is a great idea though. I'll prolly forget when i go in, but hopefully i'll get used to it. I forget my canvas bag quite a bit. Maybe i should just leave it in my trunk or something.Ok i'm rambling. ~anyway point being, I Try.
    Peace ya'll