Stopping anti-depressants//Withdrawals

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by RainyDayHype, May 26, 2013.

1. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

I'm not entirely sure why I posted in this thread again. I guess maybe in hopes of a response from someone who has also gone through depression saying "I know how you feel" so I don't feel so alone.

But can someone truly understand what another is feeling when they don't know exactly what it's like to walk in that person's shoes? And even if I tried to explain, I think things would be lost in translation.

I think I will try making the list you suggested but for further tips, I guess I don't need them, because it looks like I'm going to go the route of taking anti-depressants again.

2. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJZ3bcPr-Ds&feature=player_detailpage"]Bill Withers - Lean on me - YouTube

3. RainyDayHype

Thank you for the sentiment e7m8,
    think I may need happier music though...

a band that always seems to lift my spirits is creedence clearwater

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu2pVPWGYMQ"]Creedence Clearwater Revival: Have You Ever Seen The Rain? - YouTube

4. lively_girl

lively_girl Member

The question isn't how you feel or how many people feel the same, it's why you feel the way you do. Do you understand that about yourself?

5. calgirl

calgirl Senior Member

I recently went off Cymbalta gradually over a weeks time and switched to Effexor. Both are seratonin inhibitors, I think. In any case with meds, I always go with recommendations, so I don't know what withdrawal is like. Of these 2, I find my sleep better is with Effexor. I've read though that when you discontinue, it's one of the worse to come off of. Cymbalta was great, but extremely expensive. Each manages my depression well.

What I value a lot about meds is that my personality and interests can thrive rather than always battling sadness, disinterest, and lethargy. I've been officially diagnosed however, and it's not surprising given the history of depression in my family.

6. RainyDayHype

yes..

7. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

yes and no.
    Depends on the type of depression.
    If it's situational, sure it helps too understand why, but for clinical depression, asking why beyond the physiological reasons can just lead to aggravation and further depression.

The thing that always surprises me is the astronomical numbers of people who take anti-depressants. I always wonder how many of you would be taking them if you hadn't seen or heard an advertisement for them?

I remember that advertising prescription medications on TV was simply not done. Now you have a bunch of people see some commercial and hear a laundry list of symptoms then self diagnose and seek out the "newest miracle drug".

Having grown up with a mother that was clinically depressed with radical mood swings, I have some experience with the disease.
    There is a huge difference between being depressed because of situations and being depressed because of faulty chemistry.
    Sadly that is often not clearly delineated so we have lots of people with mild situational depression taking powerful drugs designed for people with true long term chemical imbalances.

Anti-depressants have way too many side-effects and unknowns for me to ever be comfortable taking them, and I have considered it before.

I think I'll stick with weed for now, it works. :sunny:

8. RainyDayHype

I've never seen a commercial for my medication. I was prescribed celexa years ago after several suicide attempts. So I have clinical depression. Though my situation isn't helping my depression at all.
    I got my prescription for medical marijuana in november and weed does help me, but doesn't completely do the trick.

9. lively_girl

lively_girl Member

Do you see a therapist that you like and trust? Do they know that you stopped taking your medication?
    I'm asking because going off antidepressants is a big thing. Having all the support you can get at this time is important. Since you mentioned you don't have friends and family you could lean on right now, having a good therapist is crucial.
    The same goes for your eating and exercise routine.

10. RainyDayHype

I didn't want to get into too many details, but, no I'm not currently seeing a therapist. I used to actually see a psychiatrist for my prescription, so that's a bit different. I tried going back to that clinic a couple of months ago but they won't see me due to lack of insurance. I still have prescriptions on file for celexa though.

11. RainyDayHype

..but before we go any further with that, are you any more qualified than I am to be offering this type of advice?

12. lively_girl

lively_girl Member

Is the insurance expensive in the US? Would it cost you more than a therapist?

I really think it would be a good idea for you to find some additional support. I know we have support and self-help groups here. Perhaps there's something similar near your place?

13. RainyDayHype

I find it difficult explaining myself and things so I don't know if I can elaborate on how much of a pain it is to acquire insurance in the US. It's sad that I nearly laughed when I read that, "is insurance expensive in the US?" I have looked into private insurance and with pre-existing conditions it would cost me nearly $1,000 a month.

When I was seeing the psychiatrist, I qualified for (free) assistance but now I live with someone and I don't qualify for assistance because they base my qualification on his income, which doesn't make total sense because he doesn't support me. I just live with him.

14. lively_girl

lively_girl Member

No one on the internet really is. No one who has never even spoken to you ever will be qualified for it. Only a professional or someone with a lot of experience with fighting depression is truly qualified, which is why I posted my last post - to advise you to find someone qualified.

I'm not trying to pry into your life. I am trying to share what little I know and what I have seen worked for some people when they were fighting depression. That is all.

15. lively_girl

lively_girl Member

Damn, that just sucks. I'm not from the US, so I really had no idea...

Self-help and support groups then? I would imagine there are some good once, since the health insurance is unaffordable.

16. RainyDayHype

Okay thanks, I do appreciate it. I wasn't really looking for advice here, I was more so hoping I could find someone that can relate.
    I just find it all too common for people that have never even gone through depression to offer advice such as "oh just suck it up"...or "oh you just need to do this or that," when they have no idea.
    What about the people that are so deep in a depression that they don't even have motivation? What about those that can't even get themselves out of bed? Things are easier said than done.

17. lively_girl

lively_girl Member

Sometimes we just can't do everything by ourselves. I do know how much it means to have someone there for you when you really need them.

18. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

:2thumbsup:

why I pointed out that too often depression is just looked at as one issue, but there are many forms and various degrees of severity.

Honestly comparing what I call "situational or seasonal" depression with clinical depression due to chemical imbalances is like comparing a trip to the city dump with living in the city dump.
    There is no comparison, but as you point out Rainy, unless you have lived with it in some manner, it just doesn't register with people.

That's another reason why I am absolutely opposed to advertising prescription meds on TV that can cover a wide, often vague, range of symptoms.
    Most of us are a little bit of a hypochondriac already, we don't need the suggestive selling of the pharmaceutical companies convincing us we have problems!

Ban tobacco and alcohol ads on TV so there is room for "legitimate" drugs in the advertising time. :rolleyes:
    Now we don't have to worry that kids will be conditioned to smoke and drink, just that they will be conditioned to question their health/sanity and prompted to "ask your doctor about...." and all will be fine.
    This world has it's head so far up it's ass sometimes.
    Then again, housewives watching their "shows" are another ripe field for harvest with anti-anxiety, anti-depression, anti-IBS, anti-(insert your fav illness here) drugs the pharmaceutical companies are churning out.

But I still can't openly grow weed and use it as medicine in most of the country.

Head up the ass I tell's ya, head up the ass.......

19. lively_girl

lively_girl Member

:2thumbsup: