Stuck in the past musically

Discussion in 'Music' started by Vanilla Gorilla, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

I draw the line at Corelli. ;) Anything written before his birth in 1653 is a little too primitive for me.

2. Pete's Draggin'

Pete's Draggin' Visitor

Love the 80s
    Love the 90s
    I was in my teens
    And my 20s

For me being stuck in the past musically brought special memories with all those songs.

Hanging out with the guys
    Going out with the girls
    Having lots sex
    Smoking lots of shit
    Riding my GT
    Playing on the field
    Getting in lots of trouble
    Going to lots of concerts
    Motorcycle trips
    Working on cars
    Going to the bowling arcades
    Talking on the land line
    Watching tons of movies

From my 30s to Nowadays I don't listen to much newer age music.

Working on the house
    Working on projects
    Working on vehicles
    Working at work
    And Chilaxing......
    When the radio is on, its turned to 90s or anything older.

I still listen to my old CDs and cassette tapes. My ipod has all the 80s and 90s too.

So yes....I'm proud to say......
    My music is still stuck back n the day.....

3. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

2009, I have zero recollection of starting this thread

But 9 years on, yeah, dont really listen to anything pre 2007 anymore

Pete's Draggin' likes this.
  4. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I'm nearly 40 and listening to new music used to make me feel really awkward, like I was refusing to acknowledge that I was past my heyday. I am nearly 40; I will be 38 this month, and in my car I have the new Fallout Boy, the newest from Demi Lovato, and a trance CD by Roger Shah and Brian Laruso called "Global Experience". I also have a Chemical Brothers CD, "Dig Your Own Hole", which is really old; but I don't think it means I'm stuck in the past. It's still pretty good if you ask me!! But I don't listen to lots of older techno. I can still enjoy stuff by Fatboy Slim or The Crystal Method now and then, but not all the time. Even the Chem. Bros. CD doesn't get a spin very often! :sunglasses:

5. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Music (sub) genres are usually spawned by youth movements, so many people probably gravitate towards music that is of their contemporary age, or maybe slightly older. As Pete's Draggin' suggests, experiences are often very much tied to music and a lot of formative experiences get associated with music of the times.

Post millenium, I think even the way we consume music has a large impact on what people listen to. The participatory aspect of making a song go viral, digital radio stations and music services are a different framework than the standard fm radio.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  6. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

What are some of your fav genres (or bands) you're currently into?

7. Well, obviously because teenage years are very dramatic, all your hopes and dreams are still out there, waiting for you, and you've got a soundtrack to your life.

But I don't swing that way, necessarily. The music of my parents...that's my soundtrack too. Music girlfriends have listened to, I can dig it. But I don't generally watch MTV and think, "Man, these guys are good!" That virtually never happens. I remember when "Smells Like Teen Spirit" first came out, I was still listening to my Too Legit to Quit tape and I asked my sister naively, "Is he on DRUGS?!"

8. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

I think it's largely because your brain in quite literally forming & developing when you are very young & you become conditioned to associate certain types of music with quality.......plus, even moreso, in some ways because people pretty much give up on finding new music (I know I've almost given up myself at times, but when I do commence the search I always find at least some new good stuff)....the charts are depressing though, very little in the charts that I now like.

9. Music isn't as visceral anymore. It's all palatable...in someone's eyes. I don't know who's deciding what passes. Ellen maybe?

10. soulcompromise

I don't think I agree. I used to feel that way, but I have come to realize that it was me who wasn't "visceral", and that music was still everything it had always been. My thinking is that you just have to learn to love it for what it is. I would have never listened to a Demi Lovato album before because it wasn't Pearl Jam "Ten". Now I love Alabama Shakes and Fall Out Boy, not just like they were Temple of the Dog, but in a less fanatical way. I think that's the thing that changes. As we grow it's less acceptable to be fanatical about something; it just doesn't make sense anymore. Like Guerrilla Bedlam says,
    . I think that's likely the case for most music fans.

11. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

The neurological component is definitely an underrated variable, well also not fully understood. Here is an interesting documentary about the effects of music on elder people with Alzheimer's and Dementia called Alive Inside. It's pretty interesting to see how when played music of their youth, you can see a spark of liveliness grip some of the people.

I know neurologist Oliver Sacks has some interesting stuff regarding our minds and music as well, although I've not delved too deep into that particular work of his.

Adamskiffle likes this.
  12. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I listen to music from the 1950's right up until now.

But, yeah, it does irk me when people--even people my own age--bitch about how all "today's music sux. It's all auto tune garbage."

Thanks to places like YouTube, Spotify and Pandora, more artists are releasing music independently--artists who years ago would never be heard without a full on record deal--and it's now easier than ever to find. This very well may be the richest time in music history, and yet, 90% of humanity is moping around, whining about what probably adds up to 5% of all music coming out today.

13. It's never less acceptable. It's never more acceptable. You feel something or you don't. Don't give me half assed generic pop songs about it, don't give me half assed chickenshit lyrics about it. But that's just me. And I have a wide range of what I find to be truly honest and heartfelt, which is self-explanatory because there are so many songs like that. I could really care less what it sounds like, per se. Just lose the pretension.

14. soulcompromise

I'd say neonspectraltoast doesn't like getting old. :tonguewink:

15. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

It has been interesting to have heard the music before R&R and see the various sub-genres rise and in some cases fall. Those who have heard the music from the 20s --30s find it interesting and then the 40s with the big bands touring and participating in the movie industry were what was happening. Black music was not allowed on mainstream radio , so what we got was Frank Sinatra, Vic Damone, Kay Starr, Doris Day,etc and that type was big time until around 52'--53 when finally black music was beginning to hit the airwaves. Some of it was just too much for "those who controlled"---for example--Work with Me Annie--which was obviously a call for the Annie to do "things"that were unacceptable, so lily white Pat Boone was brought in to clean some of it up by singing--Dance With Me Henry. Fairly soon , it became equally obvious that some of these black guys could sell records! Then through the 50s 3 chord rock was king. The 60s 70s brought some REAL musicians and rock became better, more complicated and went on to what we have seen over the years with Grunge , Disco, Hip-hip, and other such offshoots. And here we are. My favorites from school---Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Fats, Chuck Berry, Ray Charles, Bo Diddley, etc. I can still listen to them along with music from various genres from then until now. Pink Floyd, Procol Harum still resonates with me. Fortunately, one of my sons is a musician, so I also hear some off the wall stuff. If there was no such thing as music--this would be a sad world, indeed.

16. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

To add: I can listen to "Wheels of Fire" any time. Genius.

17. It's NOT at all the richest time in music history. It's great that it's easy to access and anybody can put it out there, but millenials in general...no, they're just fucking bitches. Everything is handed to them on a plate and they think they're so great and wonderful and perfect. Not one of them could write Mr. Tamborine Man if they tried. Not in a thousand fucking years. You enjoy your Bright Eyes though. "I'm wide awake. It's morning." :O I'm jacking off, it's 3:25.

18. Alternative_Thinker

Alternative_Thinker Darth Mysterious

I was one of those people when I was younger. In the 90's, I was listening to the music of the 80's, and I really didn't give the music of the 90's a fair chance back then, save for a handful of bands. But as I grew older, I began to really enjoy the music of the 90's, and now I seem to be able to appreciate the music of the 90's as well as the modern stuff like djent and dubstep. Good music is out there if you only take a moment to look for it.

19. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

What's the point of listening to music you don't like, just to keep up with your years? Fuck that, I'll be 50 guarantee and I'll still be rocking out to Green Jellies 3 lil pigs, ICP fucking bee hives and Amon Amarth Vikings. :D that's what's defined me as a person, structured me into that wicked awesome clueless Imp that I am today. And I ain't changing that, to listen to a pack of sissy boy bands because they're on the radio.

20. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Thread is full of bitter old people.

And fuck Mr. Tambourine man.