Strangest fear

Discussion in 'People' started by Tree-Hugger, May 8, 2004.

1. kazinspace

kazinspace Member

im REALY Afraid of moths and getting a serious mental illness. there my worst fears

2. Kastenfrosch

Kastenfrosch Blaubeerkuchen!! Lifetime Supporter

I am afraid of vomiting. But totally. it's called emetophobia, you can't think of anything else then that in bad times.

3. We_All_Shine_On

We_All_Shine_On Senior Member

mine would be.... trapped in a burning room, trapped in my mind (just me and my head) and that killer micheal meyers from halloween. i think the strangest of them all is:

-never meeting anyone on the same plane as me
    - SOMETHING INSIDE MY BODY like swallowing a bug, or something crawling in my ear, or something going into me, like a piece of wood or w/e. i dont meant like half in half out stabbing me, I mean 100% in my body.

4. We_All_Shine_On

We_All_Shine_On Senior Member

oh, and chalk. touching chalk like fingers on chalk UGH UHUHEWEEEW NASTY ugh makes me cringe. also, sliding your long fingernail down a piece of chalk and the chalk breaks off and makes dust and stuff and theres chalk deep under your fingernail omg EW

oh man ew.

5. maryfairy

maryfairy flower

i'm scared of doctor bags. like the ones doctors use to carry when they made housecalls. they absolutely terrify me. (i do however don't mind going to the doctors, and love going to the dentist)

6. cynical_otter

cynical_otter Bleh!

I'm grossed out by wet paper..especially tissues.

I also hate maggots and spiders.

my fear of spiders is paralyzing..and the maggot thing is like a nightmare.

7. FrozenMoonbeam

FrozenMoonbeam nerd

I pretty much have a bird phobia. Oh, they get me all panicky if they come too close...and if they come inside.....If birds are all getting stessed an flappy I will berunning scared. I have to leave my house if one comes inside or i will freak out. My mum thinks this may stem from me being strapped in my pushchair as a baby, eating a rusk and this huge great black swan came running out of the lake and ate it out my mouth - it was all scratchy in my face, and all flappy, and because I was strapped in, and so tiny (only about 2) I couldn't do anyhting....oooh, i'm getting all worked up just thinking about it.

8. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

I am afraid of spiders. Most bugs are ok, as long as they're not too big. But I can't touch even a small spider.

And cellars. I don't have a full basement, it's a cellar without a ceiling, just beams. If I had to go down there, I can't look up at all the spiderwebs...... I panic and just about throw up.

9. Brocktoon

Brocktoon Banned

I think we sometimes have justified fears.

When I was a boy I had some dangerous close-calls with bears.
    To this day Im terrified of bears and will not live anywhere that has bears in the area!

Now there are these 'abberant' fears. I think they are related to stress in our lives.
    In my case, I had two consecutive incidents.

I had a ball of fire go off around me and for some bizarre reason I was unharmed, despite the incredible ball of fire and searing 'napalm-like' substance I was engulfed in.

In a strange coincidence... I happened to be first on the scene of a horrific and massive wharehouse fire in which someone was trapped upstairs (and I was the only one who knew this) and I was trying to get past the flames but all I was almost paralysed with fear thinking the wall was going to 'expode around me'.
    (btw.. thank God someone did pull that person out of the fire)

Anyway.. after a few weeks and months went by I started to become extremely nervous and agitated at traffic lights.. if.. I had cars behind me and it was a red light.
    Then I noticed I would become nervous and sweaty if I was in a line-up (queue) of people.

Eventually I would become so terrified of being 'trapped' by crowds or people that I developed a mortal fear of leaving my house. (agrophobia sp?)

Later I found out this was all called 'PTSD' Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

I suspect that I was already extremely 'stressed' from an ugly divorce, a death in the immediate family, losing my job at the same time and having overwhelming financial problems.
    This combined with about two month straight of final exams and most importantly - my increasing lack of spiritual guidance and faith.

The unfortunate timing of the two fire incidents simply were all it took to put me over the edge.

