Stuck in the past musically

Discussion in 'Music' started by Vanilla Gorilla, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I forgot about them soon. Songs have to be good too. Not that they absolutely stink but there's too much bands sounding better

2. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

Ariana Grande? Who woulda thought .... :p

3. Asmodean

Its probably the musical characteristics but themewise i would expect to have a fellow appreciator in black metal with VG

[​IMG]

4. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Greenday turned their music into a musical and brought it to our shores this year, I didnt go see it of course, but it did make me realise rock is well and truly dead

Only black metal remains

5. Asmodean

Haha i didn't mean the word musical like that.

90's black metal is best :D

Btw: If i would judge the general state of rock by Greenday i would be just as negative about it as you. Maybe even start listening to Arianna Grande lol (well that's a stretch)

6. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Why does every gay man I’ve ever known love Rhiana? Explain this to me.

7. MikeE

MikeE Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

[​IMG]

Asmodean likes this.
  8. Asmodean

[​IMG]

MikeE likes this.
  9. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

There's always Nickelback.

10. Asmodean

Or U2 lol

11. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

Still plenty of awesome rock out there.....

12. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

and these guys....

13. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

even the new generation of rock......

14. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

southern rock....

15. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

My favorite.....

here's a blast from the past....

16. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

LOLz, you have to think of the subconscious level.

No boobs, small toosh, short hair.

Well back in the day, photos on the internet last year of her at carnivale in barbados, looking like she'd finally gone through puberty, boobs and a healthy female backside. Hotwaters eyes probably popped out of his head. Me, I pulled that face, errrh, well her career is over, at least relegated to Aretha Franklin type appearances, full length dresses in front of the president or at the grammys or something.

All the divas over the last 40 years fall into one of two categories. Either Cher or Madonna and they really look like drag queens or Rihanna or Kylie Minogue and they look more like twinks.

Saying that out loud though is kind of mean.

Even Madonna, i think it took her 40 years to actually work that out

17. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

RJ gets it

18. Asmodean

Intriguing. And this becomes apparent and affect the sound of the music you like to listen to how? ;)

I know I got pissed when Metallica's members cut their hair but my excuse is that I was 12 years old :D

19. Alternative_Thinker

Alternative_Thinker Darth Mysterious

I think the real gems can often be found in the non-pop genres especially in this day and age, though, I really like Bjork who is typically in the "pop" category. But Bjork is so not your typical "pop" as far as I'm concerned. The problem with pop, especially today, is that it's "created" based on the same formula that makes everyone sound essentially the same, mixed way too loud because the "loudness war" is real(if Kate Perry's recordings are louder than those of Megadeth, then one has GOT TO wonder), compressed way too much to the point where the music doesn't sound all that alive any more, and the auto-tune gets used WAY too often. A friend of mine sent me a YouTube link a while ago to a song by a particular pop rock band, and I had a bit of a "face-palm" moment because it was so "pop", from the commercially formulated composition to the auto-tuned voice. Not a bad song, don't get me wrong! But it was just not, well, interesting.

Meanwhile, there are bands and artists outside the pop field who play music that blows people's minds with their creativity, unique sounds, high level of musicianship, and artistic statements. And I mean TODAY'S artists. In the metal field alone, we have bands like Animals As Leaders, Unleash The Archers, Ancient Bards, Ancestral Dawn, Conflux, Periphery, Whispered, the list goes on. As a whole, new talents like Grace VanderWaal are being discovered all the time(I really hope Grace sticks to her unique style because the pop formula can totally ruin the overall feel of what her music is all about). These are the kind of musicians who don't require stuff like auto-tune, because they've already got the musicianship part down. And these are the kind of artists who don't need the songwriting "formula" because they already have an idea of what their own music should sound like.

Asmodean likes this.