Still So many unbelievers on the virus

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by travelguy61, Jul 2, 2020.

1. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

99 bottles of beer on the wall, 99 bottles of beer. take one down pass it around
    98 bottles of beer on the wall.....

[​IMG]

Bicaptain My Captain likes this.
  2. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Well then, if you say viruses selectively work along political lines. Then I will say the pandemic will end on November 4th

3. hotwater

To put into words what Trump has done over the past 5 months in dealing with this pandemic is nothing shy of criminal.

I know he has his share of odd friends like Vladimir Putin, Kim Jong-Un, and Bolsonaro of Brazil, but how the fuck do you become BBF with a virus?

Since the pandemic was first recognized he’s been downplaying the threat it posed, falsely declared “we are very close to a vaccine” hyping drugs that had little or no effect, and declaring
    “It will simply go away. Just stay calm” - he has become an enabler for the virus.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  4. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

"Appleby did not release the patient’s name, nor did she say when the party happened or when the man was admitted to hospital."

Uhhhh huh

5. hotwater

Like that really matters. He fucked up, he fucked bad and paid the ultimate price.

6. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

.....or....she made it up

7. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

6-eyed shaman likes this.
  8. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

[​IMG]

hotwater likes this.
  9. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Seems others are starting to notice:

SUBSCRIBE
    GILAD EDELMAN
    07.14.20 7:00 AM
    IDEAS
    The Latest Covid Party Story Gets a Twist
    Like any urban legend, this one changes slightly with each telling.
    [​IMG]
    ILLUSTRATION: WIRED STAFF; GETTY IMAGES

The Covid party craze continues to sweep the nation—or, at least, the nation’s news organizations. The latest example comes from Texas, where a 30-year-old man is said to have confessed on his death bed that he had attended one. “Just before the patient died,” announced Jane Appleby, chief medical officer at Methodist Hospital in San Antonio, “they looked at their nurse and said, ‘I think I made a mistake. I thought this was a hoax, but it’s not.’”

SUBSCRIBE
    [​IMG]
    Subscribe to WIRED and stay smart with more of your favorite Ideas writers.
    What started out as local news in south Texas on Friday soon became a national story. By Sunday it had made its way into a write-up for The New York Times, which duly quoted one physician’s warning that such parties are “dangerous, irresponsible, and potentially deadly.”

Two weeks ago, I noted that news reports about Covid parties—in which people supposedly get together with the goal of catching the virus—have followed a remarkably consistent pattern. The source is invariably a government or health official who is several steps removed, at least, from any firsthand knowledge of the alleged event. The story is first reported by local media, then picked up and amplified by larger publications that add little or no additional reporting. A few weeks ago, for example, the internet blew up with a tale of Alabama college students who were supposedly throwing parties with infected people and betting on who could catch the virus first. Outlets from the Associated Press to CNN picked up the story, with its ready stereotypes about Southerners and idiot college kids. But when I looked into it, I realized that all the news reports traced back to comments from a single Tuscaloosa city council member, who offered no evidence for the claim.

Shortly after my piece came out, the University of Alabama student newspaper published an article in which Ramesh Peramsetty, a Tuscaloosa doctor whose clinic has been offering Covid tests, confirmed the rumor was true. When I followed up with Peramsetty, he admitted he had no firsthand knowledge of the Covid parties; it was something he heard from his staff, who work directly with patients. He directed me to Jerri Hanna, a clinical manager, who he said had direct knowledge. Hanna, however, told me that she had heard about Covid parties from yet another clinic employee. That second employee, who asked that I not use her name because she has been harassed while running testing sites, revealed that she’d only heard about the parties from someone else on staff—but couldn’t remember exactly who. The rumor remained a rumor.

The Texas story is more of the same. A patient—who is now dead, and thus can’t confirm the story—supposedly told a nurse, who told others at the hospital. In her video, Appleby, the health director, doesn’t claim otherwise; she says she “heard a heartbreaking story this week.” In a related interview for a local station, Appleby describes hearing about parties in which “someone will be diagnosed with the disease and they’ll have a party to invite their friends over to see if they can beat the disease.”

