Stonehenge Summer Solstice

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by magicmonkey, Jun 2, 2004.

1. magicmonkey

magicmonkey Member

Has anyone got any details of what this years plan is, how long is it running for, what sound systems are turning up and all the other usual jive? also, anyone else attending this year? I'll be the weirdo breathing fire in the wee hours of the morning!

2. Paul

Paul Cheap and Cheerful

I'm thinking about taking my campervan

As long as there won't be any trouble with the police, first sign of any conflict and I'm off, I can't afford to get in any trouble right now

3. magicmonkey

magicmonkey Member

lol! it's not the late 80's any more! It's a lot more chilled out and relaxed these days, National Heritage provide toilets and drinking water, ask that no one leave litter and all that sort of stuff, much more civilised! I found this link earlier:

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/default.asp?wci=MainFrame&URL1=http%3A//www.english-heritage.org.uk/default.asp%3FWCI%3DNode%26wce%3D8551%26nolog%3Dtrue

'no amplified music' hmm, I don't think that'll last very long but then they are allowing instruments in there so it might yet turn into a funky bongo fest! Still, looks pretty well organised and there shouldn't even be a police presence I wouldn't have thought, well... not unless some idiot decides to try and spray paint the stones anyway.

4. Paul

Paul Cheap and Cheerful

The last time I did Stonehenge at the solstice was in 1984 and then Westbury in 1985 ... Old memories etc.

5. magicmonkey

magicmonkey Member

here's another site I found with pictures and everything! Looks like there will be police after all but not in roit gear this time round!

http://www.solsticesunrise.co.uk/

6. whispera

whispera Member

I would loveto come the only thing is i don't really know anyone else who is going, is anyone thinking of hitching from somewhere near Edinburgh?
    Claire

7. magicmonkey

magicmonkey Member

8. Paul

Paul Cheap and Cheerful

Claire, I don't know anyone either, I'll just take my chances. (nowhere near Edinburgh though unfortunately)

Is anyone thinking of camping. I can see the rules on the carpark but how restrictive are they? Is there a friendly campsite nearby?

9. magicmonkey

magicmonkey Member

Stonehenge Touring Park, Orcheston, Nr Shrewton. Tel: 01980 620304

Salisbury Caravan & Camp Site, Hudsons Field, Castle Road, Salisbury. Tel: 01722 320713

these are the camp sites recommended by English Heritage, I've not been to them myself though so no guarantees! Apparently the car park has to be empty at 1PM on the Monday so you could probably get a few hours kip in there if you were desperate...

10. ArtLoveMusic

ArtLoveMusic Senior Member

Hey last i heared
    Stardust, clairex, Giles and Jaycee were thinking about going and if they are im going to. I think Jaycee and me are going anyway. My parents are going to toodle along to because 20th june is my 18th.

11. chickabean

chickabean Senior Member

yahhh i should be joining stardust and giles for the 19th 20th and 21st...we gotta sell stuff tho to raise sum funds!! hehe...cannot wait!

12. stardust

stardust Banned

we are probably heading down early, (18th or 19th) and finding a little place to hide away, then we're going to the official stonehenge camp ground for the solstice itself then were going to avebury and gonna wait and see what happens after that. wait for life to hit us! anyone who wants to join us is welcome. be prepared for a little madness!

hope to see lots of you soon

peace and love
    stardust
    xxx

13. SunshineLily

SunshineLily Member

What day is the actual solstice? If it's friday, saturday and sunday then I should be able to make it. Would be an ace time to meet everybody again too! :D
    Loads of Love,
    Sunny
    xxx

14. Dandelion_Blood

Dandelion_Blood Gremlin

i am planning to hopefully come down after work on the sunday and stay to the monday as i don't have any college mondays! *fingers crossed*

15. JOsie

JOsie Member

i was fully up for going...i just don't have any idea how i'd get there or back...being as skint as i am...

16. Alomiakoda

Alomiakoda Boniface McSporran

The 21st is a Monday so it would have to be Sunday Monday Tuesday

17. boog

boog A square peg

i think am goin down on either the sat or sunday and stayin till i run out of things to do :)
    It would be nice to meet some of you friendly folk
    i'v no travel plans yet so ill just take it as it come's

18. jonny2mad

jonny2mad Senior Member

I will be going to I think not sure when or how Im getting there :)

19. Merlin

Merlin Member

I'm 80% going. I'm making sure I have plenty of cash for travel costs this year, and staying in the area for 2 nights instead of just one. :eek:p

Hopefully I will get the days I've booked off. I should. Either by Moan or train. They're my two most likely forms of transport.

20. autumn_jewels

autumn_jewels Member

i not goin, think i start work that day....day before i am in lakes for world juggling day

but when iu live in bristol nxy yr u wont be abble to stop me
    heh
    sortry bout spellin
    been drinkin an fed up fo correctin it
    by the way NOW 11 ROCX

heh
    autumn