Study: Marijuana potency Increases in 2007

Discussion in 'Cannabis Legal and Security Issues' started by pinkcarmie, Jun 12, 2008.

1. pinkcarmie

pinkcarmie Member

Ok, this stuff is pretty hard to hear since all the government wants to do is bash this natural god given plant...

I read online today an article about how much the potency has gone up since the 1970's...kind of cool in a way cuz my father used to tell me stories of how he used to get soooo high and that stuff was not nearly as good then as it is now...

Anyway, the analysis was done by the University of Mississippi's Potency Monitoring Project tracked the average amount of THC in samples seized by law enforcement agnecies from 1975 through 2007. It found that the average amount of THC reached 9.6 percent level more than doubling of marijuana potency since 1983, then it averaged at just under 4 percent.

The director of the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy, John Walters, stated that baby boomers (like my parents) have misguided notions that the drug contains weaker potency levels of the 1970's.

He goes on saying how it's as addictive as cocaine or heroine...while this Dr. from the State University of New York in Albany serves as an advisor for marijuana advocacy groups," Stronger cannabis leads to less inhaled smoke."

A report from the office last month found that a teenager who has been depressed in the past year was more than twice as likely to have used marijuana than teenagers who have not reported being depressed-25% compared with 12%. The study said marijuana use increased the reisk of developing mental disorders by 40%.

Dr. Nora Volkow, direcor from the National Institute of Drug Abuse said," The increases in marijuana potency are of concern since they increase the likelihood of acute toxicity, including mental impairment. Particularly worrisome is the possibility that the more potent THC might be more effective at triggering the changes in the brain that can lead to addiction."

There is no data showing that a higher potency in marijuana leads to more addiction, and marijuana's withdrawal symptoms are mild at best. Mild irritability, craving for marijuana and decreased appetite...caffeine has way worse withdrawal symptoms.

The project analyzed data on 62,797 cannabis samples, 1,302 hashish samples, and 468 hash oil samples obtained primarily from seizures by law enforecement agencies in 48 states since 1975.

People do what you want!! Who really cares?! I don't understand why the government is always interfering with what our choices are as individuals. They should leave the choice up to us. Marijuana is harmless...why else would they still be fighting about the subject?

-Carmen
    [​IMG]

2. Jointman69

Jointman69 High Nigga Pie

guess what my friend? it's bullshit. that's why you always have to read more than 1 study. They test low grade stuff most of the time.

if it was so shitty back then how come many of the strains of the 70's are still the most popular strains of today?

My personal study:

I smoked some really good shit one day. I walked by an older neighbor of mine and she said " That's how the weed used to smell back in the 70s". The shit i smoked was waaaaaaay better than the norm.

3. drew5147

drew5147 Dingledodie

Marijuana is not harmless.

4. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

weed is getting stronger because growing methods improve,

"chronic" was not even around until the early 90's

My friends dad was the same way, said he could handle the stuff today
    he had smoked some lower end with us, but then we gave him some chronic he took 2 hits and was out of his head. He would not leave his house because he said everyone would know he was high. And he smoked alot of the so called "good stuff" back in the day