Stuff to avoid and check out this summer

Discussion in 'Events and Festivals' started by jahpiper, Jan 24, 2005.

1. headymoechick

headymoechick I have no idea

I third it!

2. PhluffHead 4

PhluffHead 4 Member

And your even going to see DMB!! That is sad. DMB is garbage. Some more festival tips would be nice.

3. lucyinthesky

lucyinthesky Tie Dyed Soul

Yeah man i hear you on that one......people on the forums bash bonnaroo hardcore, and it's scared me into not wanting to go. But last year i met some dude who went and he said it was something like he's never experienced before....it was his first year and he loved it...since hearing his story, i've been determined to get out there this summer...but everyone here is definitely scaring me into not going. I'll still probably go...i mean regardless of what's going on around me, it's not about them, it's about what i make of it, and i think i can do a pretty good job of havin fun....

4. imaflake

imaflake Member

Well, even though some have freaked me out, I think it will be great. For every bad report there has been at least five for the good side. Basically, I'm goin.... I am just a lil better prepared now. Hope to see all you guys there

5. Dead_Hed

Dead_Hed Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I don't get it... Why all the anger and hate towards 4 days in a field ?

Bonnaroo is what you make of it.. and the organizers provide the medium for you to make whatever you want of it.

"It's natural for us to fear the unknown.. so get out and find out"

6. lucyinthesky

lucyinthesky Tie Dyed Soul

yeah i agree with both of you. and i want to at least experience it once...so i'll be there. Hopefully i get to meet up with some of you there...:rolleyes:

7. PhluffHead 4

PhluffHead 4 Member

Im not hating on Bonnaroo, its a great festival to bring some good vibes together. I am just disappointed that the prices have skyrocketed and that they let DMB in the festival.

8. superNova

superNova Member

i wasn't "hating" either, it's just not my cup of tea. 3 hours to just walk to the stage? to see a band i adore play a 45 minute set to make way for dmb? in the heat? as people die around me? and i pay $59 for water? it's just not what i'm about. if you are, then you are! :)

9. Phsh Melt

Phsh Melt Member

I am going to roo this year and tho there were some folks I didn't appreciate (these were the people too fucked up to gather their trash instead of leaving them in a nice neat pile to clean up), I had a blast. It's an experience I recommend all people to do at least once and tho some folks say "Don't go," dont you people agree that it's going to get worse so if they are going to go...GO NOW! My girl has never been and tho I've gone, I want to help her have the best bonnaroo experience she can so I am going along with her and let me say there is nto a single band I havent seen before, and despite that...I AM STOKED. The weather is warm, you find cool people, and you make your own good time. I love that! Now for my own advice to add:

1) a Camel Pak is the greatest thing ever...water is expensive in Centeroo so the most you can bring on your own and carry on you is great...I take mine everywhere

2) trust your instincts...if you look at a drug and it doesnt look quite right or you dont feel good vibes from the dealer...walk away...there's so many drugs to go around, you're bound to find what you're looking for

3) Lock up your valuables...tho there are good folks arond, there are also some sketchy folks/scavengers....my friend left his watch in his tent (which was stupid) and it was stolen.

4) PREPARE FOR RAIN! I had to learn this the hard way. I didn't have anything and was cold and drenched....not the best thing...luckily i found some kind folks who gave me some warm dry clothes to wear.

5) Please clean up after yourselves! Most of the people cleaning up after you were showgoers. They were there for the music not your garbage so please put your trash in the trashbags given you....bring extra trashbags!

6) Pace yourself. There's a lot of bands to see and you may not get to see them all...just have a good time and relax

Hope that was helpful. Those going to roo...I'll see you there! :)

10. beatlerific

beatlerific not like other girls

you better go girllll... i already bought my ticket. it's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be.. i mean there was alot of trash and some losers... but that comes with EVERYDAY LIVING.
    you'll have fun. trust me :p

11. lildeadheadash

lildeadheadash Member

Haha I went to the roo last year and Dave was drunk, and stopped playing at 11pm, instead of 12. I was very angry and I am against Dave!
    Anyways Bonnaroo you think it's going to be easy, but with so many bands, being so far away from the main stage (cause you will be far out I reccomend leaving 2 days ahead of time now) it's really tough. The people that stayed next to me ended up never leaving there tent. They got so wasted they just hungout under their canopy the whole time. Don't give us shit cause we are trying to say Bonnaroo is going to be crappy, we just know how it is. We have done the Roo and know it's all about survival.