Weirdly - Im not really 'terrified' of fire and I like sitting near one.
    But if I 'feel' like I can not escape a room or intersection because people are blocking me - then I feel panicky!?

10. TripAmerika

TripAmerika Member

I love bare feet and I'm not afraid of shoes but socks make me vom.

11. NightOwl1331

NightOwl1331 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I can't stand cardboard or brown paper bag or napkins. I've always been that way...still can't figure out why. Ugh...just the thought of those brown paper napkins like they have at Taco Bell....shudder. And I'm absolutly terrified of roaches. Absolutly terrified. But the other day one got in when the door was open and I killed it! I didn't become paralyzed with fear! I'm pretty proud of myself. And I actually feel bad about killing the poor little guy. :( When you think about it...its pretty weird that humans can be so scared of little bugs. And that seems to be a pretty common fear. I wonder what causes it.

12. lorelai_g87

lorelai_g87 Senior Member

I know it's stupid...but I fear the telephone when it's ringing. Still don't understand why!

13. Strawberry_Fields_Fo

Strawberry_Fields_Fo RN

Beat this one: I have Tocophobia--fear of childbirth. And I'm a virgin! I can't even think about getting pregnant...I'd kill myself if it ever happened. But the weird thing is I really like kids...that's why I plan on adopting all my kids. It's a really bad phobia though, cause it's not very common, no one understands cause they all have this "childbirth is beautiful" spiel that they give off, and for some reason women LOVE to describe their childbirth stories in great detail, like it's something I want to hear about!! I have to leave the room when that happens. And I also scream and run away anytime I'm flipping on tv and flip past those Discovery health channel things where the women give birth in front of the camera. Eeeekkk...I'm all freaked out now just thinking about it.

-Kate

14. DiscoDawn

DiscoDawn Members

Holy cow I have something like that.
    I dont mind if I call my husband or parents, because i know who is on the other line. But I would never bring myself to calling strangers, like if I had to reach the cable company or something. I'd just blank out.
    And I hate answering the phone too. Just afraid of who it might be, and weather or not if i can help them. LIke, I used to work at a music store, and I had to handle phones. I would always hesitate before picking up. And I would have to go over what I would say before I picked up. It's crazy.
    ----
    Oh and also. I kinda have this weird thing against cold water, like washing things in it, or whatever. It's like, cold water = dirty. I think thats from when I was little playing in the kiddie pool until it got cold, then leaves and crap would get in it. Eeew eew ew.

15. Jedi

Jedi Self Banned

lol, its true! sometimes I fear my room when its dark.

16. lorelai_g87

lorelai_g87 Senior Member

Oh my God, I can't believe it! I do feel the same way...when I have to answer the phone I ALWAYS hesitate.

17. TheChaosFactor

TheChaosFactor Senior Member

I think you're afraid of good music too, but I guess you could say the same about me :)

I've got a really unusual fear. I can't stand the thought of things being under my toe nail, and I flip out really badly if something goes under my toe-nail when I'm not expecting it. It's mainly on my big toes, but the rest are the same. It's HELL trying to clip my toe nails.

18. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

Chalkboard erasers and roaches...

19. livingwater

livingwater Member

I'd sayI detest and am not too fond of these things; Pests, TICKS esp.., Stinging insects, "the hospital smell", actually most insects...tooth cavities, public restrooms

20. Young One

Young One Member

BATHROOMS: Not bathrooms in general, but I always have to check in the closet, behind the door, and behind the shower doors, when I am really paranoid I have to check the clothes basket. If I am doing the Number Two I also have to take a tissue and wipe the toilet seat. and when I am in the shower I have a window in it and I have to make sure the blinds do not come up i spray the end of the shower curtuins to make sure they stay down. I'm such a freak!

I also fear being in the house alone. I normally do not leave the room I am in when everyone leaves and if I totally have to leave, I call a friend so if something happens they are in the house. Before my parents drive out of the driveway I also have to close every single door in the house so I know if someone is opening one so I can make a quick exit.

I am so paranoid. :confused: