Stupid hard hats

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by Fixes_big_yellow_things, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Fixes_big_yellow_things

Fixes_big_yellow_things Members

Ah the hard hat....A questionably useful safety item anywhere there isn't a risk of overhead falling items, and equally hated by workers everywhere.

Apperently I caused a flap at my new employer because their colour coded one size fits all hard hats are verry much too small for my big noggin.
    And you can't have one of the worker peons stand out by having a different hat than every one else. every one else will want different hard hats too.

No no no, It will ruin the rank and file colour scheme, God forbid it!

2. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Hard hats are probably one of those things that are only fun to wear if you don't have to.

3. Fixes_big_yellow_things

Yep, my 7 year old son think they are the coolest thing ever. Puts one on, and then plays in the back yard sandbox with his toy trucks wearing it.

LetLovinTakeHold likes this.
  4. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

I enjoyed my time in one.

So what's going to happen? Do you just have to wear a too-small hat? What's the solution?

5. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I've been on ROOFING JOBS that required a hard hat! If whatever could come from the sky hit me--I seriously doubt a helmet would help.

Running Horse and RetiredHippie like this.
  6. Fixes_big_yellow_things

Meh, they'll figure something out, they need me. I'm liscenced to do the government comercial vehicle inspections required to register their trucks.

If not, on to the next place. Lots of work for heavy duty mechanics up here. Ive had 3 other job offers in the last week.
    Other places pay better, but they have the best working hours and a strong benefits package, RRSP matching, 80% drug and dental, 100% vision etc. (Im in Canada..so i don't need medical insurance, and RRSP = canadian 401k)

7. RetiredHippie

RetiredHippie Hick

I’ve walloped my head on things more with a hard hat than not. OK, someone drops a cement block from 4 stories up. It smacks you on the head. Just think how good your head will look after the block drives it through your ass.

8. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

9. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

I wear one every day. I hated it at first, but after smacking the hardhat against a few beams really hard it made me grateful to have them

Asmodean and scratcho like this.
  10. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i've been glad for them the few times i've worked places where i needed and required them.
    can't say as i've ever worked any place that required them where there wasn't a chance of something landing on it though.

in general i don't like hats of any kind. period. even the paper hats they make you wear in kitchens.
    i wear straw hats now in the heat of summer, that i've become an old fart and have to consider heat stroke.

when there's enough of a breeze and enough shade, even those are more trouble then their worth.

got a laugh out of the hard hat on a roof, but air nailers can ricoshea, for one thing, and then the guy on the ground passing up the shingles or whatever.
    but yah, anything falling out of an airplane or from orbit, i don't think the hat would do much good, for the wearer or the roof either.

(maybe they thought if you fell off the roof you'd land on your head, with the hat still miraculously somehow still in place?)

scratcho likes this.
  11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

There is a good Seinfeld stand up about the hard hat at I think the ending scene of an episode. It's pretty funny, but I can't find it... and I really couldn't be typing it...

12. sandybrooke

sandybrooke Members

Bump caps, that's all they are. Good for keeping your head dry when it rains.
    Did you know they have expiration dates on them?? I had to get a new one last year!!

13. Rotten Willie

Rotten Willie Members

Same here.

14. Rotten Willie

Rotten Willie Members

Plus you don't want to have to ShAkE haNDs WiTH DAnGER!