12. headymoechick

I hear ya sister!

13. Phsh Melt

Phsh Melt Member

I took a nap for Dave so I would be ready for the aftershows....i'm def going again this year b/c of Yonder, STS9, Keller, Gov't Mule, ect....and for the first time, going to check out bands and artists i've never heard of. Who knows, maybe I'll leave Bonnaroo being a fan of some one new....and in music I am always looking to expand so I'm really excited for this year...I'm sure it wont be as great as last year but it's not going to "suck"...it'll just be SLIGHTLY less fun then the year before. That's how it's been for me...but trust you me....it's fun level is still in the high zone! haha

14. mellimel19

mellimel19 Member

Wow, lots of Roo negativity around here. This year will be my 3rd Roo, and I can't wait!
    For those of you who are considering going but are getting scared by all the Roo bashing on these forums, I sincerely urge you to come! If you go to Roo with the frame of mind looking for a good time, that's exactly what you'll find. You'll meet lots of great people (and some jerks too, but they are EVERYWHERE, not just Bonnaroo), and be exposed to lots of great bands that you might otherwise never have heard of or seen.

And just to dispel a few of the negative rumors people have been spreading on these boards:

* There are not needles everywhere. In fact, I have YET to see ONE at Bonnaroo. I'm sure they are there, but they're not all over the floor as some people are saying. Most people walk around barefood and without incident for the weekend.

* No matter WHERE you are camped, it is NOT a 2-3 hour walk to the stages. That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard. The farthest campsites are about a 25 minute walk at a moderate pace. The only way it will take you 2-3 hours is if you are making many long stops along the way, or if you are so wasted that you are just walking in circles for 2 hours.

* No one plays 45 minute sets. The smallest most unknown acts get an hour and fifteen minutes.

* There are not kids falling and smashing their faces in all over the place after doing balloons. I'm sure it happens occasionally, but the way people make it sounds on here, it sounds more like a battleground of nitrous casualties. Not the case.

All that said, I've made lots of good friends at Bonnaroo, and I hope to see some of you there this year. :)

15. Phsh Melt

Phsh Melt Member

I can second some of that...I was literally in the fucking corner where we were camping and the walk wasnt bad at all....you're so excited for the bands u dont even notice the walk at all.

However that information about set times is slightly inaccurate...i believe the shortest sets were an hour (not a hour and 15) but it's so hot during the day that you want to walk around and check out other bands...i think the set lengths keep you interested in whats around you....I love bonnaroo...I'll see you folks there!

16. jahblazin

jahblazin Member

Any Wu folks going to the big reunion this year? I finished up with Phish in Coventry and want some positive vibes to fill the void. Any word on the Big Wu's fest?

17. headymoechick

as for the kids not smashing their face on balloons, ya'll must not have been up at 3-6 am when the tanks really start pumping There's always one or two kids per tank that end up hurting themselves for acting stupid. My advice? SIT DOWN!

Also be prepared to wait in line in your car. Remember to get enough supplies for an extra day or two just in case. Lines last year for the regular camping was up to 18 hours. Most people got there the day before just to be safe.

18. mimosa

mimosa Banned

keep checking www.thebigwu.com

It's not announced yet but looks like last year tickets went on sale March 10.
    so we should hear soon. Harmony Park is one of the best venues ever.

19. jahblazin

jahblazin Member

Thanks for the info Mimosa. I'll keep checking. You planning on going?

One more question, if you had to choose between summer camp and the reunion, which would you attend? Thanks again for the help.

20. plainjanepatchwork

plainjanepatchwork Member

Summercamp hands down. *~*~*~*~**~*~moe.*~*~*~**~ kicks ass.