News organizations, including The New York Times, have reported the story without trying to get to the bottom of it, or even finding out basic information such as where or when the alleged party took place. Some even create a false sense of certainty by crafting headlines that omit the source of the claim, like ABC News’s “30-Year-Old Dies After Attending ‘COVID Party’ Thinking Virus Was a ‘Hoax.’” In the meantime, the San Antonio Express-News reported that the city’s Metropolitan Health District “had not heard of such parties taking place in the Alamo City.” When I reached out to the hospital for comment, communications director Cheri Love-Moceri told me that Appleby wasn’t available and had “shared all that she is able to regarding this patient.” She also said the hospital couldn’t share the name of the nurse who reported the death bed confession.

Like any urban legend, the Covid party narrative changes slightly with each telling. Until this latest iteration, the events have almost always been described—or imagined—as if they were analogous to the “pox parties” of old, where people tried to catch a virus, and become immune, so as to “get it over with.” That description already didn’t seem to fit the alleged Tuscaloosa incident, where college kids were said to have been gambling on the outcome. In San Antonio, it’s even less germane: If the victim really thought the pandemic was a hoax, why would he have been hoping for the antibodies? So now the Covid party concept has expanded. Thus The New York Times informs us, as if we won’t notice there’s a sly addition, that “the premise of such parties is to test whether the virus really exists or to intentionally expose people to the coronavirus in an attempt to gain immunity.” The narrative also seems to grow ever more dramatic as it’s reimagined: first, a betting pool, now a dying man’s reveal.

None of this is meant to suggest that public officials are lying. Stories inevitably mutate as they’re passed from one person to another. Nor should anyone make light of a tragic, untimely death. People like Jane Appleby are trying desperately to get the American public to take the coronavirus seriously. If she hears a perfect cautionary tale, it isn’t necessarily her responsibility to investigate whether it’s too perfect before passing it along. It is, however, precisely the job of reporters, who continue to fail at it with each bout of Covid party coverage. Hundreds of stories have been published on the subject, yet I haven’t found a single example of someone telling a reporter that they personally attended or witnessed a Covid party. No Instagram posts, no cell phone videos, no screenshots of party invitations.

The Latest Covid Party Story Gets a Twist

10. hotwater

[​IMG]

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  11. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

12. 6-eyed shaman

Damn, people are now threatening others with death for not wearing masks.

These people, are the modern "useful idiots"

13. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

[​IMG]

Its just unbelievable.

The amount of bullshit that is left vs right politics has grown to such an epic mass its like it formed a gravitational field like that of a black hole.

Nothing can escape it anymore not even the wearing or not wearing of a face mask in a germ pandemic that tend to hit every 100 years.

Stupid germ no brains at all we could have extinguished months ago.

14. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

Are you not threatening my life by coming close no mask speak spitting germs ?

Stand-Your-Groundlaw states, “A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in any other place where he or she has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force if he or she reasonably believes ...it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another...

Can I stand my ground or do I have to retreat if some no masker wants to possibly give me a deadly germ shower ?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  15. Tyrsonswood

16. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I totally thought for a second this was going to be about the age of the moon.

The Moon Is Millions of Years Younger Than We Thought, Scientists Suggest

[​IMG]

I have become a little bitter and pessimistic about the public reaction to the virus. The more I see it the less I like it.

It seems to me people are deliberate in their ignoring social distancing in stores and public spaces. Yesterday some guy walked maybe a foot away from me! One foot!! I was in disbelief... Has he not heard of social distancing??? Perhaps he just forgot.

But in the social climate of people who don't care/haven't heard, it's really hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. It doesn't look hopeful when you go to a Costco right now and nobody follows the rules.

It seems to me people need to wise up, or we need to implement a strategy for social distancing enforcement in stores by employees, and if they aren't regulating it, they get reported to an agency that will seek civil reparations from the business. It's time. Get serious. Get with the program.

17. 6-eyed shaman

18. 6-eyed shaman

Liberals are more worried about who’s not wearing masks than they are about who’s trafficking children.

19. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Probably not, huh.

It's almost our fault that people can't figure out how the virus works. & somehow politics is still important*.

20. Tyrsonswood

Proof?

Tishomingo likes this.