Store smell

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Pressed_Rat, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I went to Target tonight because I needed some ankle-length socks.

I noticed these types of retail stores (Target, Wal-Mart, etc.) always have the same smell. The smell has not changed over the years, and no matter what area the store is in, it always has the same smell.

How would you describe that smell? It's like this nasty smelll which is like a combination of stale junk food, plastic and synthetic clothing materials. Really weird smell, but very distinctive.

If you were blindfolded and had your ears plugged, you would still know you're in a Target or Wal-Mart just because of the funky smell.

McFuddy likes this.
  2. Pressed_Rat

I have noticed that drug stores like CVS and Walgreens also have a distinctive smell inside.

3. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I've never noticed.

Pete's Draggin' likes this.
  4. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

It's the stuff they clean with, it's strong. Made to overcome whatever stench emanates from recently delivered merchandise. But also to counteract the stench of the general public since humans by and large stink more often than they smell like roses.

When I was in Martinique the hotel used Fabuloso EVERYWHERE. It was horrible. I visited a colleague at another hotel, same smell. There's an Asian market I frequent in Smyrna (Nom Da Mun) that smells like it as well. But they have so much fresh seafood you only notice the Fabuloso's nauseating smell in the dry goods areas. They also have ribeye steaks for about $5 a pound, never frozen.

5. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

No smell to me

Pete's Draggin' likes this.
  6. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I love the smell of shops. Especially chemists and stationery shops. I also like the smell of hospitals. Any place that is functional and civilised. I wish the world was one big chemist but with gardens and waterfalls and people holding hands.

7. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

ozone generators

8. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

I like the smell of hardware stores.

9. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Tire stores...love the smell of tire stores:D

10. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Hmmm gas stations

Eric! and EloiseAtThePlaza like this.
  11. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i've never noticed the smell in those kinds of stores. stores that specifically sell things with odors, like the tire and hardware stores mentioned above, sure. also, tjmaxx smells disgusting and i can't figure out why (or it did at least, i have no idea if that store is still even in business).

12. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

My favorite liquor store had a distinctive odor but I can't describe it...kind of a cardboard smell maybe, I dunno.

There is a type of wire we use where I work that has fire resistant insulation. It smells like the flip flop section of Walmart's shoe department.

13. Pressed_Rat

I find it's the smell of the wine corks that dominate the smell of a liquor store. There is also usually a faint booze smell, perhaps from bottles previously being dropped/broken.

14. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

The same thing with Home Depot they all smell exactly the same

[​IMG]

15. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Hardware stores are in my top 10 favorite smells. Always reminds me of going with my dad as a kid.

Also, thrift stores....that one has always been weird to me, you would think each one would smell unique because each item should take on the smell of the house/person from which they came...and yet, every thrift store smells exactly the same.

Eric! and McFuddy like this.
  16. Born25YearsTooLate

Born25YearsTooLate Hunting the mighty whifflesnark

I used to work at a book store. I loved going to work, because even though it wasn't a 'used' bookstore, it was warehouse overage.. so there was always that smell of paper and glue and the faint tinge of 'old dust' that comes with it...

themnax, tumbling.dice and McFuddy like this.
  17. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

I like the smell of tire stores :)

My chick friend has a festival clothing and jewelry shop, mostly for women, but I like to go in there and visit her. She's always burning the best incense.

18. Oh they are the best

Mmmmm

19. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

20. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

The Lowe's lumber section smells good to me. Reminds me of my grandad's workshop. He was a hell of a carpenter.