Story Time

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by Art Delfo, Aug 18, 2005.

1. ryupower

ryupower NO capcom included

pretty much.And I learned something new today! :D
    I always thought they're the same on that line! ^^

2. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

it sounds kinda different to me...yes its long, and slightly off topic, but whatever

Catholic:The Church teaches that salvation to eternal life is God's will for all people. Salvation is in essence by Grace - in other words it is a free gift from God, granted to sinners through the sacrifice of Christ. However, unlike Calvinists, Catholics hold that there must be a free, human response to God's grace, which may either be accepted or rejected by the individual. Being justified by grace, baptism then grants renewal, forgiveness of sins and adoption into the church, the family of God. Following baptism, the Catholic Christian must endeavour to be a true disciple of Jesus. The believer must seek forgiveness of subsequent sins, and try to follow the example and teaching of Jesus. To help Christians, Jesus has provided seven sacraments which give Grace from God to the believer. These are, baptism, the eucharist, confirmation, reconciliation/confession, anointing of the Sick, Holy Orders, and matrimony.

The Catholic Church maintains that salvation is possible for non-Catholics and even non-Christians. If anyone outside of the visible boundaries of the Church (i.e. not a member of the Catholic Church) lived their life in such a way that they responded positively and fully to the grace and truth that God revealed to them, the Catholic Church teaches that salvation is possible for them through the graces Jesus won for humanity by sacrificing himself on the cross.

Orthodox:In the Christian West it has come to mean “Going to Heaven”, but for the Eastern Orthodox it refers to the change in Human nature that occurred because of Jesus' life and death. Man was originally created perfect, but through his own actions he embraced evil through disobedience to God. Because of man’s fall he was condemned, when he died, to go to Hell (Hades), indeed, it is believed that from Adam to St John the Baptist, all men went to a place of separation from God. But when Jesus came into the world he himself was Perfect Man and Perfect God united. Through his participation in becoming human, human nature was changed allowing us to participate in the divine, thus paving our way to heaven. This process of salvation worked retroactively back to the beginning of time, thus saving Adam and Eve and all that followed after them.

In the question of who is “Going to Heaven”, this rests upon the mercy of God. No man is perfect, but also no man is so corrupt that God, in his infinite mercy, cannot forgive him. The privilege of going to Heaven cannot be earned; men do not “deserve” Heaven. One cannot say, “I kept all the rules and regulations therefore God must let me in”; such an idea is called Pelagianism and was rejected by the church as heresy. God’s mercy alone is the key to our eternal happiness; the efficacy of this mercy, however, is contingent on our accepting it. God will not force us into salvation.

this is all off wikipedia by the way...just for references