Stuck in the past musically

Discussion in 'Music' started by Vanilla Gorilla, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Didymus Doppelgänger

Didymus Doppelgänger Misfit Lover

The promotion of a song is equally(maybe even more) as important as the song itself when it comes to selling millions.

Also, it can be easy to write em, its just the people that know how don't give away their secrets. Look at Linkin Park or the Foo Fighters. Everything they shit turns into gold, number 1 singles. And their songwriting isn't very good at all.
    I love the Foo Fighters musically and i love Dave Grohls voice, but his lyrics kill me sometimes.

2. PeaceInTheStreets

PeaceInTheStreets Member

Don't be a hater towards The Beatles. Not cuz I'm a huge fan but because their one of the greatest. But I agree with how people stick to music in their teens. I was born in the 90s but I HATE music from 2000 on. Anything on the radio these days drives me crazy

3. Shaw-Min

Shaw-Min Member

When a person has little taste, it tends to congeal is at their mind's peak of development. At least, that's I gather.

4. lunarverse

lunarverse The Living End

you mean it's not true to you. it's just my opinion, therefore I find it true. Although I shouldn't say the mid 80's, more like the mid 90's

5. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

They can make us listen, but they can't make is buy it. Every now and then, a heavily promoted CD flops miserably because people just don't like it.

Why the hell would they want to tell us their secrets? That would just be stupid.

There's more to this than taste. Tomorrow I may hear a Mozart symphony for the first time and think it's the greatest thing ever, but I won't become sentimental about it. It won't bring back great memories for me. I didn't go on high school dates and fuck to Mozart. People get attached to music for all kinds of deep emotional reasons because it penetrates so deep into your brain. You can discover and enjoy all kinds of new music without leaving the old stuff behind.

6. Didymus Doppelgänger

Didymus Doppelgänger Misfit Lover

I didn't say heavily promoting it will GUARANTEE it will become a success. But it sure as hell increases the chances.

I didn't say they should tell us our secrets.

7. odon

odon Slightly Popular

No. I know it isn't true.

If I had the time or/and the patience to list all the music that has been relesed in the last 15-20 years, and you could say: Nothing good there.
    I'd take you to have your head examined and your pulse checked.

8. infinito

infinito Member

I'm not the biggest Beatles fan in the world, but I think you're giving them the short shrift there. They were a boy band in the beginning, but they went on to do a lot of different stuff. Their songs can be childlike and annoying though.

9. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Seconded. A person may dislike everything released after the eighties, it's their loss anyway. But to say nothing good came out after it is just silly.

10. area_51

area_51 Banned

Music invokes memories.hearing a song when you were younger,can take you back in time. Tho i will go back to les paul and mary ford,to current.

11. samson

samson Hepcat

for me, the older music is the more i like it

Jazz and blues roots from the early part of the last century is ALWAYS preferred over anything made from about 1975 on. The originality of the early stuff blows me away where as the lack of depth in new music renders it almost unlistenable.

But hey, thats just me!
    :hat:

Asmodean likes this.
  12. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

I like the music of my mother's youth :p

13. area_51

area_51 Banned

i think i love you

14. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

lol why is that?

15. TheMagneticHeadache

TheMagneticHeadache Banned

A lot of times people forget music is a feeling, and get too attached to eras, bands and a narrow selection of styles... when in reality they could be finding out about even better music and getting a way more amazing "high" off of it if they just opened their mind up a little wider to what's out there.

16. shay16

shay16 Member

Same

17. DroneLore

DroneLore h8rs gon h8, I stay based

Right now I'm finding myself more interesting in modern music--stuff released in the past 10 years. Personally I hope that I never grow tired of hearing new music.

18. Mr.Writer

Mr.Writer Senior Member

i listen to music from the 1600s to music released this year.

19. zillagod

zillagod Member

I bet in 30 years you will still be attached to the current music of today, and not what will be happening then.:D

20. DroneLore

DroneLore h8rs gon h8, I stay based

You never know though, some people stay with the times. hell, some people manage to be consistently ahead of the times. see anthony braxton doing a collaboration with noise outfit wolf eyes.