Struggling with ED and pregnant.

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by Apples+Oranjes, Jun 28, 2006.

1. tigerlily

tigerlily proud mama

have you read anything about how abortions work? there are different types after all, but basically everything in your uterus comes out, so i really don't think a molar pregnancy in the uterus will make a difference.

2. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

Yes, they usually do an ultra sound before or even during the procedure, and the procedure is to clear the uterus, so a "blighted ovum" or Molar Pregnancy is treated with a D&C or Vacuum Extraction, the same procedure as an abortion. Only with a Molar, you don't have a fetus or embryo, if it matters (it does to some people) as the Mole can never become a human.

Most pregnancy problems at this stage are usually chromosomal or dietary, and your doctor would have nothing to see.

Good luck.

3. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

Yeah, and the whole abortion pill idea makes me sick to my stomach... It doesn't sound very safe, but if it is, someone please enlighten me.

4. nightwriter

nightwriter Member

The abortion pill can be a great choice for some. It has risks just like other types of abortion. Follow up care is essential!

Far more women have trouble with pregnancy and childbirth then with the abortion pill.

If there is a chance of an ectopic pregnancy, you SHOULD NOT use the abortion pill...its not created to deal with that condition.

Whether you have a standard abortion or use the abortion pill, if you run a fever, bleed a lot, or have severe pain, you should get in touch with a medical professional.

Because of your weakened body state due to your ED, I would guess that your practioner would want to do a standard abortion instead of the abortion pill.

5. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

That's exactly what I was thinking... that the pill wouldn't be a good idea considering my health. Both clinics around here also state that you must live within an hour of the clinic to use the medication, in case of emergency.

I do live only about 20 mins. from the clinic I'm going to, but the abortion pill wasn't really one of my top choices. From everything I heard, the pill really just varies from person to person, but overall I've heard little to no complaints about the vacuum aspiration. Most of the girls/women I've talked to who had surgical, vacuum abortions said that it was just like having a period, really, and nothing major.

I haven't talked to anyone who has tried the pill, and because of my health, that isn't a risk that I want to take.

On another note, today I've been having severe backaches, that range from my upper back, to sometimes, my lower back. I took an Aleve, because it just got to be too painful. The upper pain went away, but the lower back pain is still there, but dull. I'm not far along at all so is that normal???

If it helps any the first day of my LMP was May 21st... I haven't had any pregnancy symptoms, besides this cramping and back pain. In fact, that is the only reason I took the test, was because it struck me as odd to be having period-like symptoms, but yet, no period. Normally when you lose your menstrual cycle due to an eating disorder, you lose all PMS symptoms along with it.

And can they simply tell if you're going to have a miscarriage by the rise or fall of your hCG levels? Because my doctor seems to depending a lot on my hCG levels, which DID rise... but I still just don't "feel" right. Maybe I'm being a hypochondriac [and I tend to get that way] but I just don't feel like something is right, here.

And to Maggie Sugar:
    After the abortion, say it was a molar pregnancy, wouldn't it be a good idea to get checked on a couple times afterwards to make sure everything is still okay? I know the internet isn't always reliable, but from what I was reading, molar pregnancies can be a battle, and sometimes doesn't all go away even after the D&C. Is this true?

6. tigerlily

tigerlily proud mama

i chose not to take the pill because 1. i had to drive two hours away and go back for a follow up visit a couple weeks later and 2. it would take a lot longer to completely discharge the fetus and 3. there would the cleanup involved in having the miscarriage-type abortion. there probably isn't too much blood and matter in your case since you're not very far along and don't seem to be developing very well, but i did not want to go through the cleanup and bleeding and all that. there is bleeding anyway though, and the suction i went through was painful, but some places offer anesthetics. they gave me a valium and a shot of something on my cervix to numb it, but it still hurt and i felt sick afterwards. it's not an enjoyable experience by any means, but sometimes it's just the right decision.

7. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

I like your last statement, because those are the exact thoughts going through my head at this point and time.

I'm scared to death, really, but I'm dealing with it, because I can't let anything get in the way of making the best possible decision right now. And I know that if I let this pregnancy go on, in my unhealthy state right now, it would be a lot scarier then, than this will be, now.

The whole situation bothers me, really, because I almost don't feel as if I have a whole lot of room for a choice if I want to be healthy, and if I would want to have a healthy baby. I'm in a very early pregnancy, and I already am feeling very worn down by the whole thing mixed with my eating disorder.

