Still So many unbelievers on the virus

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by travelguy61, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

We can't be sure. Do you feel lucky?

2. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

Ah, Six. There you go with your simplistic 4-chan/reddit NPC meme again. Actually, you and the right wing deniers and minimizers, are the grey men--following the leader and your mindless meme into oblivion. One doesn't have to stay inside to take normal precautions: social distancing, washing hands, using hand sanitizer, and wearing a fucking mask!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  3. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I don't want to get the virus but I'm trying to be optimistic about it. No sense in messing up your head worrying about it.

They're starting to look for volunteers for a trial vaccine, I thought about it but when I checked it out they said it required about 12 follow up appointments over the next couple years and I can't commit to that. Not sure where I'll be in a year or two.

4. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Unless you’re wearing a medical grade N95 mask, the virus will slide right through your mask of fabric or paper. If you’re not wearing a N95 mask, you’re just virtue signaling your obedience to big brother

5. 6-eyed shaman

14AC8C42-4264-4DE3-9F16-650BDB27A5A3.png

Attached Files:

6. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Or is it more genuine than that...

I think there's something to be said for solidarity in this particular event. We should stand united to show that despite our fear we are strong, intelligent, and composed. :)

Good mask! That's funny! :)

7. Idlewild

Idlewild Members

I've seen some conservatives write about "heard immunity (sic)." Maybe they believe that if you don't hear about the dangers of the coronavirus, it will all just go away. :smile:

8. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Swear word prefixing mask, suffixed with an exclamation point

Can you articulate why you think facemasks are of any use?

Is it because they look protective? Is it common sense to you?

Testing humans for the actual number of virions it takes to get infected, how they actually enter your system, which part of the body actually best replicates the virus is all impossible

But with caterpillars, it looks like it can be a single virion

One Virus Particle Is Enough To Cause Infectious Disease

Let's recap:

You can't see the virus of course, you have no idea how many virions it takes to get infected, no idea how many virions are in a single water droplet than can stay suspended in the air for at least a minute, thus no idea how many times, even during full lockdown, you actually might be exposed to the virus in a single trip to the supermarket

And yet.....we have a bunch of people, not wearing gloves, not wearing eye protection, wearing non binding face masks chasing away people in supermarkets and coffee shops for not wearing a non binding facemask

For influenza it takes roughly 2000 virus particles for a human to get infected and there are about 10,000 particles per cubic metre in places like airplanes and medical centres

Influenza Virus Aerosols in the Air and Their Infectiousness

And it's becoming slightly more obvious that sars-cov-2 is slightly more infectious

A facemask that doesn't seal around your nose and mouth was always going to be useless

6ft of social distancing indoors was also always critically inadequate

Why aren't they pumping N95 masks out like crazy?, we are coming up to 8 months since the first confirmed case in Wuhan

9. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

239 experts just got the WHO to change their advice on the aerosol vs airdroplet spread of the virus

Dr Anthony Fauci wasn't one of them. You have to ask why

10. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I'll add my two cents.

I just feel like we can raise the collective consciousness and thereby the intelligence about the disease. Perhaps it doesn't lend itself to prevention, but we can be one united front against it rather than a divided muddled and disorganized gaggle of whackjobs.

It feels better VG. It feels like I'm on the side of the law. On the side of proverbial good.

And that's all just psychological behavioral stuff.

I think also there is a chance the stop virus from getting in your nose mouth and lungs to some degree; though as you've pointed out the eyes are still exposed.

Do you think that there's a chance that the mask works for at least 30% of the virus-risk? I think it might.

And they wear paper masks in hospitals all the time to stop whatever they can from being communicable. That's standard protective gear for hospitals I think, or do they have N95?

11. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Let's recap the plan again

In order to stop the virus you needed to get every country in the world to do an equally good job of containing the virus

Which means you needed countries like India to give a shit once they worked out it's not going to kill as many Indians as Italians, once they worked out trying to contain the virus would kill more Indians by hunger than Covid...and Russia, and Indonesia, and most of Africa etc etc

.....or keep your borders closed basically forever and within your own country, Canada wasn't it?, make sure you look after everyone under 40 financially to make sure they don't spread the virus. And well, you couldn't even do that, a couple of pissy furlough payments were never going to accomplish that

12. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

Not true. The point of the mask is not to protect the wearer but to protect people from the wearer by impeding droplets rom sneezing or coughing.
    Can face masks protect against the coronavirus?
    Face masks greatly reduce risk of COVID-19: Watch this video to see how
    Face masks critical in preventing spread of COVID-19, Texas A&M study shows
    So who am I gonna believe? A couple of internet trolls or the Mayo Clinic?

Tyrsonswood and hotwater like this.
  13. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Take a look at the worldwide new cases per day, switch to the logarithmic scale to give you a better look at the slope of the graph

Coronavirus Update (Live): 12,543,734 Cases and 560,123 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Pandemic - Worldometer

The sum total of all the worlds lockdowns, all this stuff about social distancing and facemasks, it all only cut the slope of that graph in half

We might get the Oxford University vaccine by October, the chance of that one being even 50% effective for over 65s is close to zero though and it still won't be enough time to pump out 3 billion doses by the time Northern Hemisphere winter hits

The only thing stopping it being 10 times worse next January is if the virus itself mutates into too many non lethal strains

14. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

What is it you think the Mayo clinic is actually telling you

This from that first link, becuase obviously yet again you didn't even read the articles you are linking

"Actually a type of respirator, an N95 mask offers more protection than a surgical mask does because it can filter out both large and small particles when the wearer inhales. As the name indicates, the mask is designed to block 95% of very small particles. Some N95 masks have valves that make them easier to breathe through. With this type of mask, unfiltered air is released when the wearer exhales.

Health care providers must be trained and pass a fit test to confirm a proper seal before using an N95 respirator in the workplace. Like surgical masks, N95 masks are intended to be disposable. However, researchers are testing ways to disinfect N95 masks so they can be reused.

Some N95 masks, and even some cloth masks, have one-way valves that make them easier to breathe through. But because the valve releases unfiltered air when the wearer breathes out, this type of mask doesn't prevent the wearer from spreading the virus. For this reason, some places have banned them"

Now that sounds to me a lot like the Mayo clinic is telling you that even N95s are not 100% effective, or even 95% effective as the 95 in N95 suggests

15. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Holy shit some people are so fucking stupid

16. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

I think the Mayo Clinic is telling me that "face masks combined with other preventive measures, such as frequent hand-washing and social distancing, help slow the spread of the virus." " Asking everyone to wear cloth masks can help reduce the spread of the coronavirus by people who have COVID-19 but don't realize it." Seems clear enough to me.[/QUOTE]

17. 6-eyed shaman

Where I’m from, they call themselves “liberals”

18. 6-eyed shaman

Sigh

More of this “we are in this together” talking points...

Where does your solidarity fetish come from?

19. Tyrsonswood

Around here they are called Trump supporters

granite45 and Tishomingo like this.
  20. Tyrsonswood

Okay, Karen...

yr73tohjxz951.jpg

hotwater and Tishomingo like this.