Though, I mentioned I feel as if I don't have much of a choice, that doesn't imply that I "want" this baby.... rather, I never really wanted to have an abortion. As I stated a few times, I wish I could just go through with the pregnancy, at the very least, but I'm not willing to take that risk right now.

I'm thinking of giving my life a makeover when this is all through... not only working extra hard with recovering, but quitting smoking, and doing some more volunteer work as well....possibly at a daycare or something of some sort. I think my life needs it.

8. nightwriter

nightwriter Member

Hang in there and talk with your medical practictioners. Watch your intake of NSAIDS (like Aleve, Advil, etc.) and aspirin. They can increase bleeding which probably isn't what you want. I personally think they work better for pain relief than Tylenol, but for any medical procedure that involves bleeding, doctors often want you off them for a couple of days.

9. nightwriter

nightwriter Member

By all means, use this time to quit smoking. Your body already has enough to cope with due to your eating disorder and now possible pregnancy.

If you quit smoking, it should make coping with your eating disorder EASIER! I quit smoking when I was 20. It took me a few times. I never knew it would be so hard so you have all my support. Some people say it is better to go cold turkey. That didn't work so well for me the first time...

But after I started again, I went for almost a pack a day to just a few cigarettes a day. Huge difference! and it made it easier to try again a couple of weeks later. Then I had none for a few days and broke down and would have one every couple of days. Just knowing that I could have "one" tomorrow took a lot of the pressure off.

Don't worry so much about volunteering right now...just work on getting healthy. You've been through a lot.

10. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

Umm do you mean before the procedure? Because, yesterday and the day before I had to take an Aleve for terrible back pains... I never take anything except Aleve because its the only painkiller that doesnt give me a stomach ache....

I haven't taken any today... so I won't, but I am hoping the past couple days won't affect it.

I go for my counseling in a couple hours... Then I'll be able to figure out when this is going to happen too. I'm nervous, but I'm not.

11. tigerlily

tigerlily proud mama

yeah she meant after the procedure because aspirin thins the blood and will make you bleed more... makes clotting harder. good luck and hopefully you can figure this whole thing out soon :)

12. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

yeah i have the abortion counseling today, and im nervous.... its just counseling, but its like the "start" of the whole experience and yeah.

im trying to calm down, but its difficult, because this is new to me...its not like ive been through it before.

13. nightwriter

nightwriter Member

Good luck!

*hugs*

You are not alone.

14. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

Ok, so the counseling went WELL today, I left with a much clearer head, and now I understand much more what's going to happen and everything.

I had an ultrasound done, I'm only 4-5 weeks. Blood taken from my finger, to determine my RH factor. The nurse said all the girls complain about having their blood taken from their finger, but I didn't think it was bad.

Anyway, I get the abortion on Friday, at 10 in the morning. She said the whole procedure should only last 3-5 minutes, 20 minutes in the recovery room, and the rest of the time will be spent waiting, lol. The place is crowded, seeing as how its one of the only TWO clinics in the whole state.

Also had a run in with some protestors.

Interesting day. But I feel much better now, knowing whats going on.

15. nightwriter

nightwriter Member

Sorry about the protestors. I think anyone who has to deal with them should be able to sue them for harrassment and emotional distress.

I'm glad the counseling went well. After Friday you'll be able to breathe again.

*hugs*

16. barefoot_kirstyn

barefoot_kirstyn belly flop

glad to hear you're feeling better now.
    i'm also sorry about the protesters...if only they would actually look beyond the surface and see that for some babies, this is a better choice than being born with life long problems.

17. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

I understand where the protestors are coming from.... I know how it feels to have passion for a certain cause. But the fact that they ran up to me and asked me personal things was what bothered me.... I would have been more than happy to take one of their pamphlets had they peacefully just handed it to me.

18. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

QUESTION:

The day after I get this done, there is a wedding reception I was supposed to go to. I'm getting the vacuum aspiration done, if that means anything... Should I be able to still go? Or should I stay home? Would it be probable that I will be feeling better?

Everything the said and from what I read, by the next day I should be feeling myself again, but I'd rather take someones word from a person who has had the experience.

19. nightwriter

nightwriter Member

I think you should go ahead and plan to go to the wedding reception (if that is what you want to do), but if you don't feel up to it, then call in sick.

20. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

Alright, that's what I was thinking. From everyone I've talked to, what PP said, and the things I've read, the procedure I'm getting is pretty "user-friendly" and I should be feeling myself again extremely soon.
    So I hope it goes that way.